Why become a member? ×

Phaser dilemma

radiophonic

I want a phaser. I've tried out a few (MXR Phase 90, Boss PH3, EH Bad Stone) and I've decided that the sound of the MXR P90 is exactly what I want.

However there are problems. First, having the power inlet on the side is a real problem for my pedal board. I don't want to have to change a load of other things just to accommodate a phaser. More substantively, I'm after a long slow sweep and the rate setting on the Phase 90 has to be turned to it's absolute minimum to get the rate I need.

So. What I want is something that sounds like a Phase 90 and is as transparent, but has a greater range of adjustment and possibly some control over intensity. Does such an item exist? Based on what I've managed to try so far, the Boss could sort of fake it using the 4 stage setting, but sounded less transparent to me and the Bad Stone just sounded horrible - very dark and muddy. I'm not after squelchy envelope sounds - just a really smooth sweeping phase change to help carry slow lines. Any options?

Edited by radiophonic

MXR Phase 95 - choose between Phase 90 and more subtle Phase 45 sounds, tiny pedal board footprint, and the 9V socket is on the top, not the side. Also has Script button for further variation.

EDIT - corrected to say Phase 45!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1484729414' post='3217769']
MXR Phase 95 - choose between Phase 90 and more subtle Phase 95 sounds, tiny pedal board footprint, and the 9V socket is on the top, not the side. Also has Script button for further variation.
[/quote]

I did look at the 95 (visual only). My understanding was that the difference between the 45 and 90 was only the number of stages (effectively the phase angle shift). I might be wrong, but I did compare the 2 and 4 stage phasing on the Boss and the difference didn't give a perception of slower sweep - it's just a shorter sweep isn't it? Pity, because the top mounted power socket would make it a shoe-in otherwise.

I'm not sure exactly what a phase 90 sound like because I've never owned one but I recently got a earthquakes devices grand orbiter and it's awesome on bass it can do really slow sweeps and it's quite tweekable so I'm pretty sure you could get the sound you wanted, easily the best phaser I've had or tried!

[quote name='perrybassbp' timestamp='1484732655' post='3217810']
I'm not sure exactly what a phase 90 sound like because I've never owned one but I recently got a earthquakes devices grand orbiter and it's awesome on bass it can do really slow sweeps and it's quite tweekable so I'm pretty sure you could get the sound you wanted, easily the best phaser I've had or tried!
[/quote]

I took a listen on youtube but it doesn't sound like what I'm after - although inevitably demos seem to fixate on the most extreme / novel sounds. What I'm after is superficially very simple, but has to be perfectly implemented. I suspect that I just need a Phase 90 and will have to live with the slight limitations (and possibly lose the Tuner from my pedal board).

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1484735570' post='3217846']
I'm sure you can deal with the power socket at the side, just use a low profile extension or something? Or move the socket to the back? There must be room as it has a battery compartment
[/quote]

Not sure about that. I'm powering everything off either a Boss LS2 or TU3 with a daisy chain. The board is a pedal train Nano+ and space is deliberately tight. I only take the effects i need and it stops me going crazy. One in. One out. A right angled daisy chain may do the trick if it reaches - I think Mooer make one. I'm not keen about drilling the enclosure either in case I want to sell it on. Why do MXR do this? Makes no sense to me.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1484740866' post='3217931']
this should do the trick

[url="http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/power-all-cables/cable-male-1-7mm-right-angle-barrel-adaptor"]http://www.godlyke.c...-barrel-adaptor[/url]
[/quote]

Doesn't that reverse the polarity?

ooops! Sorry, yes, don't buy that!! They do do one though

[url="http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/power-all-cables/power-all-cable-black-right-angle-extension-jumper"]http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/power-all-cables/power-all-cable-black-right-angle-extension-jumper[/url]

I'm sure there are some on ebay for £1 if you have a search