Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton GuitarBass

Woodinblack

Has anyone got one of these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_guitarbass_vs_vintage_series.htm

Its basically the Harley Benton version of the Bass VI.

I got a new bass VI (S/H) just before christmas, as it was cheap and I thought I missed the old one I traded on here, but getting it back I realise the issues I had with it before so I probably won't really keep it long.

I wondered that with this having a fixed tail, that might fix some of those issues.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1484512883' post='3216038']
Oh I would. I had a HB Jazz - it was a great sounding bass and there weren't any real flaws with it, other than the fact it was pretty heavy.
[/quote]

I agree, HBs are very good VFM. Plus my bass vi gas is making me want to buy it even more...

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1484518464' post='3216101']
Im quite impressed with my fan fret HB admittedly its not perfect but hey it was cheap and not nasty.
[/quote]

Is that the singlecut bass? Looks really good!!

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1484518901' post='3216103']
Is that the singlecut bass? Looks really good!!
[/quote]

It certainly is, I can honestly say that apart from the cheap tuners I cant fault it, finish is good, it sounds good, for a cheap 5er its got a really nice neck and the neck pocket is better than a lot of the fenders ive looked at and theres more of it!

HB seem to create outstanding value for money.

I just sent back a JB-40, the fretless one. A more beautiful thing is hard to behold. Playable and a really good mwah to it.

The only problem is there was absolutely bugger all sustain on the G string once it was touching the fingerboard. Had it professionally set up, fiddled with strings, bridge, pick up height all to no avail, the G string failed to sing. I've spent the whole 30 days of the Thomann time limit trying to figure out how to make it good enough to keep as I really, really liked the way it looked and sounded in the bits where it worked.

So I sent it back and I'm now substantially poorer for ordering a Fender fretless as the HB realised that my life was empty and meaningless without a fretless bass in it.

I think these are fantastic instruments for beginners, but probably a disappointment to people used to even a decent Squier let alone a full fat product.

Edited by wambamalubop

I bought a fretless Jaco style jazz from HB and I can honestly say that it is brilliant. Every guitarist friend of mine I show it to think it's some expensive boutique bass and laugh like mad when I tell them it was £120 delivered from Germany.

The neck pocket is incredibly well machined and the sunburst is one of the best I have ever seen. Ok there are some minor cosmetic things on the back of the neck but certainly nothing worth complaining about or sending it back over. Stupidly good basses for the money but maybe I got lucky and got a belter.

I have to say it took a lot of effort to send that bass back, I suspect there is a lot of variation in these and you probably got a better one than mine.

Part of me wants to order another one just in case I got this wrong and there is one that I could use.

I read that Thomann will stop using Rosewood for the fretboards because of US CITES requirements, so maybe its time to get one of these while they are still with the real rosewood as they are going to replace it with baked maple.

I can only play one guitar at once, or my order would be in by now.,

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1484587674' post='3216556']
Out of interest, has anyone tried a Harley Benton PB50? Tempted to pick one up and give this whole 50s P bass thing a go.
[/quote]

[size=4]I got one delivered today. Just had a quick play & for the money sounds/plays pretty good out the box. The pickup is worth about £25 on its own & its comes with [color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Daddario strings so it seems great value so far. I'll update this if I have anymore info but I found the online reviews pretty helpful. [/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Ghost Rider' timestamp='1484591193' post='3216610']

[size=4]I got one delivered today. Just had a quick play & for the money sounds/plays pretty good out the box. The pickup is worth about £25 on its own & its comes with [color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Daddario strings so it seems great value so far. I'll update this if I have anymore info but I found the online reviews pretty helpful. [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

The weight is the main thing putting me off, my HB Jazz was far too heavy, so just interested in weight...

Edited by Harryburke14

Had the PB-50 for a few years now. Great bass ,ended up buying 2 of them :)

One with TI's and one with Hot Wire tapes. There was a good thread by discreet last year on them.
Pretty certain there's a soundcloud link to my pal Claudios' A/B between the stock Wilkinson and a Duncan in the post.

