Why become a member? ×

High Wattage amps - why

deepbass5

Just wondering what you guys feel about the way the most of the familiar Manufactures we know, insist on producing such High wattage amps.

I am referring to 800 Watt and 1000 Watt class D predominantly - I always yearn after the features of the Big brother on the medium and small wattage range amps.

We tend to use back line stand alone in our functions band with Vocal only in the PA and monitors, but I rarely ever get above 12 o'clock on my Mark bass or GK mb500. (500 watt amp)
Many of you probably most DI through the PA even in Pubs from what i read here, so who needs 1000 watts.

Lets not get hung up on the head room debate and 1000 watts is only 3 dB more than a 500. But most of our cabs are very efficient now with multiple drivers ???? and you are Di'd ?

Edited by deepbass5

I prefer a clean, full and fat sound with a lot of low notes so I believe I get a better sound by using half of a more powerful amp rather than all of a less powerful amp. I'd rather have one great amp to cover all gigs so I use the same amp for small, medium and very loud gigs.

My go-to amp is 500 watts but actually I bought both my 800 watt amps not because of the volume but because they went to 2 ohms.

I use an 800watt GK head just in case i need it. Just because ive never needed that much power before doesn't mean i wont in the future. for the cost id much rather be prepared than under powered.
I hate having to push a head too hard, which i have done a few times in the past.

Also it seems some manufacturers put cooler features in their higher end heads, so if you want that feature then sometimes there is no choice but to have more power. Its a hard life.

If you're playing clean uncompressed bass guitar through a 1000W amp, so that you're occasionally clipping the amp, then the average level will be about 100W, probably less.

If the guitarist in your band is playing through an overdriven Marshall 100W head then the average level it'll be putting out could be about 50W. A Marshall 4x12" is much more efficient than any 4x10" bass cab. To get that 1000W bass amp to keep up with a Marshall half-stack you'll need a pretty big cab if you want a clean uncompressed tone, despite it having ten times as much amp power.

If you're turning your amp to halfway on the master volume then you're probably using full power quite a lot of the time. Few amps require full gain on the master to reach full volume. So if your 500W amp is loud enough, change your drummer for a slightly louder one and it won't be and you'll need more cabs or more amp power.

I do like multiple speakers 4x10 and loved my 4x12 just ticking over, but also think back to gigging with 100w combo :D . I take Alex's point on half way on a log pot means your at more than 50%
But do feel manufacturers are pushing thinking down the old lines of car stereos, when they used to quote silly max power ratings in hope of flogging their brands. Size isn't everything <_<

Lets have good useful features on the whole range of amps, good tone shaping is as important to a jazz-er in a coffee bar as it is to a thrash Metal shredder at a festival gig. Happy to pay, but give me the choice

I`ve played a couple of big stages without sound-check, so had to rely on the amp & cab for my on stage sound, rather than monitors. Without a nice powerful amp and efficient speaker I would have been in trouble so to speak. Sure I know the material well enough to play without hearing myself that well, but I still prefer to.

It's just a result of changing technology and an immature industry. Class D is new, the watts you can get for a £1 have increased and the new power supplies mean you can still carry the thing.

Because it is new we all want it, if that's you in your avatar then you are probably old enough to remember when all cars had to have 100mph+ on their speedos even if they would only do it downhill with a following wind. It was about sales, bragging rights and customer demand. Now no-one probably knows how far their speedo goes up to.

This is the first time in amp history that we can have as much power as the mains socket will supply for less than an average weeks wage. We'll get used to it, we will grow out of it, something else will come along.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1484298691' post='3214390']
This is the first time in amp history that we can have as much power as the mains socket will supply for less than an average weeks wage. We'll get used to it, we will grow out of it, something else will come along.
[/quote]

Class D isn't new any more - I got my first one about 13 years ago. IME, the novelty seems to be wearing off for a growing number of people.

. . . . in your dreams.

There will always be valve amps but in the bass world valves have been a niche market for many years.

Class D is the de facto standard for PA systems. The move into the bass environment has been slower and fragmented but the rate of improvement is increasing and will reach a point where Class D will become the standard for bass players. 5, 10, 20 years? I don't know, but it's coming.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1484305183' post='3214475']
. . . . in your dreams.

There will always be valve amps but in the bass world valves have been a niche market for many years.

Class D is the de facto standard for PA systems. The move into the bass environment has been slower and fragmented but the rate of improvement is increasing and will reach a point where Class D will become the standard for bass players. 5, 10, 20 years? I don't know, but it's coming.
[/quote]

Hmm, 20 years ago, your mobile phone could make phone calls (IF you had reception) and possibly text, if you were rich.
Now even mine could run NASA :mellow:

I hope I'm still around to see bass amp technology in 20 years, could be interesting.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1484244812' post='3213964']
Its only a matter of time before "TC" is mentioned.
[/quote]

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/GIF%20files/SOTD%20zombie%20killing_zpsvzci2g41.gif.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/GIF%20files/SOTD%20zombie%20killing_zpsvzci2g41.gif[/IMG][/URL]

:D No that's not me in my Avatar, but I guess not far off if i were to grow some fluff - It just made me smile so hoped it would have the same effect on you guys.
The fact he has a matching orange hat and mug - made me think Ah" Dutch uncle" so it was picked to represent eating humble pie, whilst maintaining a sense of humour. Ideal for the site don't you think, Edited by deepbass5

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1484299684' post='3214398']
Class D isn't new any more - I got my first one about 13 years ago. IME, the novelty seems to be wearing off for a growing number of people.
[/quote]

True, they have been around since the 1980s and are clearly the standard now. Not a novelty, just the goods for the vast majority of people in the market. I know you don't feel that way, but IME you are in a very small minority. OTOH, I've never heard any amp that couldn't be a lot better, so bring on the next class! I would absolutely be on to in-ears if I were still gigging in situations that required monitors.

I worked on Sony Class D amps around 1980. Like most technologies it takes a while for it to mature.AS for IEMs, I have seen a few pub bands using them and most seem to get their own mix right but the sound out front is either bad or at least lacking. If you use IEMs you need a sound man and a damn good PA, Two 15"s with a compression driver are not good enough.