Why become a member? ×

NBD (in praise of cheap basses)

tredders

I've always had a hate/hate relationship with Jazz basses. No matter which I've tried and owned in the past (inc a US 62 RI, a Jap 62 RI, a Jap 75 RI etc), I've never managed to get a decent sound out of one. I fully accept that this is solely down to my playing style/lack of talent, however, I can plunk away on a Precision and (occasionally) sound ok.

Anyway, long story short, I saw a Squier VMJ advertised for a good price, and it was only 10 mins from home, so I thought I'd take a punt on it. The owner had added black knobs, black tuners, black bridge cover , and had replaced the Squier decal with a Fender one, so it looked great. Went round, picked it up, and it was exactly as advertised, so I bought it with the intention of being able to play around with it (change pups, maybe put a J Retro in there) and see if i could finally find a Jazz I got on with.

First stop was Bass Direct, where I bought a cheap set of flats (Elite Detroits - £26), and took it home to clean it up and set it up. Quick tweak of the truss rod, change the saddle heights, put the new strings on, and I was ready to give it a thrash. Totally surprised to find that it's a really really good bass! Plays really well, has a lovely fast neck, and the standard pickups seem absolutely fine. With the flats on, it sounds typically 60's, but grab a pick and play with the tone control and it does a nice trebly almost roundwound sound.

Not sure whether it's because I had low expectations, or whether it's a comparatively cheap bass, but I'm so impressed. Not sure I'll change anything on it, certainly not yet, anyway. Hugely impressed.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1484419226' post='3215392']
That looks pretty good to me. Is that the new Orange OB1-300 / 500 amp in the pic. ?
I'm curious to know how that combination sounds together.

Dave
[/quote]

That was seller's pic, so I can't answer your question, Dave. Sound sweet out of my Eden Metro though!