Why become a member? ×

Matt Freeman (the person, as opposed to the instrument)

Rexel Matador

I'm curious as to what people think of Matt Freeman. His Squier signature model gets a lot of love around here but no-one really mentions the man himself or his playing.

I was about 14 when I first heard Rancid and it was the first band in which my unrefined ears could really make out what the bass was doing. It's quite unusual to have a punk rock band where the bass is such a prominent melodic presence.

I revisited the old Operation Ivy stuff the other day. Even as a kid he was on his game.

Anyone?

I've never heard any of the albums he's played on but I have seen some solos on YouTube. Always meant to check him out further, thanks for reminding me! Good timing actually as I'm working hard trying to get my pick playing chops together.
Any suggestions which albums to hear first?

It's disappointing that Squier discontinued his sig P bass. Really fancied one in the cream..

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1484611902' post='3216915']
I've never heard any of the albums he's played on but I have seen some solos on YouTube. Always meant to check him out further, thanks for reminding me! Good timing actually as I'm working hard trying to get my pick playing chops together.
Any suggestions which albums to hear first?

It's disappointing that Squier discontinued his sig P bass. Really fancied one in the cream..
[/quote]

...And Out Come The Wolves is probably the best starting point with Rancid, though I think Life Won't Wait is probably my favourite. After that check out Let's Go! and Indestructible.

The last two records (Let The Domino's Fall and Honor Is All We Know) haven't been quite so good, plus Matt seems to have reigned in his playing a bit on those.

Rancid (2000) is a bit of a curve ball, it's got some great songs on it, but is a different beast to the rest of their back catalogue, as they decided to write a Hardcore record as oposed to a punk one.

Maxwell Murders is stonking and a lot of fun to play. I like the Lars side of Rancid but never been a fan of Tim.

You clearly like good bsss players in Punk, if you haven't already, check out A Wilhelm Scream. Bryan's gotta be the most progressive punk bassist right now.

He is indeed a great player. My only criticism is that I personally think he overplays on the first Rancid album. I assume this was trying to compensate for the fact that they were a 3-piece on that record and Tim isn't a particularly great guitarist.
Since then, though, he plays a lot more reserved when he needs to.

[quote name='Surrpaul' timestamp='1484638388' post='3216970']
You clearly like good bsss players in Punk, if you haven't already, check out A Wilhelm Scream. Bryan's gotta be the most progressive punk bassist right now.
[/quote]

I'd also add Chris #2 from Anti-Flag alongside this.