Why become a member? ×

Ineffective tone control - passive bass

Grangur

Hi all, this last weekend I picked up a new project. It's an Ibanez EXseries.

It's a PJ with passive circuit. The jack doesn't work and the pots were in poor shape. When working the tone control it didn't seem to do much. "No matter", says I. "It'll be okay when I've changed the circuit."

Fast forward to tonight. I've changed the 3 pots in the VVT circuit including using a new orange capacitor. Plug it in with a temporary jack, as I won't have the long reach jack until tomorrow. All is well with the VV, but the T hardly does anything.

All the pots are 250k ohm. The tone is wired with the in/out connected to one of the outside lugs and the capacitor goes from the centre lug to ground.

There's an earth connection soldered across each of the cases of the pots. Another earth goes from the cases to the bridge and one to the jack sleeve connection.

Anyone here got any ideas? Has anyone have this happen before? I can only put it down to the pups. They're okay, nothing special. So far I don't think its a keeper. I just like doing up basses.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1484603440' post='3216813']
The cap could be duff. Do you have any way of measuring it? Many multimeters have capacitance measuring function.
[/quote]
Could be. But the chances of both capacitors; the original and the replacement, both being duff is remote. But I think I'll still change it when I put the jack socket in tomorrow. I've got some spares, so nothing to lose.

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1484606724' post='3216871']
This may sound silly but are they really old dead strings as i have had bass's where the tone control seemed to do next to nothing until i changed strings and then they come alive !
[/quote]
The strings are new. I can see your point though.

The control makes little or no difference.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1484611339' post='3216912']
When you say 'hardly different' is that slightly different or not at all?

I would try it on a different amplifier with a higher impedance input, and check that the input didn't have an active input option.
[/quote]
If it makes any difference I don't think I can hear it. I tried 2 amps. Can't say I tried the active/passive switch though. I do that later.