Why become a member? ×

Best way to get nice Precision

chickenjames

ok. sorry if this is well trodden but I will try to make it topical.

SO.
I'm GASsing for a nice Precision.
Current stable is EBMM StingRay, MM Sire v7 J-bass, and Spector Classic Legend 5 (which sadly I never play, don't like 5ers any more and also it feels lovely it is too middy for my liking).
Previously I had a 2006 MIM P, which I quite liked, but the sound was a bit, well, thin and I couldn't make it work in a band setting.

Here are my thoughts, please share wisdom
I'd like something with 'Fender' on the headstock (I realise that not everyone will agree with this!)
2nd hand is fine
don't want to spend than about £800 if possible
Don't like selling things privately i.e. I'd much prefer a trade in on the Spector
Won't buy a Fender without trying it in person (they're extremely variable IMO, but a good one is GREAT)
Prefer US, maybe Japanese. Don't really fancy another MIM.
Prefer to buy from a shop
Prefer something in the south of England (I live in Wiltshire). Guildford, Epsom, Warwick, all possible.

So the options seem to be
2nd hand MIJ. Bassdirect have lots of them at the moment for around £700
New US standard. Quite a few places (e.g. Hickies in Reading, Hogans in Newbury) have new.old.stock 2012 models for around £999
US special? <<< not sure about the pickups in these
What are the more exotic MIMs like? e.g. 50s style etc.

Any other ideas? Not many shops seem to carry 2nd hand US Precisions.

What would you do?

thanks for ideas!

I have a fantastic, lightweight Japanese Fender FSR Classic 60s Precision up for sale at the minute that is within your budget. It's in the For Sale section.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/295819-2015-fender-fsr-classic-60s-lacquer-precision-olympic-white/page__pid__3211938#entry3211938

Edited by therealting

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1484262321' post='3214255']
I have a fantastic, lightweight Japanese Fender FSR Classic 60s Precision up for sale at the minute that is within your budget. It's in the For Sale section.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/295819-2015-fender-fsr-classic-60s-lacquer-precision-olympic-white/page__pid__3211938#entry3211938"]http://basschat.co.u...38#entry3211938[/url]
[/quote]

I rest my case. That's a lovely Precision.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1484262321' post='3214255']

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/295819-2015-fender-fsr-classic-60s-lacquer-precision-olympic-white/page__pid__3211938#entry3211938
[/quote]

Wish I had 700 quid right now, that P is a bloody doozie!! 👌

Definitely a hard choice when you're not sure, so many Fender P's out there.

Do try as many as you can, and see what ticks your boxes for sound, feel and looks. You could try one bass from a range, and it'd be totally different to another in the same range, so again try as many as you can.

I've had too many Fenders over the years (not complaining though!) from Pre CBS, Custom Shop, USA, Mex and Jap. My current P is a Mike Lull as I need a high quality light weight one, but I also now have a recent USA Std Jazz Bass which is excellent, especially in comparison to other models of that range. I'm super happy with that one, and don't feel any need to upgrade. So my personal advice is to find one that you get on with in the shop, because that one will scream at you to take it home. My Jazz Bass did and I wasn't even going to the shop to buy it.

Good luck.

The oly-white American Standard P they've got in Hickies is really nice - I was going to buy it but then had to book my honeymoon instead :-(

If you can stretch to the American Standards, they are very very nice. If not, the MIM 50's ones are nice too.

After trying a few, I settled on my Squier Matt Freeman sig. Not because I like Mr Freeman himself (in fact I'd never heard of him!) but because it just screams quality. And you could get three for the price of a used US P!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1484311578' post='3214569']
After trying a few, I settled on my Squier Matt Freeman sig... And you could get three for the price of a used US P!
[/quote]

Where from? I haven't seen any in stock for a long time. Squire seem to have replaced them with those 70's ones with the black-block markers which I don't think look as good.

Keep a lookout on here for a used Matt Freeman, as others have said
Or a used Squier Classic Vibe - they are absolutely awesome basses - you should get one for around £250 and it will blow you away
There was one on here recently (EDIT: You could post a wanted ad on here too)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1484310755' post='3214556']
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned before, try a Limelight. :)
[/quote]

Oh yes!
Look at the quality of this! :D
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275912-nbd-limelight-dakota-red-precision-bass-1963-audio

I`d go for the NOS mentioned at £999. Fits all the bill imo.

I should add that I have one of the US Standards, a 2015, plus a Mex 2012, and a Matt Freeman. All are great basses, play well, sound great but if I could only keep one, irrespective of value, it would be the US because it plays nicer and has a fuller sound to it (and I have the same pickups in the Mex).

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1484311929' post='3214572']
Where from? I haven't seen any in stock for a long time. Squire seem to have replaced them with those 70's ones with the black-block markers which I don't think look as good.
[/quote]

A used one from here is probably the best bet. I might even be tempted to part with mine as I am not currently gigging... :lol: