Why become a member? ×

How long did you wait/have you been waiting for that particular bass?

Tee

I'm just curious as to how long some people have waited, or have been waiting, for a particular bass you've been after, to become available. I'm talking used/vintage and not a GAS bass, but one you've always coveted. Was it instant? A few years? Did it turn up when you least expected it/weren't looking?

I have 2 or 3 different makes/models i'm always looking for, but i've been trying to find a CS '55-57 type precision in sunburst (an original is out my price range), or a lightweight and affordable '68 Tele bass. Dealer ones seem to be quite pricey.
Anybody find their bass? Are you still looking? Did you give up? Did it turn out to be what you wanted?

Edited by Tee

Hello mate,

After a couple of others I got a G&L ASAT in silver sparkle with a #7 neck which is thick, and not readily available. At this point it was not it, but I fell in love with that model.
The next step was a semi hollow version and this in the UK was especially hard as I did not want any colour, had to be black like my hero dUg Pinnick.
The sickening/lucky thing is that it was a couple of months and I found one so I snapped it up, but I do not remember seeing another one of these in the past 3 years so it was right time and right place as it was only about an hour away.
I now have in my collection a G&L ASAT solid and semi, and L1500 which covers nearly all sounds.
The last one in the list is a Sandberg Umbo and I do have a particular colour and ageing I would go for.
I am prepared to wait for sometime as I have 3 crackers.

I do like basses that are not common!

Let's see... started reading about Wal basses in Guitarist magazine in 1984, saw Rob Burns demoing his on the Marshall stand at the London Guitar Show in 1987 and fell in love with them but knew I could never afford/justify one new. 1992, saw one advertised for private sale in Guitarist and a week later I'd bought my Mk 1 Custom Series. It has been my main Bass ever since. So that's 5-8 years depending on when you start the clock.

In about 1998 I started to get a severe hankering for a Pro Series bass to sit alongside my Custom Series. Spent about three years looking with little or no success. Until in early 2000 I saw a lovely red Pro IIE in a little local guitar shop. Except that the bass was listed for sale at three times the current market price!!!!!!! Then ensued a haggling session which lasted over a year and a half! When I first saw it in the shop it was priced the same as a brand new "Custom" bass. I made a sensible offer which was rejected. I pointed out the error to the shop owner who was adamant that his price was the going rate and it would fly off the shelf. I warned him that it would never, ever sell at that price. We agreed to differ and I toddled off saying "We'll see..." Over the next 18 months I watched as the layer of dust on the bass grew thicker, popping in once a month to have a play on it and repeat my offer.

Well, after I had popped in about once every month for a year and a half (the price had dropped to a grand by that time. Still twice the market value, though) yet again I offered a sensible price and the owner relented. That time I'd brought in a just published magazine article on the model for him to look at which quoted a sensible, at the time, £500 market price. Sadly he wasn't there at the time so I never got to see the look on his face. I left the photocopy for him. A phone call back from the shop that afternoon and the handing over of £550 later... and it was finally mine! Late 2001. It's been my close No 2 bass ever since.

So that was 3 1/2 years from initial hankering and decision until purchase, including an 18 month haggling session.

PS and that was my 1000th post. Yay!

Edited by TrevorR

Saw a white 3 octave fretless Tune Bass Maniac reviewed in Guitarist mag back in 84. Said to myself if I try fretless that'll be the one for me.

Said it was £899. I was starting work on the YOP so 1 years wages :(

Always keep an eye out for anything Tune related but to no avail. In 32 year I heard of just 3 ! One in Japan,one in Italy and an Australian fella
who got his but the neck was knackered :( The replacement sent wasn't the 3 octave version.Danny at Bass Japan told me they were rare even
over there.

Things were looking bleak but never gave up looking :)

Got up one Sunday morning last summer after an 800 mile drive and there it was :o eBay Japan .
Most expensive thing I've ever bought but mind I'm a tight bastard :D

So 32 year wait. Well worth it even if I'm crap on fretless :lol:

When I first clapped eyes on a picture of a Westone Pantera deluxe X790 I knew I wouldn't be happy until I found one. They are very rare beasts and I waited 3 years until one became available for sale - in Holland! I actually go to Holland a fair bit by car so was able to pick it up. In terms of how it looked and the build quality it was everything I had hoped it would be. Trouble was I didn't 'bond' with it. I kept it for a couple of years hoping I would grow to love it but it just didn't happen and have since sold it. And lost a shed load of money. Say lar vee, innit.

Edited by Paul S

That was quite a haggling session TrevorR. Cool that it worked out for you. I often think the same, when I see optimistic asking prices on gear that isn't shifting in shops. Your story is what i'm talking about, rather than dreaming about a bass that you can't justify/afford, my question is about having the cash waiting, up to a realistic/certain price point, but not finding said bass.

