Why become a member? ×

Best way to get nice Precision

chickenjames

I'm happy, cost to trade from the Spector (which I traded in because I don't like 5ers any more :-( ) was about the same as a second hand US Std, and now I have a new one.

The new P is amazing. It's the first P I've played that has that proper 'thick' sound. Even through my tiny Markbass 801 it sounds enormous.

Just having a much-needed polish of the EBMM and then I have to decide what strings to put on them all.
I think that - to avoid needing to change the setups - I'm going to keep rounds on the P for now, so that means
Ray gets d'Addario flats
P gets DR Hi Beams
Sire keeps flats

but I'm going to have fun going through the combinations. I suspect I'll end up with flats on all of them!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484445054' post='3215558']
Congrats, I have a similar bass and am just back from gigging it (again). Black with black scratchplate and a maple neck & board, makes for a very good looking P bass.
[/quote]
This is black with a white scratchplate. I'm going to keep it that way as my StingRay is also black on black (but RW), so I think it would be good if they looked a bit different. Also I prefer to keep things stock if possible, maybe that's silly.

[quote name='chickenjames' timestamp='1484475216' post='3215633']
This is black with a white scratchplate. I'm going to keep it that way as my StingRay is also black on black (but RW), so I think it would be good if they looked a bit different. Also I prefer to keep things stock if possible, maybe that's silly.
[/quote]

So long as it makes you happy, that's all that matters. I also have a black n maple MiM Precision, and that has a tort guard on it. Both look awesome (to my eyes).

But as for flats...tried em, couldn't get on with them.

Congrats on the new bass, I have one of those too, and since getting it haven`t gigged, rehearsed, or recorded with anything else. Same colour scheme too, black/maple, though like FinnDave mine now sports a black (Fender of course) scratchplate. In my opinion the 2012 - 2016 Precisions are the best Fender have made, unless going into Custom Shop territory.

[quote name='chickenjames' timestamp='1484512431' post='3216030']
it really is pretty tidy. I'm enjoying discovering the cool bits e.g. through strung hi-mass bridge. And that sound! it's the thickest rudest old thing you ever heard.
I reckon I have most of the basses(*bases) covered now with EBMM Ray, this P bass, and Sire Jazz.
:-)
[/quote]

Really pleased to read you got sorted, nice one.

I'm on a same vibe as you, P Bass, Jazz Bass and MM, covers some great angles. I nearly had to sell my Jazz recently but a promotion at work luckily saved me. Like I said earlier, my Jazz is a 2015 USA STD, when you get a very good example of one they can equal basses double the price. To my taste, mine has equalled 4 out of 5 Custom Shops and a Lull that I've compared it to (the other Custom Shop was just insanely good). As you've found one that stood out over others I'm sure you'll get decades of fun out of if.

this is intended to be a keeper.
Interestingly the setup on the P was much better than on my Ray so it prompted me to give it a good clean and readjust. Basically I had the Ray set up not to buzz at all (acoustically) and this resulted in a slightly high action. The P buzzes a little when it's acoustic but there's nothing to be heard when it's plugged in - and this makes it go WAY faster. Now they both go fast :-)

I've put Hi Beams on the P for now but I imagine it will end up getting Chromes sooner or later.

And, again. The sound :-) :-)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1484410003' post='3215302']
Exactly what i'm looking at just now. Gonna try one in Glasgow next week before buying tho. Various reviews i've read said these MIM ones were pretty good compared to older ones.
GAK & Guitar Guitar doing them at £853 but always room to barter on any bass i've found even in shops.

Dave
[/quote]

I love mine, really versatile. Best of luck with it, hope it suits you!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1484481681' post='3215711']
Congrats on the new bass, I have one of those too, and since getting it haven`t gigged, rehearsed, or recorded with anything else. Same colour scheme too, black/maple, though like FinnDave mine now sports a black (Fender of course) scratchplate. [b][i]In my opinion the 2012 - 2016 Precisions are the best Fender have made[/i][/b], unless going into Custom Shop territory.
[/quote]
Sorry, I have to ask... why?
Please excuse my ignorance, but I may well not be the only one in the dark here. I've heard/read of other folk thinking this too. What is it that's better about the ones made after 2012?

I've had a few MiMs. They have all been OK. The one I have now has the best sound I've heard from a Fender in my hands, and that includes Am Std Ps, but I'd put that down to the Bill Lawrence pup and maybe the Babicz bridge on the current one. But mine is a 2004. The Am Std basses I tried were post 2012.

Not disputing your opinion, but genuinely interested.