Why become a member? ×

Bow for beginners on a budget

Jateca

Hello! I couldn't find a topic with information on this when I did a search, so posting a new one

I've recently been playing upright bass and am looking to add arco techniques to my arsenal. Basically I'm looking to find the best value bow on a budget. I'm looking to spend somewhere in the region of £100-£120 and am looking for a french styled bow, ideally made from wood and with real horse hair.

Does anyone have any suggestions for brands or where I could get one? I hesitate to pull the trigger on an online sale without reviews to back it up, and the only ones available locally are wayyy out of my price range

Also, since I'm asking, would I be right in thinking that a 3/4 size bow would be the standard (as 3/4 is the standard size for instruments)

Thanks a lot!

I have a wood bow from Yitamusic (eBay seller) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Double-Basses/16222/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=yitamusic

I haven't used it enough to know how good it is but my bass teacher reckons that they're good value for money and quite a few other people online have recommended them.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1484687686' post='3217589']
I think you'll get a better carbon fibre bow in that price range, does it have to be wood?
[/quote]

I suppose not, I was just going on what was suggested from some of the reading I've done... do you have any suggestions? :)

And thanks for the tip tinyd, I'll have a little look at that

cheers!

Well to combine the two replies I've got a carbon Yita bow! I think mine was around £90 but they do some that are a bit fancier for a little bit more, I think a few people here have one and I'm fairy sure the last I heard Jake Newman from this very parish was using his in London's west end?

Have a look on eBay for Yitamusic and have a Google. :)