Why become a member? ×

Albums you think are crap but are critically acclaimed...

julesb

By The Way by RHCP for me. I just thought it was a sappy overproduced mess with a couple of good tunes (This is the Place and Don't Forget Me).

Also, St Anger got a lot of favourable reviews from the rock and metal press as some kind of 'raw return to form'. I just thought it was rubbish from the outset.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1484688598' post='3217597']
Not sure it counts at critically acclaimed, but loads of Iron Maiden fans seem to like Powerslave but it's the only album of theirs that I can't find anything I like on. Very samey and nothing original to me.

And at risk of being hung drawn and quartered, most Beatles albums. They just don't do anything for me.
[/quote]
I know what you're saying but it was followed by their longest tour ever. Have you listened to the isolated bass tracks from Powerslave? I found the sound of the bass extremely good.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1486896452' post='3235271']

I know what you're saying but it was followed by their longest tour ever. Have you listened to the isolated bass tracks from Powerslave? I found the sound of the bass extremely good.
[/quote]
I can see where you are coming from but as a whole I would just never reach for it on the shelf. I am a bit biased as I love PDs voice so keep being drawn to the first two albums, but then number of the beast and seventh son take some beating. Just nothing from Powerslave shouts out enough I guess.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1486899933' post='3235319']

I can see where you are coming from but as a whole I would just never reach for it on the shelf. I am a bit biased as I love PDs voice so keep being drawn to the first two albums, but then number of the beast and seventh son take some beating. Just nothing from Powerslave shouts out enough I guess.
[/quote]
How about Piece of Mind?

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1486900235' post='3235324']

How about Piece of Mind?
[/quote]
It's ok, but not up there with the best, come to think of it I can't remember when I last listened to it either. Somewhere in time is also a bit up and down. I guess it's those mid years where I think they lost a bit of direction. I can't think of a track I don't love on the first two albums, similar on seventh son, number of the beast starts wobbly with invaders and then is brilliant. I can't really comment on the latest stuff as I haven't really followed them for a while.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1486900979' post='3235333']

It's ok, but not up there with the best, come to think of it I can't remember when I last listened to it either. Somewhere in time is also a bit up and down. I guess it's those mid years where I think they lost a bit of direction. I can't think of a track I don't love on the first two albums, similar on seventh son, number of the beast starts wobbly with invaders and then is brilliant. I can't really comment on the latest stuff as I haven't really followed them for a while.
[/quote]
Fair enough. Not a fan of their latest stuff either but always see them live.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1486902867' post='3235350']

Fair enough. Not a fan of their latest stuff either but always see them live.
[/quote]
They are still one of my favourite live bands. They were the first big band I ever saw live. It was at the assembly rooms in Derby and you were,supposed to be 16 to get in unaccompanied, I was 14 and a bit nervous about getting caught. I had bought the ticket from way ahead in Derby (best record shop in the world imho) and the guy had told me to just tell them my birth date and age if they asked and I would be ok. The guy on the door asked my age and I replied 16 and gave my birthday, to which he replied 'but wouldn't that make you 17?'. All I could think of to say was 'oh yeah, I forgot my last birthday' he looked down his nose at me and waved me past. It was an amazing night but my ears didn't stop ringing for nearly a week.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1486903186' post='3235352']

They are still one of my favourite live bands. They were the first big band I ever saw live. It was at the assembly rooms in Derby and you were,supposed to be 16 to get in unaccompanied, I was 14 and a bit nervous about getting caught. I had bought the ticket from way ahead in Derby (best record shop in the world imho) and the guy had told me to just tell them my birth date and age if they asked and I would be ok. The guy on the door asked my age and I replied 16 and gave my birthday, to which he replied 'but wouldn't that make you 17?'. All I could think of to say was 'oh yeah, I forgot my last birthday' he looked down his nose at me and waved me past. It was an amazing night but my ears didn't stop ringing for nearly a week.
[/quote]
I saw them live in 88 on their 7th son tour. I was 15 in the front row at a stadium. I saw the same show in 2013 twice and caught Nickos drum stick. Going in May to O2 but got a seating ticket from far end. Last December met Harris after the British Lion gig and got a pic plus signature. Good to see IM fans here not all that marcus miller (metaphorically speaking ) enthusiasts.

Anything by the Grateful Dead. So, so dull. Also Arcade Fire pre Reflektor, just don't understand the hype at all. They always sounded to me like your average up themselves indie lot.

+1 to Primus, Joy Division. Elton John, Dylan etc