Why become a member? ×

Höfner 500/1 Violin bass 1956, what is the value?

bassmayhem

A friend asked me to get some opinions concerning the value of this bass. It is a stock 1956 Höfner 500/1 Violin Bass from the first batch produced in 1956. All original except for a missing scratch plate. Original sh*tty case. Here are some pic's. The owner bought it new...

I'd be glad for some input...

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1484168595' post='3213321']
A friend asked me to get some opinions concerning the value of this bass. It is a stock 1956 Höfner 500/1 Violin Bass from the first batch produced in 1956. All original except for a missing scratch plate. Original sh*tty case. Here are some pic's. The owner bought it new...

I'd be glad for some input...
[/quote]

My knowledge of Hofner basses only goes back to 1962. I guess they made a huge control panel design change by 1962. Interesting they didn't put the Hofner logo on the headstock in 1956.

I've seen 64s go for a little over 2 grand. I would think this bass new in 1956 sold for a little over a hundred bucks.

Blue

Edited by blue

Hmmmmm ... now that is a tricky one.

First up, it's an absolutely beautiful bass and in staggeringly good condition for its age.

What's the playability like? I imagine it must have had a neck re-set by now; if not, then one is probably very overdue. And how's the neck? No trussrod this early in the instrument's development.

It's all original apart from the control plate, as you say, but also those appalling control knobs. He should replace them immediately with 'teacup' knobs -a very cheap job and they will transform the look of the bass. They'll add nothing the the value of the bass, but the ones they replace are knocking a lot OFF the value at the moment!

Value. Ah now, there's a thing.

Vintage Hofner Violin basses are worth a lot of money because (i) Paul played one, (ii) they're old and rare. If you want to talk prices >£2000 then you need to have (i). Unfortunately, you have only (ii). Your friend's bass pre-dates Paul's by five years and two models; it's just not the same.

If it's a nice player, and it sounds as good as it looks, then it's certainly worth >£1000. But I suspect that no one is going to get rich selling this bass.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1484213648' post='3213519']
Hmmmmm ... now that is a tricky one.

First up, it's an absolutely beautiful bass and in staggeringly good condition for its age.

What's the playability like? I imagine it must have had a neck re-set by now; if not, then one is probably very overdue. And how's the neck? No trussrod this early in the instrument's development.

It's all original apart from the control plate, as you say, but also those appalling control knobs. He should replace them immediately with 'teacup' knobs -a very cheap job and they will transform the look of the bass. They'll add nothing the the value of the bass, but the ones they replace are knocking a lot OFF the value at the moment!

Value. Ah now, there's a thing.

Vintage Hofner Violin basses are worth a lot of money because (i) Paul played one, (ii) they're old and rare. If you want to talk prices >£2000 then you need to have (i). Unfortunately, you have only (ii). Your friend's bass pre-dates Paul's by five years and two models; it's just not the same.

If it's a nice player, and it sounds as good as it looks, then it's certainly worth >£1000. But I suspect that no one is going to get rich selling this bass.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong. :)
[/quote]

I did a little research because I thought the control panel was wrong. However, it seems like that was the design until they moved to the rectangular panel with 2 tea pot volume controls (cream for with a gold center)and 3 switches.

I guess in 56 they didn't feature the Hofner logo on the headstock.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484239359' post='3213884']
I did a little research because I thought the control panel was wrong. However, it seems like that was the design until they moved to the rectangular panel with 2 tea pot volume controls (cream for with a gold center)and 3 switches.

I guess in 56 they didn't feature the Hofner logo on the headstock.

Blue
[/quote]

The oval control plate is the original shape, but that's not an original item.

The knobs were 'teacups' right from the start.

The original Hofner logo was where it is on this bass, just below the bridge pickup ... hardly high-vis!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1484248657' post='3214042']

The oval control plate is the original shape, but that's not an original item.

The knobs were 'teacups' right from the start.

The original Hofner logo was where it is on this bass, just below the bridge pickup ... hardly high-vis!
[/quote]

Are those real Hofner tea cups, the centers on my 500/1 German Made Limited Edition Club Bass are gold.

Blue

???

Are what "real Hofner tea cups"? Certainly not the awful things currently on this bass. :rolleyes:

Have a look at http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/bass/bas99.html

That's what this bass should look like.

That website is the motherlode for all things Hofner BTW.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1484291292' post='3214341']
???

Are what "real Hofner tea cups"? Certainly not the awful things currently on this bass. :rolleyes:

Have a look at http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/bass/bas99.html

That's what this bass should look like.

That website is the motherlode for all things Hofner BTW.
[/quote]

Cool pic, I had never seen a pre Macca Hofner before.

It's a cool looking bass , however looks wise the next generation of this Hofner Violin Bass was a huge improvement.

Agree?

Blue

Agree, but being pedantic the nextgen had the Toaster pickups which were never as cool as the understated Staple pickups, and the close spacing of the pickups (now known as 'Cavern spacing' after Paul's '61 bass) which never made much sense to me and seemed like a retrograde step.

IMHO, the pick of the bunch is Paul's current bass which is of course a '63.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1484297940' post='3214385']
Agree, but being pedantic the nextgen had the Toaster pickups which were never as cool as the understated Staple pickups, and the close spacing of the pickups (now known as 'Cavern spacing' after Paul's '61 bass) which never made much sense to me and seemed like a retrograde step.

IMHO, the pick of the bunch is Paul's current bass which is of course a '63.
[/quote]

I agree, My German made Hofner limited edition 500/1 Club Bass has the Cavern Club spaced PUs. The spacing doesn't make much sense to me either.

Blue

Edited by blue

• 2 years later...