Why become a member? ×

Bass synth: Has anybody on here...

Kiwi

Perfected the use of a compressor into a bass synth pedal or even an envelope filter?

Squashy settings seem to cause glitches due to the raised noisefloor but in principle it should make the dynamics more consistent.

What's the secret?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484145586' post='3213016']
Use a keyboard ;-)[/quote]
:) Oh nice try, Sir.

Left handers aren't typically comfortable on keys - melodies are played with the right hand. Although, having said that, it didn't stop Phil Collins composing on one or Jools Holland (boogie woogie favours the left hand). I do pretty good with the Future Impact - it tracks my self built bass well but I'm still looking for potential improvements.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1484144808' post='3213009']
Perfected the use of a compressor into a bass synth pedal or even an envelope filter?

Squashy settings seem to cause glitches due to the raised noisefloor but in principle it should make the dynamics more consistent.

What's the secret?
[/quote]

Filter then compressor.

Otherwise the filter can't react properly as the compressor limits it too much. My board has the envelope filter and synth pedals first, then compression, then drive. Works well.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1484216364' post='3213544']
Filter then compressor.

Otherwise the filter can't react properly as the compressor limits it too much. My board has the envelope filter and synth pedals first, then compression, then drive. Works well.
[/quote]

I'm doing exactly the same, I run my comp after synths and filters.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1484206067' post='3213447']
Sorry to be slightly off topic, it can you get left handed keyboards that run the other way? I can't recall ever seeing one but it would be so simple to do on an electronic one.
[/quote]

A "left-handed keyboard" sounds well dodgy, like slang for something or other.

Has anybody noticed if using an eq before say, a future impact improves tracking? Maybe cleaning up all the sub lows improves tracking? Mind you, I'm guessing that the filters inside the Future Impacts triggering mechanism already do that if it's necessary?

I agree with compression on the output as suggested above but I might play around with some light limiting before the FI and see if the noise floor is lifted.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1484206067' post='3213447']
Sorry to be slightly off topic, it can you get left handed keyboards that run the other way? I can't recall ever seeing one but it would be so simple to do on an electronic one.
[/quote]
You can but they're like unicorn poo

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1484223205' post='3213649']
Has anybody noticed if using an eq before say, a future impact improves tracking? Maybe cleaning up all the sub lows improves tracking? Mind you, I'm guessing that the filters inside the Future Impacts triggering mechanism already do that if it's necessary?
[/quote]
Not exactly eq related but it and the Deep Impact both responded really well to single pickup basses like P-basses with flats and particularly Stingrays. Also does well with graphite necks but anything with two pickups and a scooped sound tends to glitch more easily. The Deep Impact used to track my Cutlass basses and the Modulus Sonic Hammer almost perfectly. I got the sense that there might well be a set of target frequencies that the pedals monitor for pitch tracking and related harmonics that make it glitch.

The problem with eq-ing for these frequencies is that eqing needed is going to be different for each note played.

OK I tried the Effectrode PC2A and it worked really well. Whatever it does, it seems to fatten up those frequencies that are sensed by the Future Impact making the tracking a little more stable. Noice floor issues didn't seem to cause any glitching. I'm curious to know whether it's just this compressor (powered by a valve) that does it or whether other compressors might work in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...