Why become a member? ×

Your Bands onstage volume - Enjoyable or not

deepbass5

im quite lucky with the band im in at the moment.the drummer uses an electric kit the singer plays acoustic guitar and I run from my pedals into the desk.the drummer uses in ears so its just two small monitors for us.and with it being an electric kit we can turn right down if need.

with my last band I was often pleased to see an on stage sound limiter because the guitarist insisted on bringing his 100 watt marshall valve head and 4x12 cab to every gig

We like to keep things under control - not having a kit based drummer gives us more flexibility too. It's much easier for the singer to pitch herself when she can hear clearly. We only play loud if we have to, and that's always down to poor monitors in venues or a bad monitor mix that we have to compensate for. I guess it's a different equation if you are relying on stage amps for FOH though.

My take on it is:
You have to be loud enough to be able to create good dynamics and a good sound.
Many guitarists cant get a good sound quietly because their amp is too powerful and at normal volume they are just not driving it at all. 15-30w is fine for a valve amp, not 100w!
We always try to rehearse as its a gig. Nice and tight, but good stage volume, but balanced. Good eq and frequency coverage means you don't have to go too loud. If we are comfortable there, we should be fine at almost any backline area.
Everything apart from that can go out the front.
I also have split our backline, so we all have a speaker for each instrument at each side of the drums. Not in the monitors, but as backline. This means we all dont have to be blisteringly loud to be heard and theres no interference in the monitors for the singer. It also gives an even spread out front for intimate gigs.

Edited by la bam

At some point the room acoustics will bite back, its recognising when that point has been reached and all being aware what needs to be done to bring the offending frequencies under control.
if you cross the line and take no action the bands performance as a whole will be seriously compromised. Nice to hear so many of you have found bands and people you can work with to produce music you can be proud of.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1484582681' post='3216483']
My take on it is:
You have to be loud enough to be able to create good dynamics and a good sound.
Many guitarists cant get a good sound quietly because their amp is too powerful and at normal volume they are just not driving it at all. 15-30w is fine for a valve amp, not 100w!
We always try to rehearse as its a gig. Nice and tight, but good stage volume, but balanced. Good eq and frequency coverage means you don't have to go too loud. If we are comfortable there, we should be fine at almost any backline area.
Everything apart from that can go out the front.
I also have split our backline, so we all have a speaker for each instrument at each side of the drums. Not in the monitors, but as backline. This means we all dont have to be blisteringly loud to be heard and theres no interference in the monitors for the singer. It also gives an even spread out front for intimate gigs.
[/quote]

Good point about too loud guitar amps. Our guitarist sold his blackstar 100w head and bought a 30 watt combo instead. I'm sure it's about psychology- he's a total prog metal guy and a big valve head is what you have to have right? But he could hardly turn the thing on. He can - and does -crank the combo. There is some loss of dispersion, but good FOH and monitors make up for it. I've played in bands where the lead guitarist used a Fender Champ! With good monitors and a PA, it was fine to audiences of a couple of hundred.

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1484605734' post='3216857']
My band is very loud. The singer/guitarist is *really* into Motorhead so I suppose it's to be expected. I like it. It's rock and roll - it should be a bit obnoxious and offensive.
[/quote]

Thankfully will live in a country where we can choose to go somewhere else if we want :)