Why become a member? ×

Hello from a South London Newbie

MGBrown

Hello all,

Well what a revelation! I’ve learned more in a few months on this site (and Talkbass) than I did as a professional bass player for 10 years in the 90s. It seems bass equipment has improved and we are spoilt for choice. (I've [i]already[/i] bought a few new bits of gear from Basschat members). There’s a great deal of knowledge on this site – thanks to all of you who take the time to impart it, even if the discussions sometimes get a little heated.

One question: How do I add a ‘feedback’ link to my profile?

Many thanks,
Mark.

Welcome to the forum Mark..glad that the forum has been a great resource to you - I don't think that I'm alone in seconding your sentiments.

As for creating a "Feedback" thread, well generally other members do this following a sale or purchase. Basically you'll need to go to the "Feedback" thread in the "Sale" section, create a thread, copy and paste the address in your signature via your profile (accessed at the top right corner where your user name is).

Alternatively another member can start the thread for you but you'll still need to add the address to your sig. The Mods can give more help by PMing them directly.

Thanks for the forum info.

And here goes a short potted history:

After many years playing in originals bands and cover bands with varying degrees of success (mostly none) I ended up doing a run in a West End theatre in a production of Peter Pan – the Musical. This then went on a tour round the UK – great fun. I did a couple of tours in Europe with US blues singer/guitarists (Jay Owens and Sherman Robertson). They like their blues ‘American’ in Europe! I also worked in Brian Conley’s backing band on the North Pier in Blackpool.

Then I auditioned for and joined a band called Subcircus. We spent six months rehearsing and writing in a small rehearsal room in Kings Cross then got signed after being schmoozed and doing showcases in the UK and US. We recorded in Real World, Metropolis, Air and a few other studios in London (most now gone) and made two albums We had a single of the week in Melody Maker as voted for by Noddy Holder, toured the UK and US and did all the festivals. (Six weeks touring the States in one of those sleeper buses is not something you forget).

But it failed to ‘break’ and we split after five years.

I then did some session work for The Alice Band, Kelly Osbourne and a few others who I forget. Bit more touring (a week in Cuba was a stand-out) and some TV but not enough to keep me going. So, I entered the world of paid employment and left music behind for many years.

But, my interest in music and bass playing has been rekindled. This site has certainly helped with that, although it has also encouraged some spending!

PS I’m really happy with the advent of lightweight gear – anyone want a Peavey 410tx, going cheap?!
Mark (aka George).