Why become a member? ×

how the hell do you get other musicians?

Guest aDx

Jam nights can be very useful, you get to play people and if you're any good, they'll remember you. I am currently in two bands as a result of going to jam nights. I am also in one I met through Join My Band, and that band has been going for 4 years now, and very happy we are too.

Stick an advert on Gumtree, then be prepared for all the replies from people that just waste your time. These places are full of dreamers and bedroom players but unfortunately sometimes it is the only way to meet people and you may be lucky.

Edited by jezzaboy

As others have said, sites like 'join my band' can useful. It's free and they don't spam you. The last couple of bands I joined had ads on there. It might be harder meeting compatible individual players though. Be prepared to made through a lot of metal bands. Even if you play metal.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1484516221' post='3216081']
Get a job at a University with a huge music department, leave a message on their notice board...or have a jam with some local alcoholics who are unreliable and can't keep appointments or time.

Hi Ad...
[/quote]

LMFAO!!! love this reply! :)

Now theres a plan!

FOR INFO for others - I work at herts uni....

Edited by aDx

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1484500943' post='3215916']
What kind of musicians/band are you looking for ?
[/quote]

Any really as long as they are decent players (no beginners etc)

What we need is the equivalent of AirBnB/LinkedIn for musicians. Get all your ex-bandmates to rate you for time-keeping (in all senses), reliability, getting a round in, owning a van/PA/portable beer fridge, maybe even musical ability

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1484563137' post='3216274']
OK, originals or covers ? Pro or just for fun, or somewhere in between ?

I'm just asking to help clarify what you're after.
[/quote]

mostly originals but will do covers... fun to start, and if more ok (been the semi pro route before.... hard work!! lol)

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1484513072' post='3216041']
As others have said, sites like 'join my band' can useful. It's free and they don't spam you.
[/quote]

Unlike Bandmix

Edited by fleabag

If it's originals then you need to be focused in terms of what you want and put that in your ad.

As someone who has auditioned prospective new band members, I'm always wary of musicians who say that they like everything, because invariably it means that they are unlikely to understand exactly what I want from them musically and I will have to spend at least a month educating them musically so they fit in.

[quote name='aDx' timestamp='1484573776' post='3216398']
mostly originals but will do covers... fun to start, and if more ok (been the semi pro route before.... hard work!! lol)
[/quote]

As others have said, I'd be inclined to put up ads online - Gumtree, Join My Band are a couple I've used to good effect. You could try looking to see if any of your local rehearsal studios have a noticeboard you can put an advert on. If your locality has any community forums, then they can be worth a look, as can any music or musical instrument shops.

Cast your net wide as wide as you can - rather too many responses than too few !

Good luck !

Edited by ahpook