Why become a member? ×

Best way to get nice Precision

chickenjames

I'd simply be patient and find the shops that take these sort of instruments in and go and investigate when they do. But buying privately is fine if you find a nice buyer.

I'd be looking japanese, I don't see the appeal of the new fender USA stuff. My early 90s 57 reissue cost my 600 quid and it's a blinder.

As previously mentioned, a Nate Mendel sig. would be a good call. I tried one recently and it was lovely. Horrid finish on the back of the neck but that could be easily sorted. I was very tempted!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484316314' post='3214625']
In my experience, the best way to get a good Precision is to buy a Jazz bass, wait about 10 months, then meet someone in a motorway service station who has a Precision and swap with them. Worked for me , twice!
[/quote]

You may well be right there Dave :lol:

thanks guys, this is really helpful. Currently I'm favouring the NOS US Ps. I've played the one in Hickies and it's niiiiiiiice.
I do appreciate that there are some great basses on here, and I hope I'm not offending anyone by preferring new if I can get it.
Is there anywhere in the south that has stock of the MIM 50s P? I'd quite like to get my hands on one.

Have you been to the place in Farnham?

Rubbish for parking, but a huge range from cheap to "significant" instruments.

There's also Andertons in Guildford, but they really do new stuff and I got a ticket parking there over the holiday period.

Bass Gear in Twyford sadly closed - I may have been their last customer at the shop, as I bought a cable whilst they were packing things into vans. They still operate mail-order, though.

There's another place in Woodley, but it is a bit limited.

[quote name='chickenjames' timestamp='1484346966' post='3214933']
Is there anywhere in the south that has stock of the MIM 50s P? I'd quite like to get my hands on one.
[/quote]
GAK (Brighton) have them on their website. They might also have them in the shop - maybe worth asking.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1484310755' post='3214556']
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned before, try a Limelight. :)
[/quote]

Yes, this. I absolutely love my P/J limelight ( kind of modelled on Adam Clayton's 66 Jazz -not because I'm a fan, just because I love the look) and I took it on tour in Germany over a USA deluxe jazz, 1975 jazz, 1972 Precision....absolutely wonderful basses.

[quote name='chickenjames' timestamp='1484346966' post='3214933']
thanks guys, this is really helpful. Currently I'm favouring the NOS US Ps. I've played the one in Hickies and it's niiiiiiiice.
I do appreciate that there are some great basses on here, and I hope I'm not offending anyone by preferring new if I can get it.
[/quote]

Not offending at all - we just suggested it since you explicitly mentioned secondhand in your OP (:

you ought to be cack handed cuts down on decision making no end :lol: seriously I had to get a MIA P for this reason and I'm glad I did because I'd have always wondered what they sound like and got one in the end anyway, if that makes sense. You must have had a really crappy MIM one if it sounded thin, being fat with loads of lower mids is what P's do which is why they cut through in a band situation

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1484311578' post='3214569']
After trying a few, I settled on my Squier Matt Freeman sig. Not because I like Mr Freeman himself (in fact I'd never heard of him!) but because it just screams quality. And you could get three for the price of a used US P!

[/quote]
This. I never heard of him or Rancid until I bought the bass. I had spb 4 then spb 1 in. I then reverted back to stock pups as they sound great with the bass.the neck is comfortable. I have the Olympic white and it looks awesome to me.
These are niw discontinued.

Edited by SH73

[quote name='ROConnell' timestamp='1484312177' post='3214576']
Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass Special. MIM with American Parts. P/J with Active controls, you won't get a thin sound at all!
[/quote]

Exactly what i'm looking at just now. Gonna try one in Glasgow next week before buying tho. Various reviews i've read said these MIM ones were pretty good compared to older ones.
GAK & Guitar Guitar doing them at £853 but always room to barter on any bass i've found even in shops.

Dave

I did it!
I am now the proud owner of an Am Std, black, maple :-)
It's not actually the one I expected to go for - I had my eye on a white/tort one but when I played the two back to back there was no comparison. The feel was about the same on both but the sound was miles better on the black one. I guess it must have been NOS based on the reduction - it definitely has the Custom Shop pickups as that's what the sticker says.

So I'm a happy bunny. The neck is nice, shiny top (with tiger stripes) and satin back.

All I need to do is put some flats on now...

The serial number checker says it was made in either 2015 or 2016.

thanks for all the comments....

Edited by chickenjames

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484445054' post='3215558']
Congrats, I have a similar bass and am just back from gigging it (again). Black with black scratchplate and a maple neck & board, makes for a very good looking P bass.
[/quote]

Definitely a classic combo!

Roger Waters baby!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1484281003' post='3214320']
I know you say you don't want a MIM but... their Classic 50 series is really good. And the RoadWorn too.
[/quote]
Just got a Classic 50's P in a recent trade - I'm totally blown away by it to be honest, possibly the best P to have passed my way to date. The neck is wider than i'd prefer but the thin depth makes it a joy to play with my sausage fingers. I can't believe how great they sound at stock too.
To the OP i wouldn't dismiss the newer MIM 'special models' i.e Nates, Roadworn, 50's etc :)

Just to throw another option in. I had a great experience buying direct from Japan (ishibashi I think). Got their top of the range 62ri (alder,maple,rosewood) put a KI0gon loom and us 62ri pickups in there and its the best p I've ever played. Set up out the box was fine. Lower £ might make this a less attractive option now though as this was about two years ago.