Why become a member? ×

Charity Show Ettiquette

NoRhino

Been asked to play on a two band charity show. I like and support the charity but the terms are no fee, which I don't mind as a one off, plus we're expected to sell 50 tickets which does annoy me. IMO that's the fund raiser's job.
Currently I want to ofeer to play for nothing and be up front that we will not sell tickets. If that's a deal breaker we'll walk away.
What are BC's thoughts please?

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1484611073' post='3216908']
Been asked to play on a two band charity show. I like and support the charity but the terms are no fee, which I don't mind as a one off, plus we're expected to sell 50 tickets which does annoy me. IMO that's the fund raiser's job.
Currently I want to ofeer to play for nothing and be up front that we will not sell tickets. If that's a deal breaker we'll walk away.
What are BC's thoughts please?
[/quote]

Your already giving them something. I agree, no selling tickets.

Blue

I have done charity shows, you turn up and pay for free. Generally the charity are happy you did so and are helpful, they don't ask anything else.

Expecting you to sell tickets for it seems odd to me. Obviously if you want to then do so, but I certainly wouldn't do it. What do they do if you don't get all 50 tickets, kick you out?

As above.

For a charity gig your only job is to turn up and play.

If you want to mention it to a few mates, that's fine.

But any pressure from the organisers for you to try and sell tickets is bang out of order.

Edited by Cato

We did a few and we're always happy to sell a few to family and friends BUT only because it was a chance for them to come see us play in a nice environment (which with a wedding band you can't usually do). BUT that was our choice and our initiative, not any sort of compulsion or requirement.

If you want to look at it another way, you've already donated half a grand to the charity/event just by agreeing to turn up and play. So it does seem a bit out of order. It's not like you're personally affiliated to the charity or one of their fund raisers.

Unfortunately the word charity has changed over the past 5-10 years. A lot of charities now are not what you think. Only a small percentage of monies raised goes to the charity once all other fees have been deducted - venue hire, bar staff, wages etc. They are run more like a business where costs are met first then excess goes to the charity. In certain cases this could be a very low percentage. This is completely the opposite of the perception of charity where everyone does their part for free in order for the cause.

It might be best to find out how this one operates. If you still want to contribute you may be better playing a pub gig and giving all your gig money directly to the charity.

I have organised charity events and still do. If a band is happy to play for free then we are incredibly grateful and always make sure we at least get them fish and chips and a free bar. Everyone works for free at the events and 100% of the money goes where it should. I would never even think of asking the band to sell tickets, that's what we do. They aren't big events (the last one had about 100 people) but they are always great nights. I appreciate not all charity nights would match that model and as many are run by volunteers then the organisation will vary along with the organisers abilities and finding clued up motivated people willing to help out is so hard I invariably end up doing it all myself.

Why not tell the organisers the best you can do is publicise where to buy tickets on your bands Facebook etc. And that you'll make every effort to help but taking responsibility to sell tickets you'd be worried you'll let them down because you can only just commit time for the gig...

Also, check there's a PA! Paid six quid to watch my mate at a charity gig with the singer putting his mic through one of those tiny tiny toy amp things. As soon as their set finished the singer from the next stage was running over to swipe it so she could be heard! Bit of a farce.

I'm finding more and more that with 'charity' events the people that tend to lose out are the bands (assuming they normally charge a fee) and the charity themselves. People selling food and drink and other merchandise tend to come out of it quite well. Don't get me started on the rise of the 'charity' pub sausage and beer festival.....

I think it's a cheek asking you to shift tickets as well as playing for free.

Thanks for the wise opinions as usual. I've decided to tell them that we're happy to waive our fee to help the occasion but won't sell tickets as that's the fundraisers' role. If that's a game changer for them we'll say thanks for asking but it's not for us this time and walk away with dignity intact.

Maybe the selling tickets thing is that they believe they're doing you a favour by letting you play as your band will be 'getting exposure' so you have to prove that you are worthy of the opportunity. If that is the case it alters the dynamic, and donatating your time and skills will not be appreciated.

Just interested - what is the penalty if you don't sell 50 tickets? Or were you asked to buy 50 tickets up front?

Sounds like the charity wants a band with guaranteed audience to help boost attendance.

I just wondered if it was a "we hope you'd bring in at least 50" or "don't bring 50 and we charge you a load of penalties"?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1484662834' post='3217262']
Maybe the selling tickets thing is that they believe they're doing you a favour by letting you play as your band will be 'getting exposure' so you have to prove that you are worthy of the opportunity. If that is the case it alters the dynamic, and donatating your time and skills will not be appreciated.

[/quote]

I just lurve those thar exposure dollars :-)

We did play charity shows in 2013 and were well paid and fed at every show. The people behind that were a different league and taught me a lot. This time I haven't met the organiser yet and only been contacted via the other band. I want to play the gig and support the charity but definitely will not sell to play.