Why become a member? ×

Basschatters opinions required..

miles'tone

Today I put an ad up here to trade my cream Dimarzio Model P for a black one as I didn't think the cream worked with the Fiesta red of my fretless. All good.
However, upon chatting to the wife she said she really likes the look, it's different and why be like everyone else? Fair point.
Now I'm thrown as I've got the ad up (not trying to plug it btw, just not sure whether to withdraw it and I don't want to waste anyone's time.)

So over to you guys..

Cream pup - yay or nay? Great or gash? Super or shi.. You get the idea 😄

Edited by miles'tone

Black would make it just the same as all the other P-basses out there. Cream makes it yours. Doesn't cream also date it as more vintage? I'm no expert on this.

I'm often mystified when folk get all excited about yet another painted P with black pups, when to me they all seem to look the same and boring.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1484162768' post='3213222']
I'm not a fan. Might be easier to just buy s replacement pup cover for a few quid.
[/quote]
Would do but Dimarzios are all one unit sealed in epoxy so the covers don't come off.
Great for a zero hum pickup though.

I personally don't like it but I could see how someone could. The whole bass is quite dark, except for the headstock, and the cream pickup cover offers some balance.

If you just want to see what a black one would look like, make a simple cover from some black card. Take a photo of it from a similar distance to the photo you posted and you can compare them side by side. Or even just photoshop that photo.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1484167717' post='3213303']
I like it, but then again I have a soft spot for cream pickups. I'm assuming you don't. This is so completely subjective that I can't help but feel our opinions here are about as useful as a winter coat in Qatar.
[/quote]
I do too, that's why I bought it :)
Just not convinced about it on fiesta red.

First world problems eh? 😚

I like it! Apart from you though, who will really take notice? I mean that in the nicest possible way! I really don't like gold hardware or SG's but the guitarist in my band has just got a Tokai SG with gold hardware, sounds awesome and he is an amazing guitarist!

I felt like I had a point at the start of this post but I'm not sure now..

Thanks everyone for chipping in there!
Well I've decided to withdraw the trade offer and keep it due to the thumbs up from the majority here.
Good call from everyone who said that a happy wife is a happy life, although I do suspect she may have said she likes it to stop me from fannying around with it any more! 😂
Cheers all! 👍