Why become a member? ×

Selling a bass without changing strings?

jamusbass

I've just sold a bass on eBay, the bass was in (what I deemed to be) great condition. I've just had an email from the buyer asking for a partial refund as the strings are old and need changing. Am I being out of order thinking that this request is ridiculous?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1484256585' post='3214181']
Then it's caveat emptor-'buyer beware'.
[/quote]
Not always on eBay, sadly they are now so biased towards the buyer that selling on there is a risk and I have stopped for that reason. Hopefully the OP will be ok in this as he is completely in the right.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1484257297' post='3214193']
Not always on eBay, sadly they are now so biased towards the buyer that selling on there is a risk and I have stopped for that reason. Hopefully the OP will be ok in this as he is completely in the right.
[/quote]

Yes me too! - I won't sell on eBay any more after buyers 'trying it on'. I'd rather sell to the awesome people of BassChat.

Putting new strings on can often be a waste of time / money too. I bought something recently and the seller put on a new set of Rotosound Steels in a 50-110 gauge. I didn't ask for this, he just thought it would be a nice idea.

I don't like Rotosounds, rarely use steel and generally have 40-95's on. The Rotos came off immediately and went into my 'spares' box.

I sold a MIJ 62 reissue Jazz Bass to a member of Basschat a few years ago. They had a set of used but very playable, DR Hi Beams on them. He'd never tried them before but now he's a big fan.

So yes, your buyers request is ridiculous.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1484261443' post='3214241']
Putting new strings on can often be a waste of time / money too. I bought something recently and the seller put on a new set of Rotosound Steels in a 50-110 gauge. I didn't ask for this, he just thought it would be a nice idea.

I don't like Rotosounds, rarely use steel and generally have 40-95's on. The Rotos came off immediately and went into my 'spares' box.
[/quote]This. Strings are personal.
Send the buyer a set of the cheapest nastiest strings you can find.

I've always been mystified by this from the other side, when I read ads that say "needs new strings".

The second thing I do when I buy a used bass is put new strings on it! The first thing I do, of course, is to disassemble it and give it a good clean to remove the previous player's biological residue.

I guess I know why people write that now: to pre-emptively deflect the unreasonable expectations of purchasers.

I'd sooner use second hand toilet paper than play strings that have had some dudes grubby mitts all over them.

That said, when buying a used car, you don't expect four brand new tyres and a full tank do you? What part of "used" he doesn't understand is beyond me. Cheeky git!

[quote name='jamusbass' timestamp='1484255679' post='3214167']
I've just sold a bass on eBay, the bass was in (what I deemed to be) great condition. I've just had an email from the buyer asking for a partial refund as the strings are old and need changing.
[/quote]

You gottah be kidding.

Blue

[quote name='jamusbass' timestamp='1484255679' post='3214167']
I've just sold a bass on eBay, the bass was in (what I deemed to be) great condition. I've just had an email from the buyer asking for a partial refund as the strings are old and need changing. Am I being out of order thinking that this request is ridiculous?
[/quote]

it is ridiculous... file under "I" for "ignore".

I don't think I've ever changed strings just to sell a bass. I may have if the strings were so old that it sounded bad and I wanted it to sound good when demoing it... but that must have been just a handful of times.

Conversely, when I buy a bass, I change strings pretty quickly unless I'm lucky that the bass uses my favourite strings already and they are not too old.

If he's a pain the the arse and you fear how eBay might rule (they are unpredictable) you could order a set of Coban strings online, sent directly to him. They're £5. No, they're not great. But he'll get new strings, not cash. Screw him ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: what a chancer.

Keep yourself and ebay in the right by re-iterating that it was a 2nd hand bass incl strings.
You might add you would be prepared to send new strings at buyers cost incl postage. (obviously quote cost from most expensive supplier you can find :lol: )
That might shut him up.

Dave Edited by dmccombe7