Why become a member? ×

Best of British

Mykesbass

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1484253476' post='3214127']
I also have a fondness for the amps of H|H Electronics,
[/quote]

I think there are quite a few of us who have a nostalgic soft spot for HH - my first school band, bass and two guitars through a 100 watt PA head, into some sort of home built 15" cab. I'm sure they were nowhere near as good as we like to think :huh:

I'd love to use a totally British set up.im nearly there!! My Wal's are my go to basses and I'm very happy with my barefaced super12/big twin cabs but the only snag is my tecamp puma 900.its by far the best micro amp I've had so far.does anyone know of a British equivalent in terms of sound/size/quality?? I'd love to 'complete the circle ' so to speak.
And for the record,I've just brought a status series ll headed 5 as a back up and am pretty blown away by its quality/sound and ergonomics.bloody marvellous instrument.yeeeeah!! Hear hear for best of British bass:-)!!x

Back to HH amps. Stuart Adamson got some fantastic sounds out of his old HH with Big Country. I had an Orange 120 watt amp back in the day and never got it past half way before the volume started to dislodge masonry. Stonework that is, not the men's club.

I'm very surprised nobody's mentioned SeiBass yet. I have an '03 (I think) headless Original.

I also have a Shuker P, and until recently I also had an '84 Wal Custom.

As for guitars, I have a '93 Eggle Berlin Plus and a '13 Rob Williams custom Telecaster. Oh, and a Cornford Hurricane combo.

I'm not consciously pro-British (and have plenty of kit from the US and Japan). It's just the stuff I had when I quit playing for a living but don't have the heart to sell.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1484307148' post='3214509']
Basses - Japanese, excelent QC and detail, not mentioning sound as its subjective.

Amps - British/German/USA, there's a lot of quality gear from these countries, there are also lots of unreliable amps that overheat and/or go into flames...
[/quote]

Nothing Portuguese? B)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1484310195' post='3214545']
Nothing Portuguese? B)
[/quote]

There aren't manufacturers over here. We have luthiers but i don't fancy a custom build as if i can't get along with it (even though at the time of the order it could be everything i wanted in a bass) it would be a PITA to sell without a big loss.
There aren't also amp/cab companies here, the ones that are manufacturing amps do it fo PA purposes or are DIY builders. Same goes with fx units.
It's a very small country to build such a niche company when competing with the big boys.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1484320579' post='3214679']
There aren't manufacturers over here.
[/quote]

I should have mentioned that this is in the Bass Guitar field, we have a very old tradition of accoustic instruments building and i do own a Uke bass from a Portuguese builder that is pretty good and sounds great.