Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder - Opinions please!

GarethFlatlands

Just popped into a local cheap and cheerful guitar place on the way home on the off chance they had any nice basses in and spotted a Westone Thunder (possibly an 11? Edit - single P pickup, 3 knobs and 2 switches, I think it was a bolt on neck if that helps) on the wall for £230. I know nothing about these basses apart from a few people on her extolling their virtues so is it worth a 2nd visit to try it out? If anyone owns or has owned one, can they please give me their thoughts?
Thanks

Edited by GarethFlatlands

Great basses, but the neck dive is considerable. I played one for years in the 90s prior to selling it and got quite nostalgic for one a few years back, but then played one and realised why I'd sold it. They garner a lot of respect cos at the time they were very good instruments for the price - easy-to-use active circuit, well made.

Some don't mind a neck-heavy bass, some do. Be sure you know which you are before buying one.

Edited by ahpook

I've done some googling at it was probably a 1 or a 1A as Beer correctly suspected the II model is through neck. The weight might be a factor due to a back injury about 18 months ago, as may the neck dive (bad memories of a borrowed Epi T-Bird many years ago) but I'm definitely intrigued. I'll try and knock off work a little early to make the detour to try it out. Price seems about right for it but I'll be sure to check for dings etc.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1484397100' post='3215177']
I've done some googling at it was probably a 1 or a 1A
[/quote]

Sounds like a 1, rather than a 1a, assuming it"s original and not modded. The 1 is passive, just vol/tone and no switches. Might say on the truss rod cover.

I am also curious about neck dive reported as the ones I have had have been so heavy in the body the neck balanced nicely. The later models of Thunder 1A (version 3!), which had a different Magnabass pickup as opposed to the split P type, were made of a different, lighter wood and, as a result, had some neck dive. The body was the same as the Thunder Jet, I believe, with which it also shared and extra 21st fret! T1Av3 had a different bridge, too. But all the earlier ones with the split P pup I've had (3 over the years) were heavy and nicely balanced.

Either way, you should be able to pick up a nice Thunder 1A for around £150-180. At that price they are massively good value.

Typically these are about £150 on Ebay, a bit less on here, but £150's a realistic price to expect to pay for a nice one. Bolt-neck,3 knobs & 2 switches is a 1A.

The good thing about these is that they are very common - they were extremely popular & built like tanks meaning there are still loads around and bargains frequently turn up. At £230 this isn't one!

I have a Mint Red Active one of these in the original caae. They are great sounding basses but heavy and you will really know you have done a gig with it after an hour!
That said they have a real cool punch to them and I still record with mine.

Although not a lot of money £230 is high. I would expect a top price of £175 for mine (as I said it is absolute Mint in original case and I would not sell it for that as to me its worth way more) but then you will always pay more in a shop but you get some peace of mind by using real people and shops. Other basses around that sort of price will probably not match it sound and build wise either.

Truth is as with all Basses and purchases its your dosh, try it and see if it fits if you think its worth the £230 get it.

Edited by J3ster

I had two or more of these in the 80s and don't remember any neck dive. I would have noticed, as I was careful to avoid a re-learning the lesson of my Guild B301 which was VERY neck heavy.

I bought a Thunder 1 on here 3 or 4 years ago for £100, kept it a few months then re-sold it for what I paid, nice enough basses in their day and when money was tight, but it wasn't up to the standard of the Fenders I use now.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1484398251' post='3215188']
£230 is not cheap and cheerful for a Westone Thunder 1.
They're good basses but worth trying first to find if it is the one for you.
[/quote]
I bought a very tidy one a little while ago for £100 as it had a wire needing soldering on the battery clip. £230 is way too high, £150 to £180 if it's fairly mint. Nice guitar though although the p bass pups don't sound anything like a p bass. Damn powerful active though.

My first bass was a Thunder 1a - wasn't aware of any neck dive at the time - didn't seem to be an issue. Great range of tones especially with the pre-amp. I've seen them sell for £75 and for £200 - the price is on the up.

Good bass if you can get one for the right money. I'm looking for a 2 or 3 with a broken head stock top convert to a headless.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484408905' post='3215281']
I had two or more of these in the 80s and don't remember any neck dive. I would have noticed, as I was careful to avoid a re-learning the lesson of my Guild B301 which was VERY neck heavy.

I bought a Thunder 1 on here 3 or 4 years ago for £100, kept it a few months then re-sold it for what I paid, nice enough basses in their day and when money was tight, but it wasn't up to the standard of the Fenders I use now.
[/quote]

I've still got that one. I don't need it, I should flog it.

One of my first basses too, sounds like a 1a.
Rumoured to be a dimazio pickup in those.
Nice solid reliable Japanese instrument.
Does sound like it's priced on the steep side to be honest.
You need to see if you like playing it, it may end up being the one for you.

Nice basses and very well made. I've had a couple - that's me tinkering inside my old one in my avatar.

If I was to recommend a well made but low priced bass to someone, one of these would be top of the list. However, for me (as one of the previous posts) having one now would be more for nostalgia over anything else.

I have recently regained my Thunder 1, which I'd given to a friend a few years ago but he wasn't using so asked if I wanted it back. I've kept it for nostalgia, and as a backup bass - I can leave it in the boot of the car and not worry about it being stolen.

Plays well enough to my ears, and doesn't have any neck dive that I can feel, though I do use a Levys suede strap which is quite grippy, so that might be helping.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1484410867' post='3215315']
I've still got that one. I don't need it, I should flog it.
[/quote]

Dibs on first refusal!

Thanks everyone, checked out a few videos and they have a really nice P sounding thump to the attack but the price seems a bit steep, even for the convenience of being able to play it first and walk home with it. I'll pass for now and keep my eyes peeled for a cheaper example.

My 1A unlined fretless had a split P pup, three controls and two switches.
I bought mine new in the early 80's and thought it beat many more expensive basses around at the time.
Great range of tones available. However, most I would fork out for one now in good nick would be under £150.

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1484428352' post='3215463']
One of my first basses too, sounds like a 1a.
Rumoured to be a dimazio pickup in those.
Nice solid reliable Japanese instrument.
Does sound like it's priced on the steep side to be honest.
You need to see if you like playing it, it may end up being the one for you.
[/quote]

AFAIK it's not a Dimarzio (or at least it wasn't in my Thunder 1), but the design is closely based on theirs.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1484494104' post='3215857']
AFAIK it's not a Dimarzio (or at least it wasn't in my Thunder 1), but the design is closely based on theirs.
[/quote]
Correct - definitely not a DiMarzio, although a few MIJ basses from that era did have them as standard. Westone called their pickup a "Magnet-F 600B". Whatever that means. ;)

And it really is high time someone posted this:

[url="http://www.westone.info/indexthunderbass.html"]http://www.westone.info/indexthunderbass.html[/url]

• 3 weeks later...