Why become a member? ×

Vintage V4 Tony Butler Bass Advice

luckman67

I am 50 this year & my wife asked me if I wanted a bass (not expensive) to mark the occasion. I have my Am.Std Precision in Olympic white / Maple neck strung with flats. I looked at the V4MTB only £248 classic look and if I put rounds on it, then I'll have the best of both sounds. Here is my question though is the body a full Fender body thickness,and not the thinner Squier type of body (it is a pet peeve of mine). And what is the weight like on these?

Does anyone here own one and is the neck pocket thickness the same as a MIM/MIA Precision? I don't want her to spend a lot on a bass, that may not get used as much as my Am.Std. Just thinking as well how wide is the nut on this bass?

Thanks in advance

I had one but have since sold it. Mine was light and would neck dive. I read a BGM review and they had a fairly heavy one. I even contacted the online shop i bought it from and they said they all weigh the same as mine. I started a thread here about it and got some good advice if you search.

That said it was a nice bass to play. It felt and looked good. After playing my Stingray for years it felt inferior but good value for the price.

I would suggest trying one out first if you can, even if it is a fairly cheap bass.

Out of the other options out there you could do worse.

The guys l sold it to wanted a cheap Fender copy and put flats on it.

Edited by mep

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1484692154' post='3217650']
I am 50 this year & my wife asked me if I wanted a bass (not expensive) to mark the occasion. I have my Am.Std Precision in Olympic white / Maple neck strung with flats. I looked at the V4MTB only £248 classic look and if I put rounds on it, then I'll have the best of both sounds. Here is my question though is the body a full Fender body thickness,and not the thinner Squier type of body (it is a pet peeve of mine). And what is the weight like on these?

Does anyone here own one and is the neck pocket thickness the same as a MIM/MIA Precision? I don't want her to spend a lot on a bass, that may not get used as much as my Am.Std. Just thinking as well how wide is the nut on this bass?

Thanks in advance
[/quote] If I were spending that kinda money on a new bass I would look at the Yamaha BB424 - lovely things and good value for money. Maybe not that classic look though if that's your thing. Secondhand... the world starts to become a more interesting oyster.