Why become a member? ×

Aguilar AG700 - Updated AG500?

Musicman20

Looks good, as much as I love my Tonehammer head I do like the idea of a solid state head and a lo-mid and hi-mid knob would be better for my poor brain than teh seeping mid control on the Tonehammer. Lets see what the price is like, probably very expensive....

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1484584969' post='3216518']
Looks good, as much as I love my Tonehammer head I do like the idea of a solid state head and a lo-mid and hi-mid knob would be better for my poor brain than teh seeping mid control on the Tonehammer. Lets see what the price is like, probably very expensive....
[/quote]

only 4.9 lbs vs 18 lbs for the AG500.. I suspect Class D..

hmmm, yes your probably right, I just clocked the weight. I just saw solid state and thought it would be the same as the old AG. So it's probably a more powerful different EQ'd version of Tonehammer, oh well.....Still looks really nice.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1484588821' post='3216575']
Sure.. SMPS - sort of synonymous with Class D, but you're right :-)
[/quote]

Just depends on your perspective I guess. Ive been using Class A/B and Class H QSC amps with SMPS for ages now, and had an iAmp with a nonlinear analog supply for a few years as well.
Just another aspect like MOSFET or Solid State that also both do apply to Class D amps.

In any case, this new Aguilar looks to be right in the sweet spot of the current actual buyers' market, IMO. Looking forward to checking it out at NAMM in a few days.

Let's remember than the AG500 was not as reliable as the current micro TH500, so I see this as a step forward in technology. One thing that Aguilar tend to get right, especially now, is concentrating on reliability.

I barely hear of any T500 issues.

The issue I see is price. The Aguilar gear used to be sent to stores direct. I bought my cabs when this was the business model.

Now, they have a distributor, the prices are much higher, and the £ is incredibly weak. I expect £800+.

Edited by Musicman20

I love my AG500SC, its the only non-SWR amp I've gigged with, and I have played some pretty big stages with it and haven't found it lacking in the either the horsepower or low end department. As Lozz196 says, the two mid controls are a bit too close together sonically, but other than that it ticks all the boxes I need ticked. As to reliability, save for both the power and mute LED's giving up the ghost (at separate times), mines been super reliable to date.

I had an ag500. Was a very good amp not sure about legendary however, maybe a bit too mids forward for me and I felt it was slightly underpowered for its rating. I did like it though. The cabs I used it with were not the best admittedly.
At the same time I also had a ashdown abm 500 and a te 200w combo. Both of which had more power it felt like, and more bottom end.
So if the updated version has a bit more power and a tad more low end then it should be a fantastic amp. I hope it still retains some of the character of the original.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1491300010' post='3271881']
WHAT?!?!!?

[url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/aguilar-ag700-bass-head/905997"]https://www.gak.co.u...ass-head/905997[/url]

[url="https://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/aguilar-ag700.html"]https://www.musik-pr...ilar-ag700.html[/url]

Wayyyy more than I expected.
[/quote]

Holy crap!
Well that's priced itself out of the water!
I haven't heard anyone raving about that new head either, for that kind of money you could buy two Peavey Mini Mega heads keeping one as a back up!
Madness I tell you - Madness!

Eude

That's a crazy price, especially when the value of the ag500s has plummeted. It's pretty much the same front end I believe and what's 200 watts between friends? Now if they reissued the db680 I'd feel more lenient.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1491334537' post='3272253']
How do you know from looking at a couple of pictures which bits are the same and which are different?
[/quote]

Just the impression I got from reading the blurb.