Why become a member? ×

Anthony Jackson's line on "Guy Lafleur" by Steve Khan

Jazzjames

Hi everyone,

Here's a little something I recorded last night after working on this line for a few days. You can see the notation on my website. The link is in the video description.

[url="https://youtu.be/LwdjfNtCl0k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwdjfNtCl0k&ab_channel=Jazzbassjames[/url]

This live album is awesome. "The Suitcase" by Steve Khan with Anthony Jackson on bass and Dennis Chambers on drums, recorded live at Stadtgarten, in Köln in 1994.

The intensity of this outro is immense. The shift from the 12/8 to the 6/4 feels huge, and the way AJ attacks the new meter is incredible. His ideas and phrasing, allied with his execution are an amazing combination.

This transcription really underlined to me how much AJ has studied the great Motown bassist James Jamerson and his use of chromaticism. The use of open strings within these lines is interesting. I have notated a lot of them on the transcription below. Bar 14 is a good example of how the open strings get used as passing notes down to the next note. This originally comes from upright bass.

AJ wrote a really interesting transcription and analysis of Jamerson's bassline on "How long has this evening train been gone", which appears in the book "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". I recommend you check that out, and then you can see his findings at work here and on the rest of this album.

The most challenging aspect of getting this piece 'together' for the video was controlling the notes on the B string and getting them to be clear and controlled. AJ is a master of this register. He makes it sound so easy...

Anthony Jackson is a huge inspiration to me and is one of the great musicians of our time.

James

Edited by Jazzjames