Why become a member? ×

Squire V Fender prices

dmccombe7

Recently on various sites incl BC i've seen some Squire basses sell for same price or more than a Fender original bass.
Some are selling for more than a new Fender.

Are the Squier basses that good. I tried one yrs ago and thought they were pretty impressive.

Is it just snobbery to buy the Fender rather than the Squire ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Well that's several cans of worms all put into the blender!

I'm not sure if I'd say either is categorically better than the other but supply & demand will always apply - if lots of people want a relatively rare Squire then that will push the price up over an easily available Fender.

Another point would be the price people advertise things for on here (or anywhere in fact) is not necessarily the price it's sold for...

I don't know about prices, but when parts for both brands of instruments are knocked out on a CNC machine and other component parts come from similar suppliers, there has to be a point at which it's hard to put one above the other, especially if you're thinking of changing the pups and bridge.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1484580695' post='3216464']
Well that's several cans of worms all put into the blender!

[/quote]

Yes indeed, it's several cans of them ;)

When you say you've seen several Squiers for more than a Fender original, I take it you mean the like of Japan JV Squiers? These are certainly well regarded by many who own them, and many more who wished they did!

As for the "originals" i.e. USA Fenders - these do tend to vary in terms of quality. You get good batches and bad batches, not so good and not bad batches, as well as excellent batches etc. You may also be comparing Squier prices with Fender Mexican made basses? These tend to go for less than a USA model, and again vary as much in quality as any other instrument can.

Re newer Squiers, I keep talking about them - so at risk of repeating myself, the Squier Classic Vibe series are absolutely stunning instruments, I owned a Squier CV P bass at the same time as a rather good US P bass. The US P was one of the best I'd played - but it wasn't hugely better than the China made CV P bass - honestly. These are going for a relatively low price - maybe a third or even a quarter of the price of an "original", yet they are just as good, or often better than some US made examples....

Are they that good? - Yes, some of them really are
Is it just snobbery to buy a Fender instead of a Squier? - I think sometimes it is, but it's your bass, so you buy the one you want. There certainly was some snobbery around when the early Japan Squiers came out.... I know, cos I heard some people's opinions at the time....

It really shouldn't matter about what name is on the headstock - if you like it, and it's comfy to play and you get the sounds you want from it, and it's reliable - well, who cares about the brand name? Try a few Squiers though - you may be surprised

The other great thing about Squiers, the more modern ones anyway, is that all their vital measurements on things like pick ups, bridges , necks etc are standard Fender sizes, which makes them dead easy to mod.

I changed the pickups, bridge and wiring loom on my VM Jazz in the space of about an hour.

I need to try some more Squier basses. I tend to overlook them as "just copies" and i know that literally is Fender snobbery but having lived a long time and remember when copies were pretty poor its just kinda stuck in my mind that things haven't really changed that much.

I'm heading into Glasgow tomorrow as i'm interested in the Fender Deluxe Precision but think i'll give some Squiers a try too to see what i'm missing here.

I'm not looking to ridicule anyone for the price they are asking for any bass they are selling but it did make me wonder why a Squier is worth over £800 when a new Fender Deluxe (Mex) is typically selling at £853 with standards selling for good bit less.
I've only recently seen the adverts so the basses haven't actually sold at that price yet.

It was a serious query as to why a 2nd hand "copy" is worth more than an original.
I guess Fender is the easy target for that question. Pretty sure if it were a different manufacturer like Warwick or similar then copies or what we regard as "cheaper" models of same range would never sell for more than the original.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I wanted a P Bass for a group I had joined, who really wanted me to play a P bass. I picked a Squier CV P bass over a Fender MIM P bass because it was a better instrument in pretty well every way. I tried 2 Squiers, 3 MIMs and 1 US. I wouldn't have said it was better than the US, I think the US had a better neck but I prefered the sound of the Squier, and I wasn't so keen on the colour of the US, obviously both subjective. But the US was stupid money.

The other squier was some guy signature, but it didn't seem as good. The CV was actually cheaper at the time, by about £100 than the MIM but if it was the same price I would have picked the CV as it was the better instrument, and the fender logo doesn't actually mean anything to me, other than I would be able to sell it to someone for more afterwards. As I am useless at thinking ahead and just wanted a good instrument the Squier was the obvious choice.

I wouldn't buy a Squier for £800, but then I wouldn't pay that for a fender Mex either, unless it was really special, and I would take a bit of persuading to pay that for a US!

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1484609538' post='3216890']
I need to try some more Squier basses. I tend to overlook them as "just copies"......