Fighting weight on my two is about 8.5lb with luggage scales from the £1shop

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1484599658' post='3216747']
Had the PB-50 for a few years now. Great bass ,ended up buying 2 of them :)

One with TI's and one with Hot Wire tapes. There was a good thread by discreet last year on them.
Pretty certain there's a soundcloud link to my pal Claudios' A/B between the stock Wilkinson and a Duncan in the post.

Fighting weight on my two is about 8.5lb with luggage scales from the £1shop
[/quote]

Decent weight then, just furthering my GAS. Itd be interesting to hear that A/B if you have a link...

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1484512161' post='3216028']
Has anyone got one of these:

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_guitarbass_vs_vintage_series.htm"]https://www.thomann....tage_series.htm[/url]

Its basically the Harley Benton version of the Bass VI.

I got a new bass VI (S/H) just before christmas, as it was cheap and I thought I missed the old one I traded on here, but getting it back I realise the issues I had with it before so I probably won't really keep it long.

I wondered that with this having a fixed tail, that might fix some of those issues.
[/quote]

As an owner of a Squier Bass VI that HB version has some plus and minus points...

Plus. With the slightly wider neck (42mm nut as opposed to 40mm on the Squier), it might turn out to be a bit more playable for people who aren't already used to the very narrow Fender guitar necks. I'd certainly welcome it, although TBH I'd prefer it to be a couple more mm wider still.

Minus. Pickup switching doesn't look as versatile as the Squier VI, especially considering that I'm currently favouring the bridge and neck pucks together as my go-to tone. Also theres on "strangle switch" which can be useful in some situations.

Minus. Tuneomatic bridge will need to be positioned even more accurately than the Jaguar-style bridge of the Squier, and is unlikely to accommodate strings of gauges other than the ones the bass comes with due the limited intonation adjustment.

Who's going to take the plunge and get one then?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484603000' post='3216800']
Plus. With the slightly wider neck (42mm nut as opposed to 40mm on the Squier), it might turn out to be a bit more playable for people who aren't already used to the very narrow Fender guitar necks. I'd certainly welcome it, although TBH I'd prefer it to be a couple more mm wider still.

Minus. Pickup switching doesn't look as versatile as the Squier VI, especially considering that I'm currently favouring the bridge and neck pucks together as my go-to tone. Also theres on "strangle switch" which can be useful in some situations.

Minus. Tuneomatic bridge will need to be positioned even more accurately than the Jaguar-style bridge of the Squier, and is unlikely to accommodate strings of gauges other than the ones the bass comes with due the limited intonation adjustment.
[/quote]

I would say the plus of the wider neck is a bit of a minus for me. I do like it where it is although the top string is a bit close to the edge of the neck on the current one (it wasn't on the last). I agree on the switching, although that isn't hard to change, especially on something that cheap.

Its true the tuneomatic bridge is a bit narrow - not sure it is worse than the jaguar as although there seems less adjustment, the jag bridge doesn't have that much of its range useable. The one I have now the low E is out and it can't be in, although i haven't had a chance to really do anything with it yet. Tuneomatic bridges are commonly replaceable for wider ones, with a lot more travel, certainly cheaper than the squier one is.

I personally am not that keen on its colour choice compared to the Squier, but can live with it.

I don't really have a reason for the VI, but then I didn't have a reason for my last one and I still bought one again, and it falls into the 'couple of gigs at a weekend' cost, so I wouldn't say that I wouldn't get one!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1487517024' post='3240382']
These are now showing as in stock

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_guitarbass_vs_vintage_series.htm?r=app"]http://www.thomann.d...eries.htm?r=app[/url]

Who's gonna take a punt?
[/quote]
And there are some B-Stock too... https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_guitarbass_vs_vintageb_stock.htm?ref=prod_cothr :unsure: