Why become a member? ×

Mind the gap - the orange Precision project

prowla

So, a few months back I decided I'd like to make a bass up from parts and went off browsing ebay.

Well, I spotted a Squier P-Bass with a load of extra parts and thought "that'll do!"; the body had been sprayed orange and the owner had then lost interest...

So, I got it and assembled it, and it was OK.

I then dug out some parts I had and put a badass bridge on it and a better (Shadow) pickup, along with wiring up the electrics and putting on some Straplocks.

For the electrics I decided I might be chopping and changing a bit, so I put in small connectors rather than having to use a soldering iron all the time.

Then someone at work said they were going to upgrade the neck on their fretless bass (with a Tokai body), so I had that off them; it's a Mighty Mite and is extraordinarily good.

Now, if you are eagle-eyed, you'll spot something strange about the 1st machine head - I put on a D-tuner.

So, now the only original bit left of the Squier is the body; I'll probably replace that too at some point, if/when the right one comes along.

However, in the interim there is one small problem - there is a couple of mm gap in the neck pocket between it and the body and also a further gap to the end of the scratchplate.

Any suggestions on how I might fill that, 'til I get a new body and/or scratchplate?

I don't want to fill & re-drill the neck holes for this body, so that's not an option.

Thanks - I do plan to replace the body at some time (it is "characterful" though, but I think the colour does work, even if it probably came from a can of spray paint).

Yes, I've got the neck sitting there disembodied now.

Whereabouts are you (I'm in Berkshire, UK)?

I've also got a logo transfer saying "Prowla" in the correct font.

I might even get a plain body and finish it myself, like I did my Stratoblaster.

The body was pale wood, but a can of dark oak stain from Homebase, along with a spray can of lacquer ant it's not bad at all.

(The neck on that one is temporary too and I haven't put the Floyd-Rose locking nut on it.)

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1484385324' post='3215056']

Yes, the thought had occurred.
And leave the gap as-is?
[/quote]

Yes.
The orange looks excellent btw. Like 70s Capri orange.
If you do decide it's a keeper bass as it is then you could always get a new pickguard cut later on to hide the gap, but until you're sure what you want to do just colour the gap in and enjoy the bass.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1484387829' post='3215070']
Yes.
The orange looks excellent btw. Like 70s Capri orange.
If you do decide it's a keeper bass as it is then you could always get a new pickguard cut later on to hide the gap, but until you're sure what you want to do just colour the gap in and enjoy the bass.
[/quote]
I think you're right - Capri orange.
https://youtu.be/XG9z0APkJWw?t=62
(That's one Ford I would like!)

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1484388355' post='3215075']

I think you're right - Capri orange.
https://youtu.be/XG9z0APkJWw?t=62
(That's one Ford I would like!)
[/quote]
Quite! There was an actual Capri Orange used by Fender but as Fender used car colours maybe they are one in the same?
This is a 1981 example :