[/quote]

They are copies, but the important thing is that they are approved, designed and backed by Fender themselves. I'm sure that in order to put the Fender brand name on the instrument, it will have to meet a certain standard. As others have said, they are also very similar in terms of dimensions and sizes of pickups, bridges etc - making it easier to swap or upgrade parts.

As for 2nd hand JV Squiers - they were made in the same factory as japan Fenders, and they are much talked about and are of very high quality and standard. They have become very sought after and collectible - hence their perceived value increasing...

As for the Classic Vibe Squiers, these are made in a different factory in China, to other China made Squiers, and they are quite different in terms of quality and price. I've played several Mex Fenders, and though some are superb, I'd still go for my CV Squier over any I've played - other than the Fender Roadworn series (of which I have 2). I prefer my Mex made Roadworns over any US Fender I've ever played. Again, this is personal preference & taste of course

Good luck with your search. And also try out some Indonesian made Squier Vintage Modified (VM) basses - less expensive than the CV's, but also very good quality and value. As if you didn't have enough to try out already ;)

Edited by Marc S

A lot will depend on what the dealer has in stock but just to get things right as regards the Squier basses :-

JV is the one to look for.
CV is the next "best" bass.
VM is the 3rd best bass

However try them all to see what fits best.
I'm really looking for a PJ active set up for all round tonal possibilities and the Deluxe Fender altho being Mex seems to have all that altho its down to indivivual bass as to whether its gonna be a good un or a bad un.

As advised many times by BC'ers TRY before you BUY.

I can only guess the Squier i've seen advertised is one of the sought after Japanese ones.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1484645980' post='3217050']

I'm really looking for a PJ active set up for all round tonal possibilities and the Deluxe Fender altho being Mex seems to have all that altho its down to indivivual bass as to whether its gonna be a good un or a bad un.

[/quote]

If your'e talking about one of these...

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Deluxe-Active-P-Bass-Special-RW-Olympic-White/1N4K?utm_campaign=bEngine%20-%20Fender&utm_medium=paid_search&network=google&adgroup=31445970137&matchtype=b&utm_term=%2Bdeluxe%20%2Bactive%20%2Bp%20%2Bbass&device=t&creative=169962388796&adposition=1t1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAnvfDBRCXrabLl6-6t-0BEiQAW4SRUGPmlbHCBI4oegbNaPcWXVHLvnj-XfeMOKPzq2eOntQaAujF8P8HAQ

...Then as coincidence would have it, I'll be finding out whether it's a goodun or a baddun within the next couple of days.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1484646475' post='3217059']
If your'e talking about one of these...

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Deluxe-Active-P-Bass-Special-RW-Olympic-White/1N4K?utm_campaign=bEngine%20-%20Fender&utm_medium=paid_search&network=google&adgroup=31445970137&matchtype=b&utm_term=%2Bdeluxe%20%2Bactive%20%2Bp%20%2Bbass&device=t&creative=169962388796&adposition=1t1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAnvfDBRCXrabLl6-6t-0BEiQAW4SRUGPmlbHCBI4oegbNaPcWXVHLvnj-XfeMOKPzq2eOntQaAujF8P8HAQ"]http://www.gear4musi...OntQaAujF8P8HAQ[/url]

...Then as coincidence would have it, I'll be finding out whether it's a goodun or a baddun within the next couple of days.
[/quote]

Yes that is the very beast only in sunburst with maple neck. Let me know what you think or have you already tried one.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1484648277' post='3217077']

Yes that is the very beast only in sunburst with maple neck. Let me know what you think or have you already tried one.

Dave
[/quote]

Nor tried one yet,I'm (perhaps foolishly) buying blind as a I couldn't find one in stock anywhere near me.

Fingers crossed it should be with me some time tomorrow.

I'd have preferred a maple fretboard but I'm not keen on sunburst.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I've had lots of Precision basses pass through my hands in the past 8 years - couple of MIA Fenders, couple of MIJ Fenders, a Silver Series Squier, a basic affinity Squier, a couple of non-export medium scale MIJ Fenders and a couple of JV Squiers. The two I have kept are JV series Squiers - one an early Fender logo, one a bit later. Both are absolutely fabulous bass guitars. The later one I find is a better bass - as close to my perfect 4 string bass as is possible, I think.

