Why become a member? ×

Albums you think are crap but are critically acclaimed...

julesb

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1484736370' post='3217860']
I dislike Frank Zappa. Far too smart and tuneless for my taste.

I happen to be in a 4 piece band with 3 Zappa fans who constantly quote lines from Zappa songs. Usually the same f%^&ing ones, every f*&^ing week. I believe there is a small possibility they do it on purpose :ph34r:
[/quote]
If I was in your band, I'd do that to you too, if I knew it would get on your wick :)

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1484736547' post='3217865']
I am another one for Nevermind by Nirvana. I'm sure it's an age thing as kids in the years below me at school loved grunge but I hated it all.

Makes me wonder what critically panned albums we all love....
[/quote]

Production on nevermind is dodgy. In Utero is streets ahead.

I love Mingus by Joni Mitchell which never gets great reviews (always ** or ***) when it should be ****** (this might be controversial😃)

Edited by julesb

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1484739801' post='3217912']
You dislike Zappa because he was [i]too smart???[/i] You must be loving the current geopolitical shenanigans in that case...
[/quote]
[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1484741324' post='3217938']
If I was in your band, I'd do that to you too, if I knew it would get on your wick :)
[/quote]

That's another thing about Zappa fans, they are just sooo militant.... :)

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1484705365' post='3217714']
Donald Fagen, The Nightfly.
Think I'm the only muso ever who doesn't like this. Those irritating 'clever' songs played
so perfectly with no soul/feel. Liked early Steely Dan stuff, but then it all ended up sounding like this.
[/quote]While we're on it, Steely Dan - Aja - one piece of lift music blending into the next.

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1484732603' post='3217807']
Hejira by Joni Mitchell. I can't stand her voice and that faux hipster poetry. I understand intellectually how revolutionary Jaco's playing was, but it does nothing for me.

There! I've insulted two "icons" and feel no remorse.
[/quote]Can you post something you think is good so I can gauge your musical philistine-ness?

Never ever, ever got The Doors or The Velvet Underground. I find most Radiohead totally "meh!" and would probably have quite liked The Smiths if it wasn't for Morrissey.

The one that annoys me that I don't enjoy is Grand Prix by Teenage Fanclub. On paper all the elements say I should love it but I've never connected with it.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1484758125' post='3218191']
Ok I'm gonna say it - he's been dead long enough now...
Ace of Spades. Forty-ish minutes of melody-free garbage.
[/quote]

Even Lemmy grew to hate that song, although more because he got bored of playing it. Personally I enjoy it, but I think motorhead have a lot of better songs. Thing is, ace of spades fit the demographic perfectly, Lemmy's brand of high speed (and high, speeding) rock n roll played as loud as the amps could go.

I agree with most of the posts on here though. I can't stand the smiths, never got that whole music to slit your wrists to vibe.

Edited by Froggy