Why become a member? ×

Is there a reason for the apparent dislike for active basses...

Rocker

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1487933314' post='3244242']
They are great... but they can also fail. The metal plate contact is bent to spring against the battery terminals, but over time this gets looser.One day you find yourself with intermittent trouble and if you're like me you'll check ANYTHING before that :rolleyes: - don't be like me ;)
Different brands of batteries als have slightly different dimensions, with some feeling decidedly looser. Another thing to consider.
[/quote]

Ahh you have a good point (and I have a good idea you might be talking about they very same battery bay as I am :D) - well at least I won't feel like I caused it like I will when I inevitably pull the soldering loose on the Ibanez one day!

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1487964759' post='3244716']
Ahh you have a good point (and I have a good idea you might be talking about they very same battery bay as I am :D) - well at least I won't feel like I caused it like I will when I inevitably pull the soldering loose on the Ibanez one day!
[/quote]

Maybe. Mine is Gotoh one I think, on the 2002 Stingray. It's come loose a couple of times. It takes seconds to fix but when it catches you during a gig it may be difficult to remember that, unless it's not the first time ;) If you just check it every time you change the battery and bend the terminal a bit to make a stronger contact I'm sure it'll be ok. A similar type of battery box on my 2003 SUB has been always ok, 'though, so it probably affects some boxes more than others, but it's always good to check.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1485861522' post='3227212']
Arent we talking passive basses.Not passive amps.It's a given that the amp has an EQ and an active circuit. But the bass itself is still passive. Good point though.
[/quote]

Actually quite a few amps that have passive EQs. Especially in the tube-amp range. My poor little MiBass is also a simple passive EQ. For me, the active EQ on the bass is just the same as I would use on an amp. I leave it flat unless something sounds nasty in a given room/hall in which case I tend to roll of a bit of the bass or add a little treble etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fortunate enough to own more than a couple of basses, some active, some not. They all have their own qualities, faults and foibles regardless.

I can't compare my '63 Vox Bassmaster with my ACG Salace; they are different animals but would a drunken punter down the Pig and Truncheon spot the difference? I doubt it.
This just proves to me that whatever we prefer sound wise is for our own benefit and quite probably wasted on the people that we play to.
There is no rhyme or reason to personal preference. I'm not a particular fan of either passive or active over the other. I do like things to have a good tone, regardless of whether that good tone happens to be a passive or an active one.
I like to be able to adjust that tone without fettling with my amp mid set; if I can get to the damned thing in the first place at some of the venues.
How you get to that tone is down to you.

I can't understand why anyone would dislike a bass that can give a fantastic range of tones just because it's active. It all sounds like some sort of 'purist' overkill.
As for disliking an active bass because you don't like changing the battery... really?

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1484599704' post='3216748']
It's the normal basschat argument fodder..:-)

Other examples include

Pbass vs everything else
Fender vs everything else
Flats vs rounds
Neo vs ferrite
Valve vs everything else
Class D vs everything else..

😂
[/quote]
Road worn vs shiny

[quote name='Ironbar' timestamp='1489173843' post='3255030']
My Sire is active and I love it, love it, love it!
[/quote]

If I were The Boss, I'd ban everybody here from mentioning Sire.
Ever since I found they're coming up with a Precision type instrument, I'm salivating excessively. A Precision type, in 5 string, active... aaaargh!!! take my money already!!! :lol:

So, shut up already about some of the best value for money basses out there ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1489249305' post='3255494']
If I were The Boss, I'd ban everybody here from mentioning Sire.
Ever since I found they're coming up with a Precision type instrument, I'm salivating excessively. A Precision type, in 5 string, active... aaaargh!!! take my money already!!! :lol:

So, shut up already about some of the best value for money basses out there ;)
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat!

I buy whatever sounds good to me and what I need - active or passive, 4, 5, 6, 8 or 12 strings, fretted or fretless

At the moment it's the Musicman Sterling I've had for just coming up to a year at the end of this month. I rarely touch the EQ on the bass now and usually use the controls on the amp to suit the room.

When I bought it the first thing I did was fit a new Duracell battery. It still has the same battery in it 11 and a half months later so it's hardly an inconvenience having to change it. I also carry a spare and a battery tester.