Why become a member? ×

"The One"

cheddatom

Just sayin', but most of what I hate about Bebop and post bebop-era jazz is that the solos ALWAYS start on the "and" of one, not the one.
Most unfunky bunch a mofos evah!

P.S. No obviously defined ONE in that delightful rendition of the Jacksons tune???? Really????

Listen to some Argentine tango music.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1484588788' post='3216573']
P.S. No obviously defined ONE in that delightful rendition of the Jacksons tune???? Really????
Listen to some Argentine tango music.
[/quote]

Yer, sorry, I meant on the Bass pattern(s).
Like I said, around 03:00, the pattern is anticipating 'One'.

I toured around Europe for a while, playing Authentic Argentine Tango.
Apart from being an education from the guys I was working with, it was terrific fun musically.
It don't get anymore 'One' than that. :)

(grin) Same school different classroom! Played E-bass with a sitar player and a tabla player and one of those wardrobe door accordion thingies in the UK and then had the cheek to get up and jam with some guys from the Balkans on another occasion when I was living in France.

What fun! Bit challenging though.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1484589144' post='3216583']
The 'one' is surely the first quarter interval in a 4 beat bar (or other variations). Notes can be played on the beat or before or after, but the 'one' is always in the same place. Alternatively, I could be too thick to understand this thread.
[/quote]

It's a difficult one to explain. What you're saying is that "the one" is definitely on the first beat of the bar, and according to the discussion above, that is what James Brown meant when he coined the phrase

I have personally been listening to and playing a lot of what I would describe as funky music, and a lot of the basslines and riffs I gravitate towards start on the offbeat before the first beat of the bar. As there are so many, I started to wonder whether what James Brown meant by "the one" was not in fact the first beat of the bar, but instead the first note of the bassline. Apparently not! :)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1484649705' post='3217098']

It's a difficult one to explain. What you're saying is that "the one" is definitely on the first beat of the bar, and according to the discussion above, that is what James Brown meant when he coined the phrase

I have personally been listening to and playing a lot of what I would describe as funky music, and a lot of the basslines and riffs I gravitate towards start on the offbeat before the first beat of the bar. As there are so many, I started to wonder whether what James Brown meant by "the one" was not in fact the first beat of the bar, but instead the first note of the bassline. Apparently not! :)
[/quote]

A lot of what make funk 'funky' is playing slightly off the beat. David Garibaldi (drummer with Tower of Power) has an excellent clip on Youtube where he demonstrates moving the snare beat around in any given bar and where the bass drum beat can also be shifted around. It's worth a look.

I suppose another way to think about it is that the 1 is an important reference point in funk and is often implied even if it isn't actually played. A bit like the 2 and 4 in R&B and jazz, or the clave in a lot of Latin music. I guess much of what constitutes 'feel' in different genres is being comfortable with where these beats are, even if you don't actually play them all the time.

Honestly I thought I'd be able to find at least one James Brown song that isn't on the one but I can't!

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1484650673' post='3217117']
A lot of what make funk 'funky' is playing slightly off the beat. David Garibaldi (drummer with Tower of Power) has an excellent clip on Youtube where he demonstrates moving the snare beat around in any given bar and where the bass drum beat can also be shifted around. It's worth a look.
[/quote]

I guess you mean this one? Interesting

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFwFLqn-k7A"]http://www.youtube....h?v=jFwFLqn-k7A[/url]

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1484650673' post='3217117']

[/quote]

I'd bet he doesn't play everything off the beat at once, though. The whole point of playing off the beat is that there has to be a beat to play off from. hence Brown's comment.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1484303892' post='3214459']
This track is a good example but maybe it's not "funk"?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9eED6Krl14[/media]
[/quote]

Shame about that widdling bass player.... everyone else is ON it and he is sorta along for the ride/showing his ass somewhat messily.

But what do I know? :D

Apparently it is her:

http://www.meshell.com/

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1484764011' post='3218263']
Total sledgehammer..... same for mazurka and polka! (Yes, I have had a somewhat varied musical career, Cynthia.)
[/quote]

You really DID have to be there, and indulge yourself in Jimmy Lally.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/columnists/miles-kington/miles-kington-dance-band-days-of-a-teenage-trombonist-516497.html

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1484764212' post='3218268']
Shame about that widdling bass player.... everyone else is ON it and he is sorta along for the ride/showing his ass somewhat messily.

But what do I know? :D

Apparently it is her:

[url="http://www.meshell.com/"]http://www.meshell.com/[/url]
[/quote]

I can't tell if you're joking? The way the bass is playing all over the beat is what I love about that track, I think it's incredible! I'd describe it as "greasy" which fits with the title of the song. To me that's way funkier than all the straight "on the one" James Brown stuff