Why become a member? ×

Selling a bass without changing strings?

jamusbass

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1484390314' post='3215095']
To be fair if I was selling a bass with those strings I would have put "needs new strings" in the description. Those strings are fit for no purpose than to prove the bass works IMHO
[/quote]

+1 I would have been none to pleased if I was the buyer and saw those rusty things glaring at me!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1484316943' post='3214635']
For future reference, brand new bass strings £1.71 plus 99p postage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bass-Guitars-Gear/Generic-Gen-4722-Steel-Strings-String-Bass-Guitar/B00CTGOGPI/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1484316810&sr=1-3&keywords=bass+strings+4
[/quote]

Wow, decent reviews too!

I am a bit surprised that this is such an issue. I mean, if you expect as new, buy new. If it ain't what is says on the tin then you can gripe. If buying second hand nobody's stopping you from walking by if the thing doesn't meet your expectations.

I suppose expectations are really what this post is about. Who is to say what is and isn't a reasonable expectation with summat as subjective as musicianship? Each to their own then.

IMO, if you're super picky about wanting new strings on a bass when purchasing, you probably use specific types/gauges and therefore, should probably buy from a shop where you can try and haggle in a free set of the type you prefer and stay clear of auction sites. Sound like a real chancer!

What we, of course, don't know is what pictures were posted in the listing. I see so many ads where the limit to what the buyer can see is astounding.

I was looking at a listing on BC this morning. The price was over £2k and the buyer was given 3 pictures to look at. 1 was the headstock. 2 was the back of the neck to show wood grain. 3 the whole bass, but the body was very small in the image.
Then the seller thinks the buyer can make a good decision to buy based in that?!

No wonder some basses don't sell. Or folk are unhappy with purchases.

I suspect that some posters aren't reading the entire thread. It's interesting when you see both sides of the story. Initially I'd have said that the buyer was a chancer but on actually seeing the strings with much corrosion and apparently no life I've changed my opinion. I usually fit new strings to an 'incoming' after cleaning and lemon oiling the fretboard. I then check the action and intonation. I wouldn't have asked for a refund but I would have been less than chuffed with those strings as it is an indicator of a lack of care towards the instrument imo.

Peter

I'm afraid the buyer, Whiney Pooh, is talking self-serving nonsense. Strings are not part of a used instrument. If you get a decent set, that's a bonus. The claim of buying off eBay "to save the seller fees" is rubbish, too. Buyers benefit, too - they can negotiate a lower price from a seller if the seller isn't paying Ebay fees (I've had people contact me plenty of times when selling on the 'Bay asking what I'd accept to sell direct to them - they always want to pay less). No doubt you did the same. Oh and if you did buy outside eBay, you can't ask them to recover your money. Was Whiney P buying the bass in the hope of re-selling it at a profit, I wonder? I can see no other reason for being reluctant to treat it to a new set of strings. That's the first thing I do when I buy a used instrument (or a new one, for that matter - I use flats, so had to buy a set for my P Bass Special that I bought new). Caveat emptor (and don't take the piss).

Edited by Dan Dare

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Winny Poo says:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'FWIW I am the buyer. And these are the strings.[/font][/color]

[url="http://i.imgur.com/8K18FrD.jpg"]http://i.imgur.com/8K18FrD.jpg[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have bought every single bass I have ever owned used and have never encountered a set as dead rubbery and useless. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm a considerate ebayer and went so far as to buy from Jamie direct to save him ebay fees. So I was understandably a bit miffed to receive a bass with undisclosed finish wear and gross strings, simply because I would never sell a bass in such a manner without being fully honest about such things. '[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Me talking: It sounds as if it could be a combination of 'undisclosed wear' and the aforementioned strings that has caused the issue. We don't know if both issues were mentioned to the OP by WP, certainly the OP only brought up the issue of the strings in his post. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As both will be reading these posts, suggest given the responses from the BC collective they sort it out amicably between themselves. As it was bought 'off eBay' the Buyer took a gamble as there is no legal comeback: equally, we do not see evidence of the 'undisclosed wear' either.[/font][/color]

Edited by yorks5stringer

Jamie only initially singled out my issue with the strings only so it's probably fair to post pics of the said finish wear.
Full disclosure:
It's Sterling Ray 35, I paid £500 direct via PPG and arranged the shipping at my cost. When I asked about any issues it was stated to be in "top condition"
Here are pics of where the finish on the neck has been worn through and the wood discoloured

http://i.imgur.com/xl5kmHC.jpg

This goes the way along the treble side of the neck.

http://i.imgur.com/HTZP09K.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/35x8qGI.jpg

'Top Condition' doesn't really describe it, does it? I'd be a bit embarrassed to sell a Bass without disclosing that, even if it was not subjected to the scrutiny of the BC collective.

I've no idea of values on this Bass but suggest ( as I did in my last post) that you guys take this to private messages and sort it out away from the glare of this post.

Given that both buyer nd seller have now contributed to this thread I feel that there should be no further judicial comments posted.

Both parties should be left to sort this out in a frindly, mature fasion. Not by this forum.

The sale was generated innitially via ebay and concluded privately. Not via this forum.

Thank you.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1484431747' post='3215485']
...suggest ( as I did in my last post) that you guys take this to private messages and sort it out away from the glare of this post.
[/quote]

Plus one. There isn't a lot more to be said here anyway.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1484434302' post='3215509']
Given that both buyer nd seller have now contributed to this thread I feel that there should be no further judicial comments posted.

Both parties should be left to sort this out in a frindly, mature fasion. Not by this forum.

The sale was generated innitially via ebay and concluded privately. Not via this forum.

Thank you.
[/quote]
Many thanks to those who completely failed to heed this reasonable request.