Why become a member? ×

The Garage, Islington

toneknob

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1484753959' post='3218119']
On the other hand, is a pint of Wychwood's Dogs Bollocks, a brewery i used to live opposite and actually work for before they became huge-ish
[/quote]

I've not had that stuff in years. See also Fiddler's Elbow and Black Wych; they are sorely missed. Never been sure whether it was Wychwood themselves that dropped a lot of those old recipes, or whether it due to pressure from Marston to devote more capacity to making more Hobgoblin...did you get much info from the inside?

It's a shame that most people don't welcome a more innovative and progressive approach to clubs and music.

A friend of mine recently launched a 'semi-ironic, multi-media, poly-sensual event' where guests were invited to lie down in the road outside a launderette on Neasden High St and drink their own piss while listening to an 8-track tape of The Osmonds' Greatest Hits. Heartbreakingly, only four people turned up to support this fledgling enterprise.

When the London club scene goes dark it'll be because of the public's narrow-mindedness. And the bullying councils, of course

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1484754444' post='3218130']
I've not had that stuff in years. See also Fiddler's Elbow and Black Wych; they are sorely missed. Never been sure whether it was Wychwood themselves that dropped a lot of those old recipes, or whether it due to pressure from Marston to devote more capacity to making more Hobgoblin...did you get much info from the inside?
[/quote]

No moose, i didnt get much info from the inside regarding those sorts of things, because it was a mini brewery when i worked there.

Just 2 small-ish vats, one brewer who was also the owner, a secretary ( part time ) and a driver.

In fact when i said i lived opposite the brewery, that was later when they got big, and moved their operation to opposite my back garden.

The only info i have is from the old days of working for Chris Moss ( the owner / brewer when it was small ) and he was a friend too.

The story he gave me was that another guy started the brewery under a different name, which was called The Glenny Brewery,
after the thieving original owner. I knew him too, but not as a friend. He eventually got my pal Chris in as a partner when the business was still tiny

( I cannot remember at which point it changed name to the Wychwood Brewery, but i think Chris did that )

Then the other guy decided to sell up his share to Chris and promptly plimsolled himself off to Canada. Sometime later it became evident why.

This guy had been cooking the books and had also been stuffing the Lec company and other utilities. When the paperwork / threats finally landed on Chris's lap, he was in debt to the tune of £77,000

Chris didnt really deal with that side of things in early days of the brewery being just the 2 of them.

But he got himself sorted after a few years, and decided that the best way forward was to take on some financial brewery wizzkids. Wychwood took off like snot off a wet shiny shovel

At one point they owned something like 49 pubs. Sadly Chris died after falling downstairs at home, though i believe he may have been a tad drunk at the time.

I went to his funeral. Very sad after all he'd been through, though he did see his baby take off, if only for a short while

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1484754444' post='3218130']

[/quote]
You can still buy Black Wych?

Hook Norton is my favourite 'local' brewer. Old Hooky and standard Hooky are class beers.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1484750251' post='3218074']
...(And again, I say this with the caveat that a lot of these "craft" breweries do make great beer...in fact most of the ones in Derby are excellent. Perhaps it's a London thing...)
[/quote]

You'll know The Brunswick then. Nuff said.

http://www.brunswickderby.co.uk/

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1484754509' post='3218131']
A friend of mine recently launched a 'semi-ironic, multi-media, poly-sensual event' where guests were invited to lie down in the road outside a launderette on Neasden High St and drink their own piss while listening to an 8-track tape of The Osmonds' Greatest Hits. Heartbreakingly, only four people turned up to support this fledgling enterprise.
[/quote]
Well no wonder it failed. The Osmonds? Pfft. [i]Proper[/i] irony needs Slik, Milli Vanilli or the Goombay Dance Band at the very least.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1484755835' post='3218156']
No moose, i didnt get much info from the inside regarding those sorts of things, because it was a mini brewery when i worked there.

Just 2 small-ish vats, one brewer who was also the owner, a secretary ( part time ) and a driver.

In fact when i said i lived opposite the brewery, that was later when they got big, and moved their operation to opposite my back garden.

The only info i have is from the old days of working for Chris Moss ( the owner / brewer when it was small ) and he was a friend too.

The story he gave me was that another guy started the brewery under a different name, which was called The Glenny Brewery,
after the thieving original owner. I knew him too, but not as a friend. He eventually got my pal Chris in as a partner when the business was still tiny

( I cannot remember at which point it changed name to the Wychwood Brewery, but i think Chris did that )

Then the other guy decided to sell up his share to Chris and promptly plimsolled himself off to Canada. Sometime later it became evident why.

This guy had been cooking the books and had also been stuffing the Lec company and other utilities. When the paperwork / threats finally landed on Chris's lap, he was in debt to the tune of £77,000

Chris didnt really deal with that side of things in early days of the brewery being just the 2 of them.

But he got himself sorted after a few years, and decided that the best way forward was to take on some financial brewery wizzkids. Wychwood took off like snot off a wet shiny shovel

At one point they owned something like 49 pubs. Sadly Chris died after falling downstairs at home, though i believe he may have been a tad drunk at the time.

I went to his funeral. Very sad after all he'd been through, though he did see his baby take off, if only for a short while
[/quote]

Thank you for that; I had no idea the business had such a sad backstory to it. Perhaps unsurprisingly they didn't go into much detail on the brewery tour, other than mentioning that the original founder had passed away. Good to know that he was still around to enjoy some of his success, if only for a short while as you say.

One thing the Wychwood brewery did....

Every Christmas, they brought a shyte load of beer round to all those house owners who's back gardens overlooked the brewery ( about 8 or 9 of us )

When i say a load, it was brought round on a sack truck !!

A little thank you because of the noise they made every morning throughout the year. I think some of my friend Chris's philosophies in life rubbed off on the bewery whizz kids

Edited by fleabag