Why become a member? ×

Don't you hate it when...? ("Stingray / SUB rawks" content)

mcnach

Hi, my name is mcnach and I'm a bassoholic.

I own... basses.

I'm cutting down, slowly (I still have one in order :P)... but cutting down. I generally only use a handful of basses, so on that basis I decided to reduce clutter. Slowly.

But I like basses, the way you get different sounds and their different sound and feel encourage you play slightly differently. So I keep a few different beasts around.

Invariably, I go through phases favouring this bass or that other bass... and I may not play my Stingray/SUB (USA version) much for a while. Perhaps only at home. And then one day, I pick the Stingray or the SUB, and it blows me away.

Last Saturday there was a private function at a local venue to celebrate a friend's birthday and there were a few bands playing, including mine. My gf likes my white SUB and I had a red pickguard laying around, she saw it and said "hey, you should play that bass with the red pickguard". I really wanted to play the "Precision JJ" [1] as I've been doing recently, or the Maruszczyk P/JJ... but said "fine, it's been a while, it deserves to be out".

I loved it! I like it more than my Stingray, in fact! (pickup wired in series, rather than parallel, meaty!). And only a few weeks ago I was thinking that maybe the SUB should be on the list of instruments to let go! (I really have a strong preference for maple fingerboards).

So then I used it at practice on Wednesday night. Amazing.

Now, I'm here looking around at the racks full of instruments thinking "why on earth??? why???" I just need THIS one. :lol:

Here's the white SUB with its sibling:

[1] and this was originally a Matt Freeman Precision, now I just call it JJ because it's not even a Jazz either:

I'm very much the same in respect of the US Sub - used mine last Monday at a jam session for which I provide the bass gear. Awesome sound and even more so with the 2x10 tweeter turned up!!

A number of people commented how good it sounds and looks (it is also white, a 5 string and with original chequer plate pickguard). Yours looks interesting with the red pickguard. Mine is also a featherweight, which was the main reason I took it.

Hooray for relatively cheap basses!!! (Well Musicman ones at least).

Edited by drTStingray

I've considered getting rid of mine a couple of times and again as soon as i plug it i know i cant live with out it it! i gigged with it for years and retired it when i started preferring P bass again. mines the Teal 4 string version with a clear plate now (still have the chequer plate one)

it'll be its 10th birthday this February, i should throw a party

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1484238001' post='3213866']
I'm very much the same in respect of the US Sub - used mine last Monday at a jam session for which I provide the bass gear. Awesome sound and even more so with the 2x10 tweeter turned up!!

A number of people commented how good it sounds and looks (it is also white, a 5 string and with original chequer plate pickguard). Yours looks interesting with the red pickguard. Mine is also a featherweight, which was the main reason I took it.

Hooray for relatively cheap basses!!! (Well Musicman ones at least).
[/quote]

Mine is an anvil, weight-wise. It's one of the heaviest basses I've had, but it doesn't bother me enough when it sounds as good as it does!

I had a black SUB5 and I was silly enough to let it go.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1484245668' post='3213974']
You should sell the lot Jose, get a Stingray 5, series/parallel/single coil switching, maple board, job done :D
[/quote]

I don't dismiss an SR5 in my future... but I can't imagine ever getting rid off these two basses. I have a heart, unlike some others here :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1484248661' post='3214043']

[i][u][b]Mine is an anvil, weight-wise. [/b][/u][/i]It's one of the heaviest basses I've had, but it doesn't bother me enough when it sounds as good as it does!

I had a black SUB5 and I was silly enough to let it go.
[/quote]

I wouldn't call mine an anvil but it's the heaviest bass I own. When I was selling all my heavier basses the US SUB stayed because, although it weighs about 10lbs it balances so well that my back doesn't suffer.

Work that one out?

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1484249187' post='3214057']

I wouldn't call mine an anvil but it's the heaviest bass I own. When I was selling all my heavier basses the US SUB stayed because, although it weighs about 10lbs it balances so well that my back doesn't suffer.

