Why become a member? ×

Midi Interface - anything bass-specific out there?

Muzz

Soooooo, the trio I'm in want to expand the repertoire, and I'm looking at connecting the bass to Mainstage, for which I'm assured I'll need a decent Midi interface.

Anyone having success with a particular type/model? I was looking at the Sonuus B2M, but I'm reading tales of latency and tracking making it iffy?

Cheers,

M

The i2M is better than the B2M, but not better enough to make it useable for bass. Latency and tracking are both definitely an issue.

The Roland VB99 has a Bass-to-MIDI converter, but I don't know what it's like - when I owned a VB99 I didn't have a suitable MIDI box with the right number of channels (one per string) to try it out with. Ped might be worth asking.

Much simpler to buy a keyboard - amazed BigRedX didn't mention that already!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1484236903' post='3213851']
Much simpler to buy a keyboard - amazed BigRedX didn't mention that already!
[/quote]

I was assuming that the OP was wanting to run MIDI-derrived sounds in conjunction with "normal" bass guitar as the band in question is a three piece, in which case the IR bass (or its Peavey and Wal predecessors) is the only serious choice.

However if it's just to do some synth bass instead of bass guitar, then you are quite right.

Cheers guys - yup, BRX is correct in his assumption that I'd like to add to, rather than replace the bass.

Soooo, nothing particularly cheap, then... :(

I might have to look at one of these instead... https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/12-step/

The Roland GR-55 has the best detection of all the things I've tried. (Not had the pleasure of an IR yet!) it's also designed to add stuff to your original signal, where it works pretty well.

Weirdly, the VB-99's bass to midi is much more latently - I assume it uses the same engine as the GR-55?

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484235301' post='3213818']
[url="http://www.industrialradio.com.au"]The only one bothering with IMO[/url]
[/quote]
Technically yes, but I've played it and in practice...not quite. it still glitches and requires exactly the same adaptations to technique that a pitch to MIDI system needs. Having said that, there's less lag on the low notes so still an improvement of sorts.

Forget playing anything below an open A string on stage if using pitch to MIDI conversion. It's impossible to play in the groove. Or...play a piccolo bass and transpose down an octave.

• 2 weeks later...