Why become a member? ×

NAMM 2017

Tee

Anything of note to look out for at NAMM 2017?

I know Mike Watt's Reverend 'Wattplower' bass will get its official launch. I'm not a Reverend fan, but I'm a huge Watt fan and I've seen him play his prototype bass live, just a few feet infront of me and its quite punchy/meaty sounding for a short scale. The body is thicker than it might look, from the front and the neck dimensions are copied from his '65 EB-3. So I bet it will play/sound good. The colours are a bit different (yellow or green).
Nice to see a company giving him some recognition.

Edited by Tee

I worked for a company that had brand ambassadors that took our money and never went near the product, so I'm always wary of stuff like this. He's too associated with his original bass and I kind feel that many perspective purchasers would likely be going, 'Mike who?' before going to look at the Fenders. Maybe a year down the line, I'll be proved wrong.

Sure, I know people will go, 'Well, Geddy Lee, blah blah blah.' He didn't actually play a Japanese build one live though did he?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1484738203' post='3217883']
I worked for a company that had brand ambassadors that took our money and never went near the product, so I'm always wary of stuff like this. He's too associated with his original bass and I kind feel that many perspective purchasers would likely be going, 'Mike who?' before going to look at the Fenders. Maybe a year down the line, I'll be proved wrong.

[/quote]

I think Fender or Gibson could have released versions (Tele bass/NR Thunderbird, EB-3...). While in recent years he's been known for his modded EB-0/3s I still associate his previous basses with him, from his Minutemen/Firehose/solo career, but then i'm a fan. I'm just happy for the guy, he deserves the recognition.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1484794189' post='3218533']
I'm in Las Vegas at the moment and tempted to drive to NAMM for a day - any tips? Can you buy tickets for entry at the door?
[/quote]

IIRC it's supposed to be a trade-only show and not technically open to the general public, so unless you have a contact there who can get you in, I wouldn't risk it.

Sustain pedal. I want one.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2017-has-this-plus-pedal-piano-style-sustain-won-namm-before-its-started-647110?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=16750&utm_term=3973837&utm_content=297305

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1484992708' post='3220190']
Watt talking about his bass. :)

[url="https://youtu.be/gnVyH-tZ9Ac"]http://youtu.be/gnVyH-tZ9Ac[/url]
[/quote]

Pleasure to watch that. Still full of enthusiasm!

The bass looks nice too. Think I fancy one. :lol:

http://reverendguitars.com/basses/mike-watt-wattplower

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' timestamp='1485009864' post='3220378']
Anyone over here in Anaheim attending the show, come and say hi, am working on the Enfield Sims stand, we have George Anderson from Shakatak here with us too! Booth 3496 in Hall D, near the back of the hall as you enter from the front!
[/quote]
Wish I had seen this earlier. I just got home from a 2 1/2 day stint at the show, which was just crazy busy at the booth I was in. I did get to spend a few minutes with Sibob, which I enjoyed a great deal. This was my first year officially exhibiting any of my stuff, and I'm still having a hard time digesting how it all played out. I was there mostly to get feedback on my open source onboard preamp design, but the amp I brought along as an afterthought ended up being in use for pretty much every minute of the show. It was kind of surreal to watch the show open via webcast while I was in the airport waiting for my plane, and seeing someone killing it on my amp, which I didn't think would even be set up until I arrived.

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1484732285' post='3217799']

[/quote]

I quite like the look and concept of that bass - P-style pickup, short scale, nice colour. When I saw Mike Watt with the Stooges he was playing some kind of EB, which I've never really fancied.

On NAMM and the whole 'new kit' thing, the trends I've seen in recent years are:
(1) Cheaper knock-offs of famous pedals (e.g. Phase 90, Tube Screamer) in micro-size boxes;
(2) Ever more far-out boutique pedals with (as far as I can see) very limited application, despite huge cost; and
(3) Yet more (and presumably more accurate) digital modelling amps.

Only (1) is of any interest to me (for guitar anyway), but I live in hope of a pleasant surprise...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1485162458' post='3221542']
I don't think the bass side of things had anything super exciting, for my tastes anyway. Loads of awesome guitar stuff though.
[/quote]

Just curious: what would it take to get you excited? I barely even noticed that there were guitars there beyond the ones in the next booth to me and the Ibanez and Heritage jazz boxes.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1485196907' post='3222028']

Just curious: what would it take to get you excited? I barely even noticed that there were guitars there beyond the ones in the next booth to me and the Ibanez and Heritage jazz boxes.
[/quote]

I had a look at the bass releases, obviously not all of them as I didn't go, but it was the usual boutique P and J, a few more daring designs like Ibanez, then Fenders latest Professional series which I won't be bothering with. Lot's of mini Class D amps, the only one of which I currently find interesting is Genzler.

Whereas guitar had interesting designs like the Musicman St Vincent, Valentine, etc...lot's of guitar effects that are clearly more fun to use on guitar (latest delay and reverb by Source Audio), recently released Boss pedals, and so on.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1485249352' post='3222376']
I had a look at the bass releases, obviously not all of them as I didn't go, but it was the usual boutique P and J, a few more daring designs like Ibanez, then Fenders latest Professional series which I won't be bothering with. Lot's of mini Class D amps, the only one of which I currently find interesting is Genzler.

Whereas guitar had interesting designs like the Musicman St Vincent, Valentine, etc...lot's of guitar effects that are clearly more fun to use on guitar (latest delay and reverb by Source Audio), recently released Boss pedals, and so on.
[/quote]

You might take a look at the Talkbass NAMM picture thread, there were a ton of non-Fender based builds at the show, although the luthier whose booth I was in sells about three Jazz Bass variants for every one of anything else, much to his chagrin. Genzler was two booths down from me, really liked the new smaller "combo" format. Really cool people to hang out with too. The new smaller Trickfish rigs got a lot of love, as did the Quilter stuff.