Why become a member? ×

Is there a reason for the apparent dislike for active basses...

Rocker

Just wondering. A lot of posters say they prefer passive basses or come across as against active basses. I have an Aria STB-series, which is not a top drawer instrument but satisfactory for learning on, but is an active bass. Not planning on changing it or getting another bass (???) but wondering why some think active basses are not as good as passive instruments.

I also have an Aria, I prefer it passive but flick to active on a couple of tracks that it suits better. Nice to have the flexibility. I also have a Schecter and the range of sound is very impressive but I prefer to be able to dial something in and leave it there then adjust with pedals but that could just be my inexperience showing.

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1484599349' post='3216742']
but wondering why some think active basses are not as good as passive instruments.
[/quote]

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1484599618' post='3216745']
It's just a matter of personal taste.
[/quote]

There, all done.

My only problem with them is that it encourages fiddling with the equaliser rather than proper practising.

Also when used in conjunction with whatever tone shaping section you have on your amp it can over complicate things when trying to get 'that' tone, just by giving you almost infinite parameters.

Having said that, tomorrow I'm planning on ordering a new bass that will have both active and passive options, so hopefully the best of both worlds.

Edited by Cato

I for one love how active EQs can quickly alter the sound of the bass on the fly and offer versatility to the sound. That being said, I do a lot of my toneshaping on the amp or via pedals, and I dont like having to change batteries (not that its hard or takes long, but its just annoying when the batteries fade midway through a session)

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1484599349' post='3216742']
Just wondering. A lot of posters say they prefer passive basses or come across as against active basses. I have an Aria STB-series, which is not a top drawer instrument but satisfactory for learning on, but is an active bass. Not planning on changing it or getting another bass (???) but wondering why some think active basses are not as good as passive instruments.
[/quote]
As subjective as whether you prefer Tomato sauce or Brown sauce on your chips. Go with what you like and ignore the opinions of those who know what you should like better...

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1484602695' post='3216795']
I prefer passive because I want less to fiddle with. Active is a bit of a distraction for me, plus I get to leave my bass plugged in.

[/quote]

This is pretty much the only downside..Plus putting a meter across the battery before a gig to make sure it's 9.2v or better.

I would not have an active bass that could not switch to passive just in case.

There's something attractive about a bass that has no fiddling to do. You simply plug in and go. I don't want to boost the bass or treble. I have the amp EQ flat and the passive bass with the tone wide open.

That said, most of my basses are passive/active, but I don't often use it.

I don't change my tone from the bass much if ever, unless there is an issue while I am playing. I prefer active for the reason it was made, ie, to create a low impedance path to the amp reducing treble loss and noise in the leads.
Turns out I usually use wireless these days, so that doesn't actually matter, but as I never had a downside using active so it never occurs to me to not have it.

Ultimately the deciding choice is what basses you like. If you want some fender P bass, you get it in passive, if you want some ibanez you get it in active. I don't want some P bass, so I get active!

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1484599704' post='3216748']
It's the normal basschat argument fodder..:-)

Other examples include

Pbass vs everything else
Fender vs everything else
Flats vs rounds
Neo vs ferrite
Valve vs everything else
Class D vs everything else..

[/quote]

Heft......don't forget heft.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1484599956' post='3216754']
All my basses are active/passive.. they sound better active..
[/quote]
You do realise that if you run them passive, the pickups are going straight to the jack or running with horribly wrong pot values?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484603254' post='3216807']
Unless the controls on your bass do something very different such as the filter EQ of the Wal or ACG, or they allow you to EQ each pickup separately, I really can't see the point as all they do is duplicate what you should already have available on your amp.
[/quote]

Although I like active basses, that is a very good point.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484603254' post='3216807']
Unless the controls on your bass do something very different such as the filter EQ of the Wal or ACG, or they allow you to EQ each pickup separately, I really can't see the point as all they do is duplicate what you should already have available on your amp.
[/quote]
Thats great if you can actually get to your amp... or don't want to manipulate the EQ mid song without going over to your amp.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1484604252' post='3216827']

You do realise that if you run them passive, the pickups are going straight to the jack or running with horribly wrong pot values?
[/quote]

Seems to work fine courtesy of the magic switch provided by messrs East and glockenklang. Or did you think I was bypassing the preamp circuit completely ?