Work that one out?

Frank.
[/quote]

It's just a well balanced design - my SR5 is the heaviest bass I have but likewise, balances very well, but has extraordinary body resonance. The very lightweight US Sub 5 is similar on a strap but has a lot of neck dive played seated, simply because the body is so light.

I've deliberately kept the checker plate on it - looks great particularly with the white - feels a bit wierd at times but not enough to be an issue (I notice it when popping the strings in occasional slap fests - which it rather encourages!!)

Did someone say they have GAS for an SR5? The ceramic ones and US Sterling 5 really do sound the nuts as far as I'm concerned - can be aggressive but can also be orchestral-style and pop heaven (West End show/Elton John//TakeThat style stuff).

Edited by drTStingray

I had the same thing recently, was thinking of selling my USA SUB as I was after a Marcus Miller Jazz but after using the SUB in the studio last week, I was utterly blown away by just how good it sounds. Around 9lbs in weight and easy as you like to play, it's a bloody lovely thing. I was an idiot for considering selling it. I've also just purchased a Status neck for it which should be arriving in a few weeks!

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1484321871' post='3214696']
I had the same thing recently, was thinking of selling my USA SUB as I was after a Marcus Miller Jazz but after using the SUB in the studio last week, I was utterly blown away by just how good it sounds. Around 9lbs in weight and easy as you like to play, it's a bloody lovely thing. I was an idiot for considering selling it. I've also just purchased a Status neck for it which should be arriving in a few weeks!
[/quote]

Sigh.........
:-)

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1484322183' post='3214701']
You did me a favour, Jon!
[/quote]

Dammit, at least I still know where it is.......
Just sold my sparkly stingray, bought a precision and it leaves enough money in the kitty to buy the Sub back so i'm glad you decided to keep it, I'm attached to my testicles (at the moment anyway)
:-)

Hiho might be off thread a bit but-
I went to buy an amp n cab and I took my SUB with me.Guy has amp n cab ready ,asks what I play mentioned Musicman and comes back with a Stingray Classic.So I had a tootle about with it ,very nice it was.I pull out my SUB and even the guy in the shop couldn,t believe how good my SUB was and I remember thinking would I pay around 2 grand more for a fancy finish.
Upshot Sub was incredible-that good.Been giggin it since 2003 and doesn,t have a scratch on it but I have worn through the black paint on the neck in places.

On the other hand lets not exagerate too much, the Classic5 is a bit awesome all told :)
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140730_173849_zpsnblgtvmm.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140730_173849_zpsnblgtvmm.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm depping in a Glam Rock band at the minute and was expecting to use a Rick for the gigs.....after a couple rehearsals with my Sterling SUB USA it was a done deal. It's basically a 3 band Ray with the pup wired in series. The artex paint also seems to be indestructible, I'm sure the paint would be completely worn through on the back of my Rick with the Bay City Rollersesque braces by now......

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1484236943' post='3213852']
I really wanted to play the "Precision JJ" [1] as I've been doing recently, or the Maruszczyk P/JJ... but said "fine, it's been a while, it deserves to be out".
[/quote]

I like this line. It sounds like you're talking about a child, not a bass :)

I used to have 7 basses (down to 3 now) and I used to feel the same when I was deciding which one to take to the gig..

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1484499959' post='3215904']

I like this line. It sounds like you're talking about a child, not a bass :)

I used to have 7 basses (down to 3 now) and I used to feel the same when I was deciding which one to take to the gig..
[/quote]

I've usually managed to avoid this with basses, but I've now ended up having two different instruments I could use for my next guitar gig in a fortnight's time. I don't know if I'll flip a coin, ask if bandmates have a preference or what!

I found a used Sterling Oynx in a shop the other day was really tempted but two things put me off firstly it wasn't in the best of condition but it still had something about it then it was 1400 which seems a lot even if it is 150limited edition I've seen sterilings for 700/800ish! The biggest factor was the Bass was totally unplayable strings on the board in a well known shop just couldn't bring myself to even debate with them.