Why become a member? ×

quite the little del boy

addictedtobass

£15 ? hes making more than that . the deco stuff goes for half its new price approx. then hes adding more on top at a rough guestimation more like £40-£60 per sale. just got off the phone from ebay and have managed to make some progress after arguing the fact that this person is selling under false pretences. so gonna try and get him spanked down.

[quote name='addictedtobass' timestamp='1484213456' post='3213517']
£15 ? hes making more than that . the deco stuff goes for half its new price approx. then hes adding more on top at a rough guestimation more like £40-£60 per sale. just got off the phone from ebay and have managed to make some progress after arguing the fact that this person is selling under false pretences. so gonna try and get him spanked down.
[/quote]

Good man.

Here's another view: There are more important things to get worked up about. I don't condone what this guy seems to be doing, but our entire system is based on the premise of buying something and selling it at a profit. The market will decide if it succeeds or not. [i]Caveat Emptor[/i].

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1484159271' post='3213182']
Buyers need to do their own market research.
[/quote]

Agree that there are more important things, and i doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things . but have you ever bought a lemon ? wether it be a bass , car etc, i have ! and i remember how sick i felt . market research is a good thing and a must but it only works if you have the relevant info on the product you have to research as in brand , model number etc. I am not trying to come across as "outraged from Milton Keynes" but i have a strong sense of fairness , and that extends to items i sell aswell. and to me this seems very very wrong. not sure if i will achieve anything but i feel its right to at least flag up people like this. Aint much that holds society together nowadays but giving a damn IMHO is one of those things

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1484215039' post='3213532']
Here's another view: There are more important things to get worked up about. I don't condone what this guy seems to be doing, but our entire system is based on the premise of buying something and selling it at a profit. The market will decide if it succeeds or not. [i]Caveat Emptor[/i].
[/quote]

Welcome back Discreet!

There are indeed more important things to get worked up about but I am am glad to see this getting discussed none the less. It is difficult enough to find out if you have any talent for music without getting an instrument from a well meaning relative who doesn't realise what the "D" means. I fear these instruments will discourage some aspiring players from ever going further.

Thomann clearly label their decorative instruments and have about six different ones from about 35 quid for a miniature (50cm long) Warwick thumb to about 95 quid for a Harley Benton BM-75. It doesn't hurt their sales of real instruments one bit.

Get the bugger to declare exactly what he is selling I say. I am all for free trade but not when it is immoral as this appears to be.

[quote name='addictedtobass' timestamp='1484215998' post='3213538']
Agree that there are more important things, and i doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things . but have you ever bought a lemon ? wether it be a bass , car etc, i have ! and i remember how sick i felt . market research is a good thing and a must but it only works if you have the relevant info on the product you have to research as in brand , model number etc. I am not trying to come across as "outraged from Milton Keynes" but i have a strong sense of fairness , and that extends to items i sell aswell. and to me this seems very very wrong. not sure if i will achieve anything but i feel its right to at least flag up people like this. Aint much that holds society together nowadays but giving a damn IMHO is one of those things
[/quote]

I accept this completely, but if you want to be sure, buy from a retail store. That way your consumer rights are protected by law. Risk is what goes with the saving in money.

An alternative is to buy basses that are harder to copy. Warwick, Spector, Ricks etc are all harder to copy. When you hold it you know it's the real thing. None of those are cheap, but a Rockbass at £300 is good value for the money.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1484226894' post='3213697']
You could "ask a question" on ebay asking what the D stamp means, or even "why would I buy this from you when Thommann who you get them from sell for less than half this price?"
This scheme is probably why folks on here are finding the deko ones are going so fast.
[/quote]

he'd just ignore the question and won't be displayed on the ad...

This issue has been discussed a number of times, both on the 'Deco' thread and in other places. I contacted this guy some time ago as to what make the Bass was as the photos were vague to say the least. By quick return he confirmed they were HB and he offered me a BIN price of £15 less than he had it listed, circa £100 if I remember rightly. I did not take the exchange any further, as others have said life's too short: initially I got steamed up about misrepresenting a Deco as perfect but I doubt Thomann nor eBay are bothered as long as the listing does not deliberately misrepresent the item. It may morally be 'off' but legally its fine. There are bigger crimes out there: NHS, Bankers, Trump...don't get me started!

What is mildly annoying is all the Decos now vanish super quick, before you had time to deliberate if you really needed Bass Uke etc etc!

Edited by yorks5stringer

I emailed thomman earlier this morning , outlining the situation , and also added that being as they are a web based business who rely on reviews as part of the whole online sales thing , anybody who picks up a HB guitar as new and it turns out to be a real dog will more than likeley be putting some form of negative feedback on any number of intraweb things , including the thomman site itself. this may make the difference between item(s) sold or not sold. it may hold sway that they are an ebay sponsored seller and there is an obvious conflict of interests here (namely someone buying substandard thomman products ,and attempting to sell them over the heads of a buisness as big as theirs) wether they are too big to care or not remains to be seen. but at least i have done as much as i can do by contacting both thomman and e bay.

It's the same in a few markets. There's a particular watch brand I'm quite fond of (I have about 12) that sometimes has really good sales.

There's a few buyers out there that snap up some of the sales watches and, almost immediately, bung them up on eBay at the full price.

A current example is a nice watch available in the sale for £1,000. On eBay it's listed at £1,400.

You'd think people would be smart enough to check the current retail value if something but a couple of these sellers keep doing this and you can see the watches selling!

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1484218405' post='3213580']

Welcome back Discreet!

There are indeed more important things to get worked up about but I am am glad to see this getting discussed none the less. It is difficult enough to find out if you have any talent for music without getting an instrument from a well meaning relative who doesn't realise what the "D" means. I fear these instruments will discourage some aspiring players from ever going further.

Thomann clearly label their decorative instruments and have about six different ones from about 35 quid for a miniature (50cm long) Warwick thumb to about 95 quid for a Harley Benton BM-75. It doesn't hurt their sales of real instruments one bit.

Get the bugger to declare exactly what he is selling I say. I am all for free trade but not when it is immoral as this appears to be.
[/quote]

This +1

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1484233883' post='3213799']
What is mildly annoying is all the Decos now vanish super quick, before you had time to deliberate if you really needed Bass Uke etc etc!
[/quote]

Sorry, that was me. Great little uke with nothing wrong with it. Not a fan of the strings though.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1484729686' post='3217772']
Sorry, that was me. Great little uke with nothing wrong with it. Not a fan of the strings though.
[/quote]

No, its all right, I managed to get one about a year ago before they 'vanished in seconds', kept it a while and re-sold it on here just before Christmas at the price I paid. As for the strings,'They all do that sir'!

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1484729686' post='3217772']
[/quote]

Are those the squidgy synthetic rubber ones? I thought they felt like I was squashing bogies against the fret board. In fairness, I sometimes do that anyway but I resent being made to feel like I'm doing it even when I'm not. Know what I mean?