Why become a member? ×

Another IEM convert

Guest bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

So I tried and IEM setup for the first time at last nights gig .. O M F G what a difference.

So my setup was a small alto mixer taking a line out from my RH450 and a feed of the rest of the band from the FOH desk so I could set my own levels of bass vs everything else. I didn't use a wireless system rather I insulation taped a headphone extension lead to my instrument lead so I could drive the earphones (sure se215s) directly from the mixer.

When sound checking solo the in ear sound was moreorless the same as the sound from my G2 compact+midget (which is testament to the relative tonal neutrality of that setup) so all good so far but I was still thinking was it worth the faff.

Come whole band sound check though it was honestly a revelation, kind of hard to describe unless youve tried it but I'll try: its like having the clarity and definition of playing along to something quietly at home mixed in with the umf of playing loud since the overall stage volume of the band was still moderate and FOH pretty monstrous there was almost tactile sense of volume and power just without the attendant muddying of the sound when everyone is playing loud.

First time I've ever finished a gig without any trace of ear fatigue I guess not just because of the controlled volume but because my brain wasn't fried from 2 hours of straining to untangle what I was playing from everything else. The sound of whole band was just way better than any direct on stage sound I've ever had.

Still have work out how I'm going to cope in situations without a FOH setup I guess I'll have to experiment with ambient mics, definitely not ever going back to normal ear plugs.

Edited by bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1484485691' post='3215770']
What about "my sound" and "heft"? ;)
[/quote]

All bolloks mate B), something I've always suspected but is now plainly evident. Well in fairness the RH450 is "my sound" in a single box, the trick is to get that to my and everyone elses ears with the minimum of interference.

Edited by bassman7755

If you haven't already, check out the monster IEM thread here - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/205633-in-ear-monitors-help-needed/ - to refine your tone either further. The question about running your setup in a monitoring solution for when you aren't running front of house is also covered.