Why become a member? ×

Orange ob1-500 hisssss

thebassman

So, I have been gassing for this amp for a while, read lots of reviews on here , and watched many a YouTube vid.
I couldn't resist the sale price at andertons, so bit the bullet and ordered one.
First off it looks great, build quality excellent.
I plugged it into my 2*12 cab, and connected my stingray. The clean sounds great, very nice rounded tone.
I have the eq all set at 12 o'clock, gain approx 9 o'clock.
When I increase the blend to 9 o'clock, it hisses like mad. It is like this with bass guitar volume rolled on or off.
Is this what others are getting? Or is the amp faulty.
I can swap out just the amp to my shuttle Max, no hiss at all, so not the leads, cab or bass.
I really want to get on with this amp, any user comments would be welcome.
Cheers
Thebassman

Edited by thebassman

Sounds broken to me - I've used them a lot at a rehearsal studio & they shouldn't hiss. With the gain at 9 o'clock turning the blend up slowly should take it from clean to vintage sounding tube then more gain & blend takes it to royal blood territory.

[quote name='doomed' timestamp='1484439767' post='3215544']
Not normal, I've had mine since they were launched and never experienced anything like that.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1484476159' post='3215642']
Sounds broken to me - I've used them a lot at a rehearsal studio & they shouldn't hiss. With the gain at 9 o'clock turning the blend up slowly should take it from clean to vintage sounding tube then more gain & blend takes it to royal blood territory.
[/quote]

Thanks for the replies.

I have given it another go today.

i have checked i have the active pad pushed in, although my Stingray hasn't got a really hot active anyway.

i have also rolled off the treble a little bit on the amp.

I am still getting loads of hiss from the amp, this isn't really a problem whilst playing, but it would drive me crazy at rehearsals and between songs.

Luckily i bought the amp new from an online music store only a few days ago, so i will be sending back for a full refund.

i will find one in a shop, that way i can try it out, to check all is ok first.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1484479631' post='3215686']

Thanks for the replies.

I have given it another go today.

i have checked i have the active pad pushed in, although my Stingray hasn't got a really hot active anyway.

i have also rolled off the treble a little bit on the amp.

I am still getting loads of hiss from the amp, this isn't really a problem whilst playing, but it would drive me crazy at rehearsals and between songs.

Luckily i bought the amp new from an online music store only a few days ago, so i will be sending back for a full refund.

i will find one in a shop, that way i can try it out, to check all is ok first.

cheers

thebassman
[/quote]

Good idea, it's a good amp if you like what it can do, just bad luck with this hiss problem.