Tried the Deluxe PJ today and found it very well made and a nice all round bass.
My only negative being no tone control when used in passive mode which seems a bit odd.
I would have to say that in active mode with everything flat it sounds same as passive tone.
You can still sweep between pick-ups tho.
That precision depth is just so impressive.
Didn't get a chance to try the Squier today but will next time i'm in.
I was offered an equivelant Sanberg to try and altho i tried their 5 string few yrs ago and found the neck wasn't to my liking this 4 string VM (P/MM) and the TM (J/MM) versions were very impressive and had more tonal range than the Fender. The necks were pretty similar altho i did find the TM rosewood neck very comfortable.
Only issue with the Sandbergs they were both reliced and i grudge paying full price for a well worn bass that has had extra work done compared to normal finish.
Fair price difference tho with Fender at £850 and the Sandberg circa £1700. (i can get these basses cheaper at Bass Direct)
Not sure they are worth the extra tho. That Fender did feel good.

Gonna have a ponder on this before actually buying.

For those that have ordered a Fender Deluxe (Mex) you won't be disappointed as i tried few of them and they all felt pretty good to me. Standard set up which was ok for me. Pick-ups were maybe a little too close to the strings being my only concern but nothing major there.

Still need to compare against the Squier basses tho.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1484755987' post='3218158']
Decided to go for the Surf Pearl Deluxe precision. On order due next week.

[attachment=236133:fender-deluxe-active-precision-bass-special-surf-pearl-379780.jpg]
[/quote]

Mine arrived today.

I might do proper NBD if I ever learn how to post pictures but suffice to say I couldn't be more chuffed with it.

Great range of sounds from modern to classic and weirdly (because I didn't feel like I was struggling with my other basses) it feels really easy to play, I was expecting the usual period of adjustment I normally experience when playing a new bass, but it just clicked instantly.

I hope you are similarly delighted with yours.

Edit: Mine didn't come with any instructions and I couldn't find the manual online, in case you have the same experience, as far as I can tell from my experiments, from left to right the controls are volume, pan, bottom stacked knob is bass, topped stacked knob is mids and the last knob is treble.

I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any/all of those deductions.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1484758785' post='3218196']
Mine arrived today.

I might do proper NBD if I ever learn how to post pictures but suffice to say I couldn't be more chuffed with it.

Great range of sounds from modern to classic and weirdly (because I didn't feel like I was struggling with my other basses) it feels really easy to play, I was expecting the usual period of adjustment I normally experience when playing a new bass, but it just clicked instantly.

I hope you are similarly delighted with yours.

Edit: Mine didn't come with any instructions and I couldn't find the manual online, in case you have the same experience, as far as I can tell from my experiments, from left to right the controls are volume, pan, bottom stacked knob is bass, topped stacked knob is mids and the last knob is treble.

I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any/all of those deductions.
[/quote]

Yep you got that wrong a wee bit. The stack is bottom is bass boost / cut with top stack being treble boost and cut. The end pot is a mid boost / cut but i think it has a greater level of boost or cut.
Have to admit the one in the shop did feel very natural too and just right balanc an tone wise. Looking forward to it arriving now.

Just for info to help load pics.

Select the "MORE REPLY OPTIONS" button at the bottom of your comment reply box and it will open up to more choice. At the bottom there's a CHOOSE FILE button that will take you to your own PC files or photographs. Select the photo you want to load and click OPEN. Then select the ATTACH THIS FILE button and the link will appear on your comment page. When you save post the pic should appear in the comment box.

Hope that helps as i would like some pics of your bass posted. You have no excuse now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the bass

Dave

I've had one or two Squier CVs and the truth is that they require more maintenance than a US Fender. The wood is softer, and therefore bridge, neck, and scratchplate screws slacken more frequently. In addition, they are far less tolerant of the sort of knocks that regular gigging use will inflict on any instrument. The high end Squiers are fine instruments, but in my experience do not hold up to regular use in the way a Fender does.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1484780040' post='3218487']

Yep you got that wrong a wee bit. The stack is bottom is bass boost / cut with top stack being treble boost and cut. The end pot is a mid boost / cut but i think it has a greater level of boost or cut.
Have to admit the one in the shop did feel very natural too and just right balanc an tone wise. Looking forward to it arriving now.

Just for info to help load pics.

Select the "MORE REPLY OPTIONS" button at the bottom of your comment reply box and it will open up to more choice. At the bottom there's a CHOOSE FILE button that will take you to your own PC files or photographs. Select the photo you want to load and click OPEN. Then select the ATTACH THIS FILE button and the link will appear on your comment page. When you save post the pic should appear in the comment box.

Hope that helps as i would like some pics of your bass posted. You have no excuse now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the bass

Dave
[/quote]

Cheers for the info on the controls.

I've had a quick go at taking and uploading some pictures, but, to be honest it's been a bit of a disaster. I'm going to try again later when I've got more time.