Why become a member? ×

Tweeter / Horn question.

Painy

I unfortunately managed to blow the tweeter in one of my cabs at rehearsal this week. Really missing the top end bite in the sound now so was wondering, as a cheaper alternative to replacing the tweeter could I just connect the driver direct to the input and bypass the crossover to get the full range from the driver itself and get some treble back?

I'm not familiar with this cabinet's crossover, but I've seen many where the woofer driver isn't even affected by the crossover. It is purely there to serve the tweeter. So, it may be that you are getting everything you can through the driver already.

Ok, I've been searching the internet for info' and indeed it does appear that these crossovers are only a high-pass filter for the tweeter to filter out the lows. The woofer isn't affected and thus no, you are unlikely to notice any difference bypassing the crossover. For now, just pop the other cabinet with the working tweeter on top of the one without and that pretty much equals the sound of a DB212 :)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1484434650' post='3215511']
Ok, I've been searching the internet for info' and indeed it does appear that these crossovers are only a high-pass filter for the tweeter to filter out the lows. The woofer isn't affected and thus no, you are unlikely to notice any difference bypassing the crossover. For now, just pop the other cabinet with the working tweeter on top of the one without and that pretty much equals the sound of a DB212 :)
[/quote]

Thanks dood, had a feeling that might be the case. Unfortunately the tweeter in the other cab hasn't been working I think since I got it (second hand) so looks like I'll have to get at least one of them repaired.

Edited by Painy

Tweeters aren't that expensive to fix/replace. I've had the tweeter on my Super12T blow due to excessive DG B3K + W&C TFR awesomeness... :ph34r: I've replaced the diaphragm on the Eminence APT-80 tweeter for less than 10£ of e-bay but it arrived badly packed and a bit of deformation so i knew it was a matter of time until i needed to replace it again. It happened a few weeks ago and this time i went for a complete tweeter to make sure it was all fine. Bought a new APT-80 V2 from thomann for less than 30£.

If i was you i would be contacting Aguilar to see if they use OEM tweeters in their cabs and buy a couple of new ones to fix the cabs.

I have this morning just replaced the diaphragm in my Aguilar cab. I feared it was something worse but for £10 I just bought a new diaphragm to see if that was the issue. Good news it was!

I would guess you haven't bust the tweeter but blown the diaphragm and I would also guess you cab has the same Fostex type horn my GS cab has. If so go to bluearan website and look up replacement diaphragms, there are a few videos on YouTube on how to replace them too.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1484433010' post='3215500']
I unfortunately managed to blow the tweeter in one of my cabs at rehearsal this week. Really missing the top end bite in the sound now so was wondering, as a cheaper alternative to replacing the tweeter could I just connect the driver direct to the input and bypass the crossover to get the full range from the driver itself and get some treble back?
[/quote]

Yes, so long as disconnect the crossover completely from both the driver and the input, you can just wire the input connector to the main driver.

Had a tech take a look and test everything to see what the fault is and it is just the diaphragm so a replacement will be with me tomorrow.
He also left everything disassembled for me (the cabs are a bit of a nightmare to get into) so I can just put it in and put everything back together myself when it gets here.
I'll probably get the other one done at some point I guess but as one tweeter is enough to get the sound I want I'm in no hurry.

That's great, It's worth knowing that running high levels of distortion will usually end up with more energy going to the horn driver and this is often why they go. Having the second horn repaired then turning the top end down might be worth consideration. Pleased you got a happy ending.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1484742184' post='3217952']
........Having the second horn repaired then turning the top end down might be worth consideration. Pleased you got a happy ending.
[/quote]
[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1484749792' post='3218067']
Funnily enough I had been thinking exactly that myself.
[/quote]

Yes, this can work well. I have 2x Epifani 1x10's. Each has a dial control for its' tweeter - you can set it to zero. So I often set the bottom cab tweeter at zero, and dial in the top cab's tweeter to suit - works a treat :)

Glad to hear it was an easy fix Painy