Why become a member? ×

Charity Show Ettiquette

NoRhino

There are different types of charity gig.

1. Everyone's time is given for free and the only things that are taken out of the money raised is hall hire, advertising, food and ticket printing. All the rest is given to the small local charity.

In this case, yes, sell tickets, everyone is in it together.

2. Profits go to charity. As above but 'costs' can include silver service waiters, bar staff, organisers beer fund and hotel accommodation etc. Profits go to a huge faceless tax efficient front.

In this case play the gig for money and donate what your conscience feels out of your fee.

There's charity and there's charity.

3. Something in between.

We are doing our yearly charity tour in March for 'March of the Mods' Teenage Cancer Trust. We normally do between 4-6 dates across the country. We are a 10 pcs band so its costly and we normally do a gig prior to the start of these dates to pay for the Tourbus hire and fuel/accommodation.

Once thats over we dont do any more charity gigs unless they are paid of course.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1484845023' post='3219047']
I'm often baffled by the fact that they pay a 17 year old to collect the dirty glasses, but expect a highly trained and competent musician to work for nothing. Note the use of the word work, because that's exactly what you're doing, working.
[/quote]

If enough bands start saying no, these events will start paying musicians.

Blue

Here's another part of charities I take issue with.

The headlining band gets paid but not the local support bands.

Now I've played no pay charity gigs, however it was because little to no travel involved, the chance to play to a large crowd on a large stage with big lights and sound. And the fact that it's fun.

I never got into buying into the "exposure" BS. We know what we are, a regional bar band.

Blue

Edited by blue

For my 60th birthday party I organised a charity concert for an excellent local special needs school. I hired the Garrick Theatre in Stockport, Kyla Brox opened and Virgil & the Accelerators headlined. All three asked for half normal price, which I was happy to pay. Musicians, venue staff, family and friends all had loads of free food and a tab at the bar. Punters bought tickets and heard great music. I got sponsorship for most of the expenses and sent every possible penny to the charity. Everyone was happy.

The musicians thanked me for how well I had looked after them, but it seemed to me just what one should do. Musicians are important and should be looked after well. Especially as guys of that caliber were doing me a favour by coming at all. let alone at half price.

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1484870432' post='3219380']
For my 60th birthday party I organised a charity concert for an excellent local special needs school. I hired the Garrick Theatre in Stockport, Kyla Brox opened and Virgil & the Accelerators headlined. All three asked for half normal price, which I was happy to pay. Musicians, venue staff, family and friends all had loads of free food and a tab at the bar. Punters bought tickets and heard great music. I got sponsorship for most of the expenses and sent every possible penny to the charity. Everyone was happy.

The musicians thanked me for how well I had looked after them, but it seemed to me just what one should do. Musicians are important and should be looked after well. Especially as guys of that caliber were doing me a favour by coming at all. let alone at half price.
[/quote]

That's cool,

I've seen some questionable events where the organizers want bands to play for free and then go out of their way to make things difficult for the bands.

Blue