Why become a member? ×

After a recommendation for a good setup in London area

markdavid

Hi all, am after a recommendation for a place to take my bass for a good setup,am in the south london (Croydon) area.
Have used a local shop that will remain nameless for a setup before and was less than impressed so am after some recommendations.
Also having done a google search i found a place called the Mobile guitar workshop, has anyone used them? Thanks

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1484614631' post='3216928']
have you tried Feline in Croydon? Am also intrigued by the guy in Orpington, let us know how you get on if you end up there.
[/quote] is Feline still running from Martin Phelps? I see they have a slightly different address but i am sure they used to be run by the same people

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1484653699' post='3217158']
is Feline still running from Martin Phelps? I see they have a slightly different address but i am sure they used to be run by the same people
[/quote]

Don't know, owner seems like a v nice guy, did a repair job for me super fast a few months ago. he has glasses and long 'let's rock' hair. If that sounds familiar it's the same people.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I went with Feline guitars, I emailed several places and mentioned that I had a Squier bass with good low action and said that it would be great if I could get my Fender that way also, I suggested also that the Fender may benefit from a fret dress as well as a setup.
Feline said to bring the Fender in and to bring the Squier in and they would try and match the setup, they were the only ones out of the places I emailed to suggest this and this suggestion put me at ease that they would take my preferences on board and not just give me a generic one size fits all setup.
Took both basses in , Jonathan at Feline was surprised by how low I had the action on my Squier and said it was lower than he set his guitars action, we chatted about the setup and he said that he would try and match the action on the Squier but said that it was extremely low, he agreed that a fret dress would help greatly with the action.
Collected the bass this weekend and he did a great job, the action is nice and low and the bass plays like butter, I would recommend Feline without hesitation.