Why become a member? ×

String gauge

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1484415727' post='3215350']
That's what I'm nervous about the action is perfect at the moment thanks to Jon Shuker . & I've buggered it up before lol .
[/quote]

If you're worried about it then don't change your strings for the gig, return them and order the right gauge.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1484416909' post='3215362']
Leave it and see how it goes. The effect might be barely noticeable.
[/quote]

Again, this :) I switch between those gauges when I fancy and agree, there's very little change - nothing that will cause any problems unless you have the lowest of low-low actions to begin with.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1484415727' post='3215350']
That's what I'm nervous about the action is perfect at the moment thanks to Jon Shuker . & I've buggered it up before lol .
[/quote]

In this case forget about the new strings and get the ones you really want. The 40-100 will work fine but you'll have to mess with the action that you currently love and will be left with a different feel on the bass du to lower tension. You may end up not likeng it and reversing to the 45-105s but then you'll need to mess with the action again and it may not get as good as it was before.

Clean the old strings to make them get through the gig if they're dead (i don't boil my strings, i don't trust bringing steel to such a high temperature, i use a oven cleaning product that removes all the grease then rinse them with water and dry very well with a cloth) and see if you can get the seller to replace your order. Last case just make a new order and put those 40-100 on the marketplace.

Edit: Just read this:
[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1484785960' post='3218520']
The good news is they just fit a 36" scale & very little difference in the action , I had to increase the mid eq a bit more to get the same sound , they feel like & probably are Roto sound swing bass ..very good for £6 a set .
[/quote]

I'm glad you got them to work without touching the truss. That'll teach me to finish reading a thread before posting...

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Glad to hear you got on OK with the new strings. If I'd read this thread before your gig, as others had said, I would have advised against changing strings just before the gig. I prefer strings that have been "played in" a bit before I gig them anyway. Hence my "need" for several basses ;) I actually don't like the sound of brand new strings anymore - I know this might sound odd to some. But I also don't like the fact that new strings can take a while to settle & stretch, especially during gigs.

Some string manufacturers / brands seem to be higher tension than others, even of the same gauge, and I think that may mean you are more likely to have to tweak the truss-rod. I recently picked up some Neon strings on here, they're nice, but slightly higher tension than the strings I have been using

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1484826952' post='3218782']
Clean the old strings to make them get through the gig if they're dead (i don't boil my strings, i don't trust bringing steel to such a high temperature, i use a oven cleaning product that removes all the grease then rinse them with water and dry very well with a cloth) and see if you can get the seller to replace your order.
[/quote]

You won't damage steel in the slightest at 100 degrees Celcius. You will however risk corrosion by using oven cleaning products. Very ill advised in my opinion.

A while back, I bought a small ultrasonic cleaning bath from ALDI of all places. It was less than a tenner. It is intended for cleaning jewellery. It's also ideal for cleaning guitar strings. For steel strings, use it with a 70 to 100 percent solution of Isopropyl Alcohol (my Pharmacy got some in for me) in a well ventilated space. The strings can be placed in mine in the same size of coil that they were packed. After a few minutes treatment you should see a little residue at the bottom of the bath, the dirt from the strings.

When you're happy that they are clean, wipe them down and hang them from one end somewhere dry and warm for an hour or so to allow the last of the solvent solution to evaporate.