Why become a member? ×

NBsD - basses in the snow

anzoid

I have been very fortunate to be able to acquire two very nice basses recently, but only just been able to do the "photo or they don't exist thing".

First up is a fretless Sandberg TM4 bought secondhand from Bass Direct after a discussion with Mark over the phone.
Creme with tortoise-shell pickguard. Active/Passive with a toggle to switch between full on humbucker and single coil at the bridge.
It's wearing roundwounds at the moment and is pretty sweet. Neck is satin and so comfy. Plenty of grunt from the humbucker but does a very good basic Jazz with the toggle flipped to single coil. Personally prefer it in passive to active so talking with KiOgon about a double VT loom.

[attachment=235821:20170113-AJF_1740.jpg] [attachment=235822:20170113-AJF_1745.jpg]

Second is a Squier CV Jazz in Inca Silver. Popped into a local music shop to have a look and ended up buying it... wife was a little surprised as I said I was only going to have a look... Sounds great, neck is wonderful and loving the matching headstock. Quality is really very good - not quite sure what I was expecting, but very pleased with what I got. KiOgon loom has already arrived and is due to be installed this weekend.

[attachment=235823:20170113-AJF_1734.jpg] [attachment=235824:20170113-AJF_1735.jpg]

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1484303769' post='3214457']
wife was a little surprised as I said I was only going to have a look...
[/quote]

"Going for a look" in our design studio has become the byword for "definitely going to buy", haha!

Those are both stunners, I especially love the cream/tortoise-shell combo! Dying to get a tort pickguard for my VM 70's Jazz, phwoaaar... I've heard fantastic things about the whole CV series, she's a beauty too!

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1484304136' post='3214463']
"Going for a look" in our design studio has become the byword for "definitely going to buy", haha!
[/quote]
I think she kind of expected it to be honest... and was very sanguine about it's arrival - only comment was along the lines of "make sure it stays out of the way" and "ohh, nice colour".

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1484304136' post='3214463']
Those are both stunners, I especially love the cream/tortoise-shell combo! Dying to get a tort pickguard for my VM 70's Jazz, phwoaaar... I've heard fantastic things about the whole CV series, she's a beauty too!
[/quote]
I was initially going to buy a Fender Jazz fretless that was on the Bass Direct website, and then the Sandberg caught my eye. Normaly I wouldn't go for that combination of colour/pickguard, but it just looked right somehow. I had a longish chat on the phone with Mark at BD about the relative merits of the Sandberg over the Fender and he suggested that the humbucker would make for a more versatile bass - and he's right, compared to the Squier (which is a lovely bass) the Sandberg just has more range.

But, to be honest, in terms of quality of construction... well there just doesn't appear to be a huge difference between them. The hardware on the Sandberg is touch nicer/better, the tuners slightly more stable - but otherwise fit and finish of both bases is superb. (Interesting to compare with the cheapo Westfield I recently picked up where you really can see a difference in the hardware and the finish.) On the CV I don't think I even need to consider pup replacements or anything - but I've not actually taken it out of the house yet, and the Sandberg has only had one outing so far.

With regards to the Inca Silver - it's even better "in the flesh", not too flashy and goes well with the aged/tinted neck - the only bit I hesitated on was the gloss neck, but it's actually rather nice. I believe it's a relatively new colour - at least my local shop had only just got it in within the last month or two. Priot to that the only metallic CV-a-like was the James Johnston in LPB, which are no longer available I think.