Why become a member? ×

Fender MIM offset PJ Mustang vs FSR Japan Mustang. Views?

solo4652

I'm trying to decide between these two Mustangs. Possibly leaning towards the MIM because it's PJ, and has a wider neck. Has anybody played both?

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/fender_mustang_bass_pj_olympic_white.asp?gclid=CIKyxML3utECFQ2eGwodZmcGNw

http://www.soundpad.co.uk/guitar/bass-guitars/fender/fender-japan-fsr-mustang-bass

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1484226181' post='3213688']
The MIM doesn't actually have a wider neck, it's an error in the specs. it's jazz width
[/quote]

Hi Mel!

Really!? All the shop websites report the MIM nut width as 42mm. I'll see if I can find out more via Fender's website.

Edit: Quite a bit on Talkbass about this. See Post number 210, complete with steel ruler in place showing 1.5".

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-pj-mustang-at-summer-namm.1230121/page-11

Edited by solo4652

To me, the MIM just doesn't look like a Mustang. The MIJ will be a better quality build and it looks like a mustang. For the mustang sound I'm not sure you'd need the J? Unless you want something different, in which case there are short scale squiers and Ibanez that could be worth a look.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1484228071' post='3213721']

Hi Mel!

Really!? All the shop websites report the MIM nut width as 42mm. I'll see if I can find out more via Fender's website.

Edit: Quite a bit on Talkbass about this. See Post number 210, complete with steel ruler in place showing 1.5".

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-pj-mustang-at-summer-namm.1230121/page-11
[/quote]

Yeah the TB thread is how I knew about it, I've been following that since the first post :D

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1484309851' post='3214541']
I'm tempted to get the mij one right now... my japanese Mustang (in fiesta red) was truly the one that got away... I should never have sold it. Never tried the mim, but I don't like the j pup or the bbos bridge.
[/quote]

They're very thin on the ground now. A lot of net surfing yesterday uncovered just three new ones in the UK. I bought the one from Soundpad in Barnstaple. Music Warehouse in Norwich are showing two on their website: https://musicwarehouse.co.uk/products/fender-fsr-japan-mustang-bass-vintage-white

There were a few around just before end of year but seem to be disappearing now. PMT had at least 3 (and is where I bought mine for just over £500) but now have none.

Did seem a good price for a made in Japan Fender and is very nicely made and finished. The loss of the proper mustang bridge on the PJ ruins the new model for me (although the light blue is nice)

The MIJ arrived this morning. First impressions from playing in the dining room through my small practice combo;

The Mustang neck is certainly narrower than the 42mm neck on my Harley Benton Shorty. Not only that, the Mustang neck is thinner front-to-back. Overall, it's a distinctly skinnier neck on the Mustang. I've played about 10 songs on it, and I've been pleasantly surprised how quickly I seem to have adapted.

Slightly sticky gloss finish to back of neck. Might have to very gently wire-wool it at some point. No biggie.

No body contours on the Mustang. An unexpected bonus is that the bass doesn't sit as close to me. The neck is pushed away from me a little, meaning I don't have to turn my head so far to the left to see the frets. Less neck strain fro me. Too early to say whether the lack of a forearm contour is going to be less comfy for my right wrist. We'll see.

Bass hangs well. No neck dive at all with a wide suede-backed strap.

Compared to my HBS that has Entwistle PBXN pickups, the Mustang sounds very different. The PBXN pickups in the HBS are very hot so, unsurprisingly, the Mustang sounds more refined and quieter. I was not expecting the toppy tone of the Mustang - it's one of the very few basses I find myself turning down the tone pot. Not a traditional P-bass tone. Nowhere near as thumpy and bass-y as the HBS. Will need quite a different EQ set-up on my gig rig when I get that out. UK_lefty (post no. 4) was right to ask whether a Mustang needs brightening with a J pickup - quite the reverse, if anything. I just hope it won't sound a bit too twangy in a band setting - this is the biggest question mark for me, and one I had not foreseen at all. And that's with Status half-rounds on the Mustang (and, indeed, on the HBS).

Fit and finish seems all-round good. All screws tight, unmarked creamy body colour nicely set-off by tortie pickguard. Pots, jack socket all quiet in operation. Slightly cheap-feeling plastic knobs. I have some chrome ones upstairs that will probably fit.

No electronics hum. I'd read that some people had had problems there but, so far, this one's behaving itself. I'm not feeling the need (yet) to investigate cavity shielding.

So - a good first couple of hours with the Mustang. Band practice on Saturday, so we'll get a clearer idea of how the toppy tone sits in a band mix. Work in progress. I'll report back after a couple of band sessions.

Edited by solo4652