Why become a member? ×

String won't stay in?!

JuliusGroove

How many wraps of the string have you got around the tuning peg? If you've got enough (usually 3) then there ought to be enough friction to keep it up to tension. I'd also check the string isn't twisted as well... thinking about what you're describing I wonder if there might be a problem with the core itself?

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1484485419' post='3215763']
A couple of thoughts...

Is the a string guide/post on the headstock to feed the string under?

You can make a sharp right-angle in the string, using pliers.
[/quote]

This.

I always put a 90 degree bend in the string and pop it down into the centre of the tuning post. Also cut your strings to length to allow a couple of wraps around the post

Have you tried passing it through the centre slot twice? This is the way Ernie Ball instruct you to fit their Cobalts. I was a new one on me, but it does seem very secure.

[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/IMG_0538_zpspecph63o.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/IMG_0538_zpspecph63o.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

There was link to the actual instructions in a thread somewhere, but I can't locate it.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1484502583' post='3215928']
This.

I always put a 90 degree bend in the string and pop it down into the centre of the tuning post. Also cut your strings to length to allow a couple of wraps around the post
[/quote]
I bought a set of Status strings for my headed 5-string and they instruct you do to it, so that the strings don't unwind.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1484502583' post='3215928']
This.

[/quote]

That's what I do. I put the string down the central hole, and as it exits I bend it sharply so that it's anchored on the post... then wind it. I pre-cut the string so that I only have 2 turns once in tension, unless it's the E or A strings (without a string retainer), then I pre-cut it to allow a few more turns so that the string leaves the post from the bottom and it then exerts enough downward force on the nut that it won't rattle around.

If you anchor the string by sharply bending them, the string won't slip.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1484485594' post='3215767']
Tuner slipping ?
[/quote]

Because of the way the gears in machine heads work, they can't slip unless the gears are extremely worn or part that holds the worm gear in place has failed so that the worm gear is no longer held securely agains the gear at the bottom of the tuner post. In either case it will be very obvious, as you will see the tuner post jump back as the gears disengage under string tension.

I had a similar problem with an EBMM Sterling that I bought. My favourite strings have been DR coated strings (Black Beauties / Silver Stars) for a few years but I just couldn't get them to grip onto the tuning post so had to go to Ernie Ball string's on that one and they grip on fine. Are your strings coated by any chance?

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1484684594' post='3217541']
I had a similar problem with an EBMM Sterling that I bought. My favourite strings have been DR coated strings (Black Beauties / Silver Stars) for a few years but I just couldn't get them to grip onto the tuning post so had to go to Ernie Ball string's on that one and they grip on fine. Are your strings coated by any chance?
[/quote]

I used briefly Black Beauties on my Stingray (and Peacock Blues :))... not a problem: sharp bend exiting the post works on those too, in my experience.

On my Jazz bass i measure the length of E string to just past the D post and the put a 90 degree bend using pliers. Put string thru pliers and hold it then bend the end downwards to 90 degrees. I then cut the end of the string to approx 20-30mm depending on depth of the centre hole thru the post ensuring the string bend sits near the top of the post and the string is wound below from there to ensure last turn before heading to nut is at the bottom of the post. Usually the G and D string don't need cut.
I use D'addario nickel strings 40-100

I've never had any issue with string slip. Its first i've heard of it especially when you've got years of experience yourself.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Just had a new set of Cobalts delivered and, although probably a bit late, I thought I'd share the info sheet that you get with them.

[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/IMG_0635_zpstkk22g8e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/IMG_0635_zpstkk22g8e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1492168278' post='3278413']
Just had a new set of Cobalts delivered and, although probably a bit late, I thought I'd share the info sheet that you get with them.

[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/IMG_0635_zpstkk22g8e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/IMG_0635_zpstkk22g8e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Really interesting, why do they suggest do that?? Feel like that would be tricky on a headstock with smaller tuning posts.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1492242462' post='3278851']

Really interesting, why do they suggest do that?? Feel like that would be tricky on a headstock with smaller tuning posts.
[/quote]I have no idea, I had never done it before. However, the question had been asked and this looked like a solution so I thought I'd share. Smaller tuners might well be an issue, but it's an option if you have a problem I guess.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1492258391' post='3279039']
I have a solution for you, take one of your old thicker strings & cut a short (about an inch) piece off, stick it down the hole with the D string & it'll bite into it & keep it firm.
[/quote]Now that's a top tip!