Why become a member? ×

High Wattage amps - why

deepbass5

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1484656310' post='3217187']
If that photo is not an Orange advert, it really should be. They are the only things in that picture apart from things made of stone / concrete that are still structurally together.
[/quote]
Even the grillcloth went unscathed!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1484306140' post='3214495']
Hmm, 20 years ago, your mobile phone could make phone calls (IF you had reception) and possibly text, if you were rich.
Now even mine could run NASA :mellow:

I hope I'm still around to see bass amp technology in 20 years, could be interesting.
[/quote]

I know what you mean, but what else is there for a bass amp to actually do? So what if the underlying technology changes, the end result must still be the same, surely?

Same as the basses themselves really. There are only so many variations on doing the basic job of converting a string vibration to a small electrical signal - and it seems to me that most of those variations are concerned with the shape of a lump of wood ;)

I'm not denying there might be some amazing breakthrough in technology, but I'm struggling to think how the musical instrument we know as a 'bass guitar' is being held back for lack of technology.

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1484845899' post='3219058']
I know what you mean, but what else is there for a bass amp to actually do? So what if the underlying technology changes, the end result must still be the same, surely?

Same as the basses themselves really. There are only so many variations on doing the basic job of converting a string vibration to a small electrical signal - and it seems to me that most of those variations are concerned with the shape of a lump of wood ;)

I'm not denying there might be some amazing breakthrough in technology, but I'm struggling to think how the musical instrument we know as a 'bass guitar' is being held back for lack of technology.
[/quote]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]personally I think it was all downhill after people moved on from the [/font][color=#1B1B1B][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#1B1B1B][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Vega Electric Bass Viol to those newfangled fender things.. And as for amplifiers, what need does anyone have of anything better than the Audio-Vox and the revolutionary Volu-Tone rigs.. :D[/font][/color]

What's your definition of 'better'? Different perhaps, as people pursue that ever-elusive 'perfect' tone, but better?

A cheap nasty bass didn't seem to hold Macca back did it? Possibly because he's a musician rather than a gear head and great musicians will always make great music, whereas some people just have all the gear and no idea.

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1484846863' post='3219073']
What's your definition of 'better'? Different perhaps, as people pursue that ever-elusive 'perfect' tone, but better?

A cheap nasty bass didn't seem to hold Macca back did it? Possibly because he's a musician rather than a gear head and great musicians will always make great music, whereas some people just have all the gear and no idea.
[/quote]

I don't think that I suggested better in anything other than an ironic sense.. All I'm saying there are a bunch of people who like things exactly like they are (or were) and another bunch of people who are intrigued by the options opened up by "developments" in what is available.. Just take a moment to think that without the second group of people you'd be playing a piece of gut nailed to a branch..

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1484846863' post='3219073']
A cheap nasty bass didn't seem to hold Macca back did it? Possibly because he's a musician rather than a gear head
[/quote]

Paul McCartney -

His guitars aren't too shabby though... tours with a LH 1960 Les Paul burst, owns a 1957 Gold top, early 50s LH Strat. Elvis' bass players upright.

I think that when you have the amount of money that Macca has and you can afford it all anyway... gear is of little importance. You could argue that a lot of the stuff that made him famous and sold the records was the techniques and equipment in the studio... so whilst it may be fair to say he's not a gear head... he has certainly used a lot of gear throughout his career.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1484847137' post='3219078']
I don't think that I suggested better in anything other than an ironic sense.. All I'm saying there are a bunch of people who like things exactly like they are (or were) and another bunch of people who are intrigued by the options opened up by "developments" in what is available.. Just take a moment to think that without the second group of people you'd be playing a piece of gut nailed to a branch..
[/quote]

Thing is, I'd bet there are some great musicians out there who could make better music with a piece of gut nailed to a branch than a other players with all the latest gear. ;)

But I agree with your basic point and would be the last person to suggest there's no need for continued development in things, anything really. But I am having trouble thinking about how a bass guitar could be significantly improved. What is holding bassists back these days? Imagine a 'Star Trek' future where pretty much anything is possible . . . how do we think a bass (+gear) could be fundamentally improved?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1484848207' post='3219092']
I think that when you have the amount of money that Macca has and you can afford it all anyway... gear is of little importance. You could argue that a lot of the stuff that made him famous and sold the records was the techniques and equipment in the studio... so whilst it may be fair to say he's not a gear head... he has certainly used a lot of gear throughout his career.
[/quote]

I don't think gear is of little importance just because you can afford anything. Fair point about studio techniques, but that actually supports my basic point. Macca (and plenty of others) became world famous musicians using gear and techniques that still exist but are nowadays widely laughed at as being too primitive. Even as amateurs, we have access to instruments, gear and even recording facilities that 60s musicians and producers could only dream about.

Indeed, isn't that one of the amazing things about the music business? No one here (I assume) could afford to buy themselves an F1 car (arguably the pinnacle of motoring technology - but let's not actually argue it!) yet most of us here (I assume) could afford to buy the exact same gear that our musical heroes use. Bass gear is eminently accessible to everyone who wants it, but musical ability and accomplishment clearly isn't - which is why no-one is held back by their instrument or gear.

Gear is of little importance. Period.

You've clearly never loaded a van in the rain at 2am... :rolleyes:

And no, I can't afford the exact same gear my musical heroes use, and even if I could, it'd be massively impractical for my playing career. Which is where technological advances are important. I can get very very close to the tone I want from a rig I can practically use, and that's only thanks to advances in technology.

Some good points you are making ref the gear we can justify. Like most here, GAS has taken hold at times and I have always bought basses i like or lust after that may have led people at times to assume i am a better player than i am. It is in the back of your mind. But whether bass, Amp or Cab I feel, if i have eliminated the gear from the equation - bought the best, I can't blame it. I am then only crap because i have not practiced enough.
I have also talked myself out of getting the latest gear and to spending the money on Lessons. :) but it doesn't last long :D

I've no real excuse for a 1200w power amp (800@4ohm) but damn if it doesn't deliver on every gig. I've got headroom for days and when I kick I'm my drive I've no qualms about clarity or presence.

Does it sound better than my class D? I certainly think it's got more grunt and it has heaps of power handling. Do I need 800 proper watts on stage at a pub gig? No but me and my drummer have a great time every gig and wouldn't change a thing. Do I need 800w on a theatre gig to fill a 2000 seater room? Maybe not but it helps 😀