Why become a member? ×

Giants of Rock 2017 Minehead

WalMan

Anyone else going to this, playing or watching?

I've been for the last two years and wasn't sure if I'd be able to go this year because of work, but I've pretty much got everything I need to to done (famous last words!) and said to my boss last Wednesday I'm going to book the Friday & Monday as holiday unless you have any objections (no says he) to block the days, and we'll play it by ear if there's going to be a problem.

I'd been telling wifey I couldn't guarantee we could go this year, but today we had a final 'sod it' moment and booked for the weekend - 27-30 Jan - so off to Minehead Butlins we shall go with the vocalist & one guitarist from one of my bands for a third year of vast quantities of music and gin :)

In particular I'm looking forward to (in no particular order other than the poster) Steve Hackett, Ian Paice/Purpendicular, Gun, Dare, Pretty Things, BJH & Bernie Marsden, but we've seen some great new bands as well in the past. I just hope there's not too many clashes of bands I want to see between venues!!

SO, pray for my liver and I might see you there :D

• 3 weeks later...

That'll be a no then...well it was a bloody good weekend with mates & some great music both new & old.

Sound was generally great and all I had to do was stagger back to the room at the end of each session - well Friday & Saturday as I decided going teetotal for Sunday as I was driving home today would probably bee a good idea.
Absolute highlight for me was Steve Hackett last night with Nick Beggs on bass.

So to bed & work tomorrow...bugger!

I played the introducing stage a couple of years ago there, but could then only stay that night so only caught a couple of other bands. Highlight was some random guy buying us a round of shots not long after we'd played, with what he claimed to be his last £20. If it was... That's not bad going, considering it was about 6pm on the Friday! :lol:

My keyboard player was at Minehead for this weekend though!

Looks a good lineup, Minehead is a fair trek from Glasgow though!

I was at a slightly more tame Butlins event in Skegness last week. It was the first such event that I've been too, and really enjoyed it. Lot of good acts, including some I'd never heard of before. Reckon I'll get another in at some point.