Why become a member? ×

Line 6 HD500X practice rig

steviedee

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the HD 500x as a practice rig? They are popping up here and there around the 250/300 mark. I have a an Aguilar TH 350 and an old EA CXL at home at the moment and it undoubtedly sounds great but I don't turn it up and it takes up space. Just think one of these and some good cans (which I have many!) could be good.

Any thoughts?

I'm using one as my main rig, I think it's a great piece of kit, and will certainly give you lots of options for home practice & home recording. The Bass Model pack is essential, and also very good.

Good headphones are a good investment, either good quality Hi-Fi, or Pro Music headphones, I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD200's and they're pretty good, I also plug it into my home stereo. For band use, I plug it into the rehearsal room's amp setup, using the Power Amp In or Effect Return, bypassing the amp's pre-amp.

I got mine second hand, and you can get a nearly new, well looked after example with the original boxes for £250-300. Money well spent IMO.

I managed to pick one up in those exact circumstances. Just keep an eye on eBay, the right one will come up.

The guitar amp sims are pretty darn good too if you dabble with 6 strings.

The effects are really good too.

Edited by Skybone

I ended up getting a Firehawk relatively cheap on eBay, I know it doesn't have the bass pack so getting useable tones will definitely be harder but the app is just so good for editing I reckon it will be fine. It feels like it might be a product in transition but so far I think it's really great. The hassle for me with multi fxs has always been a clunky UI, making single stomps or no pedals preferable but this is a real improvement.

Edited by steviedee

The HD500x wasn't designed to be "off", so true bypass is kind of irrelevant.

If you just want to use the effects, then the HD500 not the right unit for you. Though if you did use it for just effects, then it's still rather good without true bypass.

Don't know much about the Firehawk.

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1484592280' post='3216629']
The HD500x wasn't designed to be "off", so true bypass is kind of irrelevant.

If you just want to use the effects, then the HD500 not the right unit for you. Though if you did use it for just effects, then it's still rather good without true bypass.

[/quote]

According to some of the Line 6 forums they did think about putting a proper true-bypass in - apparently the cost of implementing the extra two relays required put them off - although it's on the list to be considered for the next version...

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1484592280' post='3216629']

[/quote]

I think it has lots of the same sounds as the HD500x but not as full featured and you can't install the bass pack but it has the app and bluetooth which was what attracted me to it. As I mentioned I just wanted something to practice with and so far it seems great. Built like a tank as well.... need to buy a bag now ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The HD doesn't have as many amp or cab sims on it certainly, but the overall quality of the amp & cab sims far outweighs the PODxt.

TBH, I was really concerned about the apparent "lack" of different amp & cab sims on the HD, I stuck with my old PODxt Live for a good while when I was researching a potential replacement. I figured that buying a second hand HD would be best, as if I didn't get on with it, I could turn it around and not be out of pocket. Anyway, I'm glad I went with the HD, it far outweighs the old XT by a long shot.

I'm amazed that they've kept the old v2.0 (and it's various offspring - Pocket POD etc.) running as long as they have, instead of running with the XT, which was better than the v2.0. It would appear that the HD, the Firehawk and the Amplifi TT all sit in the same bracket, and the new "do it all" device is the Helix.

Maybe Line6 should rethink their product range a bit more than they do. I have heard rumblings that the HD line is no longer being developed further (real shame).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1484690282' post='3217624']
Thomann do a decent bag, it's the same size as the HD500(x), X3 and xt Live.

Try using the HIWatt DR103 amp model, used that a lot on my old PODxt for bass.
[/quote]

I've been mulling over getting an HD500X to replace my XT Live as a home recording rig. Its got a lot of things I really want, the biggest being having 2 separate signals - be interested to hear how you find that.

The only reason I haven't got one though is the Hiwatt amp models. The HD500X doesn't seem to have the Hiway 200 (DR203) model either in the standard or bass pack. That amp sim is really the only one I can't replicate on anything else**. I see the HIway 100 model is there but I haven't got the same tone from that. I'll have another play with my unit tonight just to see if the Hiway 100 model sounds the same if all the parameters are matched to the Hiway 200 sim.

**apart from the treadplate model (mesa Dual rectifier), but that's there on the HD500X

Edited by No. 8 Wire

Sonic, at the moment, I'm plugging the HD into the "Power Amp In" socket on the rehearsal room's Peavey rig, so you're bypassing the amp's pre-amp. You could try going into the "Effects Return" socket. You have the pre-amp modelling from the HD, and the "oomph" from the amp. You could always just plug it into the PA. At home, it's either headphones or into the computer.

No.8, I was in a similar quandary, whether to upgrade from the PODxt Live to the HD. I added the Bass Pack to the xt, and used the SVT model, which sounded great. I added the HD Bass Pack to the HD, and the SVT model is definitely my favourite. The upgrade to the HD was well worth it, as it sounds loads better than the PODxt IMO. I must admit that I haven't tried the HD HiWatt model with the bass, but I would expect it to sound pretty good.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1487441406' post='3239860']
No.8, I was in a similar quandary, whether to upgrade from the PODxt Live to the HD. I added the Bass Pack to the xt, and used the SVT model, which sounded great. I added the HD Bass Pack to the HD, and the SVT model is definitely my favourite. The upgrade to the HD was well worth it, as it sounds loads better than the PODxt IMO. I must admit that I haven't tried the HD HiWatt model with the bass, but I would expect it to sound pretty good.
[/quote]

Thanks mate. I might just have to take a chance on it. I guess my problem is my favourite amp sim is the DR201 (bass) and that's not present on the HD500 at all.

I did some experiments using the XT Live late last night. The XT has 3 Hiwatt models, DR103 and DR201 (both guitar models) and a DR201 Bass model. Now strangely the DR201 for guitar and bass sound completely different to my ears. I also can't get a tone that approximates the DR201 bass sim out of the DR103 model. hmmmmm.

When I was using my old PODxt bean, before I added the Bass Expansion Pack, my favourite model was the DR103 & matching 4x12. I bought the xt Live, and added the Bass Expansion Pack and discovered the SVT model that was great, but I wasn't happy with the effects.

The HD was the ideal replacement, the amp models, although not as many as the XT, they are far better quality, and just sound so much better. The effects bundled with the HD's are similarly great.

I'm very happy with the HD, it sounds so much better, a great improvement on the XT's.

I'm using the line 6 HD bean as my practise rig, taking both the outputs into my audio interface which is hooked up to my MAudio speakers. I am also using the fbv board which has become essential. It's so much easier turning on my computer and the pod and everything being set up and ready to go when practising at home. Much more convenient than my rig and pedal board. The bass expansion pack is essential. The flip top and ampeg models are great IMO. The hardest part is spending the time dialling in a great tone. It probably has taken me 2 years of tweaking to finally get 3 presets that I am 100% happy with.