Why become a member? ×

Pretty bass in a rock band?

Guest MoJo

I'm sure this subject has been broached before, but I have recently switched from my staple diet of Yamaha BB414's to an Ibanez BTB1605. It's a great instrument, lovely to play and has received a lot of admiration from fellow band members and other bass players who have come to see the band, not only on it's looks but also how it sounds through my rig. My issue is that I also play in a 'Classic Rock' covers band and as yet, have restrained from introducing them to the Ibanez, purely because I don't think that the 'fancy woods' look looks right in a rock band. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts

Frankly I don't think anyone in the audience gives a cr*p about the bass I'm playing unless they're another bass player... :D

I play a Dingwall Z3 or ABZ5 in my classic and contemporary rock covers band... Which is about as much off piste as you can get..

Edited by markstuk

I play in a very metal band. I did play to coolest looking bass, which got a lot of comment with regards to visuals, however the output was low so switched to a much punchier warwick. Saying that the K5 has gone to a luthier to sort the output out, so I suppose for me image is important.

IMO it depends on whether your band also dress to look the part or not.

If they do, then you really need period appropriate instruments (and possibly back line too). However that doesn't automatically mean a P (or J bass). Most of the bands I was into back in the 70s seemed to use Gibsons or Rickenbackers rather than Fenders.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484218052' post='3213575']
IMO it depends on whether your band also dress to look the part or not.

If they do, then you really need period appropriate instruments (and possibly back line too). However that doesn't automatically mean a P (or J bass). Most of the bands I was into back in the 70s seemed to use Gibsons or Rickenbackers rather than Fenders.
[/quote]

I was thinking that I should have included EB3/Ripper derivatives in the poll. We tend to dress in jeans and 'rock' t-shirts rather than period correct clothing

Edited by MoJo

I've been using my Ovangkol faced Yammy for the past years, i've used it in Rock covers, Acoustic sets, Funk, Soul, R&B covers, Pubs, Bars, Weddings, Formal cerimonies, etc. Never felt it came short of anything or looked like it didn't belong there and all comments i've had about its looks were to say how pretty it is.

I would choose a build quality, comfort and core sound that fits my needs any day over lots of pieces of wood glued together randomly and bolt-on to each other without any QC, finished with lots of paint to hide the ugliness and cheap hardware... and don't get me started on the premium that is payed for the waterslide decal on the headstock... :ph34r:

As stated before it really depends how important the image is to the overrall product. Most of us would be a bit surprised at seeing something like a BC Rich Warlock in a funk disco band. It gets more important when you go into the serious tribute market I guess. Eyebrows would be raised at seeing 'Paul' in a Beatles trib hefting a T-Bird etc.

I have the 400 version of this:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SR500BM/electric-basses/ibanez-sr500-bass-in-brown-mahogany?LGWCODE=SR500BM;56375;6335&gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BM0XaOcyFB5zLPxsytRJCd4efxisgNLZVRs_yoE9V5XBoCnIjw_wcB

No one has ever said anything.

But then I'm so awesome most people are looking at me, not the bass.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1484219406' post='3213593']
I was thinking that I should have included EB3/Ripper derivatives in the poll. We tend to dress in jeans and 'rock' t-shirts rather than period correct clothing
[/quote]

I that case I would think that anything that sounds right and is comfortable to play will be perfectly OK.

In my short stint of playing covers I used my Gus and Overwater basses. Sonically they fitted fine.

Although even in the serious trib world it doesn't always happen - I got chatting with the singer/bassist from Limehouse Lizzy, who plays a black and chrome Stingray. I asked him why... "I don't like Precisions" Ummmm...OK... :)

I play any bass I want in any band (I've used my Shukerbird for wedding gigs and acoustic trio sit-down ones, too), pretty much on packing-the-bag impulse, but I have to say I do like slinging said Shukerbird around low with the 70s/80s Rock band...it's just so much more rock'n roll... :D

Depends how seriously you take 'the look' and whether you think it matters to the audience you usually play too.

Perhaps not an entirely relevant anecdote, but I recently watched a video of a blues trio. The music was great, the singer and guitarist is a young guy dressed normal and playing a Les Paul. I'm sure the bass player was fantastic, but he was playing a modern looking six string and it just jarred! Looked wrong and I thought the same thing every time the bass came into the shot. Didn't change the music though, so how important is look?

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1484230264' post='3213761']
Depends how seriously you take 'the look' and whether you think it matters to the audience you usually play too.

Perhaps not an entirely relevant anecdote, but I recently watched a video of a blues trio. The music was great, the singer and guitarist is a young guy dressed normal and playing a Les Paul. I'm sure the bass player was fantastic, but he was playing a modern looking six string and it just jarred! Looked wrong and I thought the same thing every time the bass came into the shot. Didn't change the music though, so how important is look?
[/quote]

Laurence Jones ?