After 37 of playing & after many instances of buying what, I thought at the time, was "That Bass" only to find out it wasn't I came to conclusion that, for me at least, there's no such thing as "That Bass".

Edited by RhysP

Basses have come and gone but the one I'm still hankering for is a series one Hamer Cruisebass in any if the solid finishes they did. I was smitten in the early-80s, so more than 30 years ago, but at the time the bass would have sucked up about three months salary as an office gopher.

They rarely come up on eBay and when they do, they're in the US. Once I factor in shipping and taxes, I can't justify paying nearly a grand for a decent one, but one will turn up someday. I still check the interwebs every day.

Someone on this group probably has one gathering dust! Here I am! Take my money!

Some time in the mid 80s there was a news article in one of the monthly musical instrument magazines about Simon Farmer and embryonic company Gus Guitars, accompanied by a photo of a very futuristic guitar. At the time I was mostly playing keyboard synths and occasionally bass, and on top of that I was essentially unemployed and completely broke.

However I really liked the design of the guitar and thought that should Gus Guitars ever start making basses and I found myself in possession of enough money then I would buy one.

Fast forward to 1999, and I was at the Mad About Guitars exhibition in Birmingham and there was a stand for Gus Guitars with not only guitars but also his brand new bass guitar design. At the time I had recently switched to playing the guitar in my band, and after ascertaining that I could indeed afford one I ordered a Gus G1 guitar. Three months later I was the proud owner of Gus G1 #22. That was just the start. In 2002 I put in an order for a 5-string G3 bass and a few years later bought the 4-string fretless demo model. Later I picked up a very sorry looking G3 5-string second hand off eBay and had Simon refinish/refurbish it back to new.

These are now my first choice guitars and basses. I can't really see myself playing anything else anymore.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/GusG1Vibrato.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/GusG35Passive.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/GusG3Fretless.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/GusG35Active.jpg[/IMG]

I'm in my 2nd spell of bass playing, having taken a huge break from playing (getting married, having my son, work on house, mortgage etc)
During my first spell, I had a bit of a "thing" about Rickenbackers. (Runs for cover!) I wanted one, but there was no way I could afford one...
Anyhow, at the time, I'd managed to get hold of a Shaftesbury 4001 faker, and it was brilliant.

I'd sold all my gear after my band split, as I needed cash for lifes other priorities. After said huge break in playing, I decided I'd like either a genuine Rick, or another Shaftesbury - or at least I'd like to try one again. Anyhow, it took nearly a decade for me to get my hands on another Shaftesbury! :o Partly because of the whole thing with Fakers and buying / selling them...

I also owned a genuine USA Rick, which I've since sold... but the Shaftesbury is going nowhere! No way I'd sell it - it's that good, plus I't be another 10 years before I managed to get hold of another one....

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1484581932' post='3216474']
That is an astonshingly beautiful bass. I just had a look at the website and could see no prices - how much do they cost? Are they made to order?
[/quote]

Thanks.

That particular one was made to order especially for me. At the time Simon did have some demo models that he would take to the various trade shows and would be a bit cheaper than a full custom order, but I haven't seen him at any since about 2005, so I don't know if he still has "stock". When I last enquired, about 5 years ago, that particular bass, made new to order would have cost just under £5000. I have no idea what the current prices are, but I doubt they have got any less expensive.

It was around 1999 when i first saw a Yamaha TRB5PII online and felt my first GAS attack. I was just starting college so i was skint and at almost 3000€ it was way out of my league. 11 years later in 2010, having a job and some money to spend, i joined basschat to try and snatch a used one i've found at a very reasonable price. It's been my main gigging bass ever since and i love it to bits.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484586793' post='3216543']
Thanks.

That particular one was made to order especially for me. At the time Simon did have some demo models that he would take to the various trade shows and would be a bit cheaper than a full custom order, but I haven't seen him at any since about 2005, so I don't know if he still has "stock". When I last enquired, about 5 years ago, that particular bass, made new to order would have cost just under £5000. I have no idea what the current prices are, but I doubt they have got any less expensive.
[/quote]

Thanks for that - I feared so - too much for me to spend, even on something as nice as those.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484586793' post='3216543']
Thanks.

[/quote]

Those Gus guitars and basses are so very beautiful! Modern, retro, outlandish, ergonomic all at the same time AND so beautifully balanced in aesthetic terms. Remember first seeing them in Guitarist magazine so many moons ago and just staring open mouthed at the photographs!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484573630' post='3216396']
Some time in the mid 80s there was a news article in one of the monthly musical instrument magazines about Simon Farmer and embryonic company Gus Guitars...
[/quote]

They are without doubt, stunning instruments. Lovely collection you have there.

Not a bass but a guitar. A Hofner Shorty is what I am hoping to find in a charity shop. For about a tenner. I have a fantasy of doing something to it to make it into a 'real' guitar. My search to date uncovered one in a music shop in Cork but at around €150, too high a spend to see if my ideas for this guitar would actually work.